CLARINS Gelee Auto Bronzant Express - Self-Tanning Instant Gel

Filtered by skin type : Dry
CLARINS Gelee Auto Bronzant Express - Self-Tanning Instant Gel
Gelee Auto Bronzant Express - Self-Tanning Instant Gel

on 6/15/2014 11:15:00 PM

Though at first when I had a sample I loved it, so I bought a 7 oz tube. I like the consistency of the gel. What I hate is the smell. It's awful! I thought it was just me but one day after I put it on and sat down, my boyfriend asked me what that strange smell was, and he has a bad nose. I also noticed that when I went to scrub my legs to put some more on, it's like I'm scrubbing it off because the water is dirty. I'm going to use it till the end because I don't like wasting money but I won't be buying it again. I want to try St.Tropez or Tart.

on 5/14/2012 7:02:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Grey, Curly, Medium

Beautiful effect. Not exactly instant, but pretty quick. Natural looking, not orange. Smells like dried fruit,,,but not overpowering. Generous amount in tube. Will definitely buy again!

on 5/12/2012 10:45:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

This self-tanner works very gradually on my skin, I am NW15 and even if I applied it every day the difference wasn't very big, maybe my skin went up to NW20. What I really liked was that it faded in a pretty natural way, I didn't have orange scales all over my skin a week after using it, I just became paler and paler with every day. It did leave me a bit streaky which was quite surprising to me because the product isn't that ''pigmented''. I really disliked the scent, it's not as bad as the Clarins self-tanner with mirabelle oil but it's still very unpleasant, I much prefer the standard self-tanning scent (that most people seem to hate).
Overall I though it was an OK product but the Victoria's secret tinted self-tanner is still by far the best one I have ever used (not to mention much cheaper). Even if I couldn't buy that one the Garnier Ambre solair dry body mist and the Collistar (italian brand) self-tanners are also better and cheaper than this product.

on 5/15/2010 5:40:00 PM

I'm going to start by telling you that I had a terrible experience with a self tanner a very long time ago when I first tried an inexpensive one by Coppertone... does anyone remember that horrible product??? it was the dual pump, which had left me streaky and orange. I never touched a self-tanner again since. Lucky for us bronze lovers who are also concerned about skin damage, self tanners have come a long way!
Earlier in the year, I had a wedding to go to and it was still very cold so there was no chance I was going to get a miracle tan without stepping into a tanning salon, which I wasn't prepared to do! So I went to my beloved Clarins counter and asked a few questions, after reading read rave reviews about this particular self-tanner. I was still apprehensive about purchasing this product because of my past experience and also because of the price tag ($35 CAD). I caved and bought it because I really had no choice... I had about a week to go! I started by exfoliating as suggested and I applied that evening after the shower. As many reviewers stated, it does have a strange smell, but that doesn't last long. It doesn't take too long to absorb, although it does feel a little sticky at first. I didn't see too much of a difference the first night, but I was warned about that. I think you need to be patient when you start with this product! I put it on again the following evening and started to see the difference! I wasn't orange, I wasn't streaky, just lightly tanned and natural! By the third night I could defnitely see that you can easily achieve the color you want by layering this product, and it looks great! I haven't used it since, but I will start again as it's getting warm and I'm pretty pasty white, which isn't fun for anyone to see in the sun...I am very happy with this product and would definitely recommend to anyone! Will repurchase!

on 4/28/2010 9:59:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

OK, this is the first and only self tanner iíve ever tried, so...
I have pasty white legs and no plans to sun bathe, but summerís coming, and i want to look less larval. I figured iíd test this before my legs might be visible when itís warmer. I exfoliated my legs in the shower before my first application, as recommended. I read how horrible self tanners smell, but this wasnít so terrible and the chemical scent went away fairly quickly. I applied it as suggested, with my hands, using circular motions, and i had no obvious streaking. It dried fairly quickly and didnít rub off on my clothes. It made my skin slightly less white. A week or so later, i applied a second coat without showering or exfoliating first. Still no streaking, and the skin on my legs is now a nice golden color. Not quite my natural tan color, but definitely not orange. Iím satisfied.

on 7/27/2009 3:39:00 AM

I'm very pale normally & most self tanners either make me look orange or don't really do much of anything at all. I've tried all the drugstore name brands (L'oreal & the like) as well as some higher end ones (Bare Escentuals, Repechage,etc.) but nothing works as well as Clarins. This gel goes on so easily & dries very quickly-no tacky residue. It doesn't have that awful self tanner smell either. The result is a nice realistic looking tan with no streaks. It fades evenly as well. This is totally goof proof (provided that you exfoliate beforehand). This is my HG self tanner!

on 2/18/2009 6:16:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

I honestly have to say I'm baffled as to how this product gets such a good rating !!

I'd been using St Tropez for the last few years - it's my HG self-tanner, extremly natural colour and very even, lasts ages, little smell, and I always get loads of compliment son it... but the dark colour got all over my sheets so I had to change my bedclothes right away the next morning. And not an option when my bf is over!

I figured I'd give another self-tanner a whirl and wanted a good one, so of course I come onto trusted MUA for reviews and ideas. This one seemed "the one"! And I've done so well with MUA before.

This time, unfortunately, it was not to be. Everything went wrong that could go wrong with a self-tanner.

Firstly, it's way too expensive for the amount you get (but I was willing to try anyway). Ä25 for a small tube is crazy.

On opening the tube, the smell nearly knocked me out - it was AWFUL. Luckily it faded a bit after 20 min, as others have said, but it was still there and not nice - and the next day I could smell off my skin even after showering. ew

It took AGES to dry. I was standing around naked in the cowboy stance for over 20 minutes and my skin STILL had that tacky "not dry yet!" feeling.

The colour - came up too dark on my face, streaky on my legs, patchy on my upper arms, and awful around my toes. And overall it was a distinctly orange-hue. Looked very fake.

Finally, the day after I put it on, my face broke out in an awful rash - tiny little weeping breakouts all over my forehead and chin, which dried up and scabbed. Needless to say, looked terrible.

Luckily, this product seems to have no staying power. It was gone without any exfoliation within 2 days.

I will NOT be re-purchasing, and will be warning my friends off this product, especially those with sensitive skin. Back to my St Tropez!!

on 11/30/2008 4:50:00 AM

I was a bit sceptical reading the reviews, but I had a wedding to go to and I needed to tan my legs.

I don't want to look "You must be wearing fake tan because there is no way you are that brown naturally", and that is why I don't like the L'Oreal airbrush tan. Yes, it looked great, but it was just too dark. I do tan a little bit and I wanted a product that I can use on my upper thighs and stomach etc for when I go to the beach to avoid the horrid tanned legs and white thighs syndrome.
I also didn't want to smell!

This product was fantastic. Very little smell, medium tan (I'll reapply if I want to go darker), didn't come off on the bedsheets, no streaks (not even on my feet!), nice natural look. I put this on after I had a shower last thing at night and the next morning I was super-happy with the result. The price is not nice, but I will be repurchasing!

on 9/19/2007 11:32:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Finally someone got this self-tanner thing right! This gives me a soft healthy glow with no signs of streaking or oranging. My HG tanning product.

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

I love this self tanner. I have tried many self tanners that range from way more expensive to much less expensive than this one and this is by far my favorite. Yes, you do have to do a couple applications for a darker color, but it allows you to build color so you don't get super tan all at once. I love the smell. My husband even commented on how good I smelled and he had no idea I had just slathered self tanner all over me.

p.s. I should note that I bought this tanner as part of the "self tan starter kit" from clarins sold through sephora. If I had to do it over again, I would purchase only the self tanner and not spend the extra $15 or so for the "kit."