CLARINS Gelee Auto Bronzant Express - Self-Tanning Instant Gel

Filtered by skin tone : Other
CLARINS Gelee Auto Bronzant Express - Self-Tanning Instant Gel
Gelee Auto Bronzant Express - Self-Tanning Instant Gel

3.8

The first time I tried it I hated it, but I decided to go ahead and finish the bottle since it was $35+tax CAD. It was summer while I had a natural tan and I found the tanner enhanced it, so I changed my mind.

It gives a subtle glow, and if you re-apply it again the next day it helps. The gel is white/clear might scare you but its ok, no streaking which is nice. The smell I could do without and it does seem to take a long time to dry, but I did re-purchase it. It does look very natural and very pretty. There is also another formulation called "MILK" which more like a thick white cream and this is great as well, I use the cream for my face and the gel for my body!

It just smells so offensive...I'm using it (at night only) and only because it cost so much and I hate to waste the money! Now my sheets and pj's have the smell...it has a real chemical smell. I can't believe how many reviewers gave 5 lippies! Doesn't anyone else think it stinks? The color it gives is okay, but many self tanners (that don't cost as much) do just as good a job.

on 2/13/2009 12:57:00 AM

Skin: Other, Other, Warm

UPDATE 3/16/09: I still have scabs from the rash this self tanner caused. I totally forgot about the rash until I saw the chicken skin, which has scarred my upper thighs and the outside of my legs by my knees. Scary huh? Definitely won't be repurchasing, but who knew the rash took this long to go away?

UPDATE 02/28/09: OK, I've been breaking out in a itchy, burning rash on my thighs and backs of my knees. In some areas, the rash takes 1-2 days post-application to develop. It starts off looking like chicken skin and then gets progressively redder. This is officially going in the trash and I am definitely NOT repurchasing!

UPDATE 02/21/09: I've used this several times on my legs without any problems. But then I decided to apply this to my arms, since I'll be wearing a sleeveless dress to a ball next week. When I woke up today, I had a visible itchy rash on both of my arms, specifically in the nook of my arm (opposite my elbow). I am not sure why I'm having this reaction since it works fine on my legs and I don't have any skin conditions or sensitive skin. I guess it's a blessing in disguise because I won't shell out $20+ for another tube of this...

ORIGINAL REVIEW:

Well, great. I am now a fan of 20-something dollar self-tanner. I was a religious user of Jergens natural glow, but it was too "natural" for someone who has a formal event at the end of this month. It's the dead of winter and I am pasty. I don't need natural, I need TAN, like I've been vacationing in the tropics, not schlepping around my apartment in sweats.

Out of the tube, this stuff is sharp smelling and stung my nose. However, the scent dissipates. It's a translucent orangey colored gel that absorbs quickly without any greasy afterfeel. I usually apply this, put on my pajamas and go to bed. In the morning, I am about 2-3 shades darker. For my event, I'll probably start self-tanning the Thursday before in order to achieve my ideal shade of tan come Saturday night.

Like all self-tanners, there is the distinct self-tanner smell, but I have to say it's not as strong. I like this and would repurchase. continued >>

on 6/3/2008 7:12:00 AM

Mediocre product with a high price. I abandoned my trusty Sublime Bronze after admiring the results on my sister. For some reason, it just won't work for me. It smells bad, looks a bit Bart Simpson, broke me out immediately on my face (although the bottle says non-comedogenic), and streaked terribly. I haven't had this many embarassing streaks since the Wet n Wild days of grade 9 when I was clueless about application, even though I exfoliated, etc. Tinted gels (like Sublime Bronze) are much more reliable and streak-proof. The two points are for the hope that maybe part of it is an application issue and I can eventually make this expensive stuff work. UPDATE: No, couldn't make it work, despite different techniques, etc. To make matters worse, this faded in noticeable patches. When I used trusty, natural-looking Sublime Bronze gel again, I realized how terrible Clarins was for me. Never again!

on 10/30/2007 7:19:00 AM

Really really great product. I was a bit sceptical at first because I seem to remember having a bad run-in with a Clarins self tanner once, which left me livid because of the horrific price. But, after reading the reviews here I decided to go for it, and I was not disappointed. I honestly can't fault this product on anything except for the price - but such is the way of things I'm afraid. Lovely texture, dries beautifully, leaves my skin soft, great even colour. I'm really pale, so I'm very happy with the colour that develops after only one application.

Hmmm had to take away a star cos I found it does get a little patchy - though this could also be my fault for being a tard when it comes to application. I hate to say this, but I think Neutrogena's gradual tan thing is better :(

on 9/6/2007 5:15:00 AM

i have had so many bad self tanning experience's i had almost given up on finding a nice natural color product.i have dark hair but fair skin and usually end up looking orange and streaky my boyfriend always complains saying it would be better to be pale than streaky.i saw the reviews for this and went to get some as its one of the last few brands of self tanner i havent tried.this product is brilliant,first of all the smell,i can barely get a tanner smell when i apply,only after maybe a few hours a slight trance of smell but it is only slight.it is a clear thick gel and the color takes a while to develop but when it does it is beautiful,very realistic although i wouldnt imagine it would benefit someone who already has a color.the color does build but its a realistic color for fair skinned people.the thing i loved most about this product is it wears off evenly and i find i just revert back to my normal color,no patches or dirty spots.i love this product and will not try anything else now i have tried this.my boyfriend even complemented me and said he wouldnt have guessed it was fake color.fab product.

on 6/12/2007 10:22:00 AM

I got this because Sephora was out of St. Tropez (which I have yet to try), so I got this as so many people recommend it.

I don't really have strong feelings on it one way or the other. It did an OK job, but I don't really feel it's worth the price. I didn't get streaky at all (I made sure to rub in circular motions *very* thoroughly), though it did make my feet kinda orange on the tops. No problems with knees or elbows.

The smell isn't too horrible. It made me feel really sticky, and that feeling lasted a long time. It's not a bad product, it's just average in my opinion. I don't really feel like it's that much better than what you can buy at the drug store. Alas, I am still on the search for the perfect self-tanner.

on 5/28/2007 12:19:00 PM

Like the other Clarins Self Tanners, the Gelee gives a lovely, natural golden glow. I use this on my face and neck, where I must use oil free products to prevent breakouts. Application is very easy and it leaves my skin clear and beautifully bronzed.

on 3/24/2007 11:04:00 PM

I bought this after amazing reviews from MUA. I figured out that for me, this works best when I put a layer of lotion before I put the product on. It seems to dilute it enough to not streak much but still provide color. It works great on my upper body but seems to be streaky still on my legs...any tips? I know this is something I will continue to buy in the summer and a little streak looks a lot better than cancer and wrinkles!

on 5/15/2006 3:55:00 AM

I love the color this ST gives me.. I have very pale East Asian skin that tans into a golden brown.. I tried the lotion type last year and purchased the gel type this year and think the get type is better. It applies smoother, although I make sure to dilute it with a fragrance free body lotion. Well, I applied this to my legs and the color is almost exactly the same color as my arms(which are naturally tan due to driving/walking, etc)!! I love this and would buy again, however I'm not COMPLETELY satisfied with it because of the smell. Ugh. It will NOT go away even after multiple showers/baths, what-have-you until the color itself fades away. It's like.. burnt hair + old carpet smell (know what I mean? Like old carpet/old teddy bears.. lol). It bugs me but I love the natural, golden brownish color so much. I heard St.Tropez smells nice, but have yet to try it.. oh well.