CLARINS Gelee Auto Bronzant Express - Self-Tanning Instant Gel

CLARINS Gelee Auto Bronzant Express - Self-Tanning Instant Gel
Gelee Auto Bronzant Express - Self-Tanning Instant Gel

3.9

I was about to buy this product but I thought I'd check with makeup alley first! I need a self tanner for my face but my combination skin breaks out easily with a lot of them. The Olay one I'm about to throw out is particularly bad, the Lancome Flash Bronzer gel is ok but smells. Any recommondations? Thanks!

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Over rated....just use st tropez mousse...much better

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Yuck! This product smells so nasty. I was so gutted when I went to apply because I had spent so much money on it. I wore it once & someone actually commented on the strange smell & they weren't even standing that close.

on 11/20/2009 8:46:00 PM

After much consideration I decided to purchase this self tanner as the sales woman at sephora raved about it.

THIS IS THE WORST SELF TANNER I HAVE EVER USED! Its basically the same quality as any drugstore brand, with all the same resuls and for 3 x the price.
The color was the opposite of natural on me. it was bright orange, which is strange considering everyone else on here seemed to end up with a gorgeous brown tan. It smelled beyond nasty, like pee almost. and it took forever to dry and left a greasy film on my face. NEVER AGAIN!! sticking with bliss's a tan for all seasons.

on 4/12/2009 11:21:00 PM

UGh. this s h i t turned me orange. i hated it. it smelled like crap too. jergens is sooo much better

on 2/21/2009 10:57:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

As I write this I have had this self tanner on my body for almost 2 hours and its still tacky sticky and NOT dry yet! It also smells REALLY bad. This is more like a lotion/gel not a true gel.
I will update in the morning on the color.........so far not impressed.....I need something that dries in a few minutes not 2 hours! It is also more on the greasy side. I think I like a foam better because it dries faster.
UPDATE: Morning now and 1 coat later Im pretty orangey, Id like to be more of a peachy brown. It did not streak or cause irritation.
Will not repurchase, going to try st. tropez next........

on 2/18/2009 6:16:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

I honestly have to say I'm baffled as to how this product gets such a good rating !!

I'd been using St Tropez for the last few years - it's my HG self-tanner, extremly natural colour and very even, lasts ages, little smell, and I always get loads of compliment son it... but the dark colour got all over my sheets so I had to change my bedclothes right away the next morning. And not an option when my bf is over!

I figured I'd give another self-tanner a whirl and wanted a good one, so of course I come onto trusted MUA for reviews and ideas. This one seemed "the one"! And I've done so well with MUA before.

This time, unfortunately, it was not to be. Everything went wrong that could go wrong with a self-tanner.

Firstly, it's way too expensive for the amount you get (but I was willing to try anyway). 25 for a small tube is crazy.

On opening the tube, the smell nearly knocked me out - it was AWFUL. Luckily it faded a bit after 20 min, as others have said, but it was still there and not nice - and the next day I could smell off my skin even after showering. ew

It took AGES to dry. I was standing around naked in the cowboy stance for over 20 minutes and my skin STILL had that tacky "not dry yet!" feeling.

The colour - came up too dark on my face, streaky on my legs, patchy on my upper arms, and awful around my toes. And overall it was a distinctly orange-hue. Looked very fake.

Finally, the day after I put it on, my face broke out in an awful rash - tiny little weeping breakouts all over my forehead and chin, which dried up and scabbed. Needless to say, looked terrible.

Luckily, this product seems to have no staying power. It was gone without any exfoliation within 2 days.

I will NOT be re-purchasing, and will be warning my friends off this product, especially those with sensitive skin. Back to my St Tropez!!

on 2/13/2009 12:57:00 AM

Skin: Other, Other, Warm

UPDATE 3/16/09: I still have scabs from the rash this self tanner caused. I totally forgot about the rash until I saw the chicken skin, which has scarred my upper thighs and the outside of my legs by my knees. Scary huh? Definitely won't be repurchasing, but who knew the rash took this long to go away?

UPDATE 02/28/09: OK, I've been breaking out in a itchy, burning rash on my thighs and backs of my knees. In some areas, the rash takes 1-2 days post-application to develop. It starts off looking like chicken skin and then gets progressively redder. This is officially going in the trash and I am definitely NOT repurchasing!

UPDATE 02/21/09: I've used this several times on my legs without any problems. But then I decided to apply this to my arms, since I'll be wearing a sleeveless dress to a ball next week. When I woke up today, I had a visible itchy rash on both of my arms, specifically in the nook of my arm (opposite my elbow). I am not sure why I'm having this reaction since it works fine on my legs and I don't have any skin conditions or sensitive skin. I guess it's a blessing in disguise because I won't shell out $20+ for another tube of this...

ORIGINAL REVIEW:

Well, great. I am now a fan of 20-something dollar self-tanner. I was a religious user of Jergens natural glow, but it was too "natural" for someone who has a formal event at the end of this month. It's the dead of winter and I am pasty. I don't need natural, I need TAN, like I've been vacationing in the tropics, not schlepping around my apartment in sweats.

Out of the tube, this stuff is sharp smelling and stung my nose. However, the scent dissipates. It's a translucent orangey colored gel that absorbs quickly without any greasy afterfeel. I usually apply this, put on my pajamas and go to bed. In the morning, I am about 2-3 shades darker. For my event, I'll probably start self-tanning the Thursday before in order to achieve my ideal shade of tan come Saturday night.

Like all self-tanners, there is the distinct self-tanner smell, but I have to say it's not as strong. I like this and would repurchase. continued >>

on 6/19/2008 5:05:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I am not normally one to write bad things but this stuff unfortunately was horrible for me! I used it two times - two times and broke out over my entire body, neck, legs, arms, chest places I didn't know I could!! I am extremly disappointed as I loved the smell, consistency and Clarins other sunless products. This was bad for me - I have sensitive skin but come on I have tried several others, St. Tropez, Shiesedo, Netrogena and not once have they...back this goes...ish.

on 6/3/2008 7:12:00 AM

Mediocre product with a high price. I abandoned my trusty Sublime Bronze after admiring the results on my sister. For some reason, it just won't work for me. It smells bad, looks a bit Bart Simpson, broke me out immediately on my face (although the bottle says non-comedogenic), and streaked terribly. I haven't had this many embarassing streaks since the Wet n Wild days of grade 9 when I was clueless about application, even though I exfoliated, etc. Tinted gels (like Sublime Bronze) are much more reliable and streak-proof. The two points are for the hope that maybe part of it is an application issue and I can eventually make this expensive stuff work. UPDATE: No, couldn't make it work, despite different techniques, etc. To make matters worse, this faded in noticeable patches. When I used trusty, natural-looking Sublime Bronze gel again, I realized how terrible Clarins was for me. Never again!