Clarins Gelee Auto Bronzant Express - Self-Tanning Instant Gel

Clarins Gelee Auto Bronzant Express - Self-Tanning Instant Gel
Gelee Auto Bronzant Express - Self-Tanning Instant Gel

3.9

The only fake tan I've ever repurchased.

In fact, the ONLY fake tan that I've not found found at best a chore, at worst a trauma, to use. And I do keep trying 'em, cos if I'm honest, I just don't like the price of this one at all. It's not the dearest self-tan on the market - in fact, compared with some of the best selling brands, Clarins is VERY reasonable - but when other manufactors come up with similar sounding products at half the price, a girl will occasionally be tempted to stray.... but I've ALWAYS, ALWAYS regretted it.

So what makes Clarins' self-tan gel so amazing? Oh, let me count the ways....

1. The smell. Sweet and light, really pleasant and a bit "peach" like, if a little artificial. Totally unlike the "whoops, the cat must have gone to the toilet round here somewhere" screamingly nasty nasal assault that many other self-tanners I've tried give off.

2. Ease of application. This spreads on just like, well, a gel, nice and light and easy to control. This means it goes on fast and even, and you can apply just a little for a light subtle "toast" of colour, or put more on, if you want to go more noticably tan.

3. Speed of drying. This gel dries in around ten minutes, according to the packaging. Two different Clarins assistants have told me to ignore that - one said "give it about half an hour", the other said "oh, don't bother waiting at all, just stick your clothes straight back on sweetheart" - so go figure. However, there's one thing that's undeniable here - with this gel, unlike some other fake tans I've tried, you won't be doing the "naked zombie DON'T TOUCH ANYTHING!!!" walk for an hour.

4. Moisturing. Oh my god this stuff is LUSH!!!! It leaves my skin feeling smoother and sexier than any body lotion I've tried. It is simply wonderful; my legs are toasty light golden, the skin is left luxuriantly supple and touchably soft. Yum.

5. Colour. Now, I'm a fairly fair-skinned gal (NW 20 - 25) and my "personal style" does NOT extend to looking heavily bronzed AT ALL - I like *just* a bit of colour to brighten up my skin and make me look slimmer and healthier - I don't like a visible orange or brown tan at all, so Clarins suits me well - I just get a very subtle sun-kissed coppery glow from this gel. I should imagine that this means Gelle Auto Bronzant Express is not for everybody - in fact this would be an expensive mistake to purchase if you're wanting a really dramatic result, as you need to use quite a lot to get even the light "toasting" I like - but for me it's perfection in a tube.

So in short - this ain't for you if you're medium to dark skinned or want a dramatic result - but if you're my colour or paler, this is a great self-tan to try. continued >>

on 5/16/2004 12:08:00 PM

This is an awesome self tanner. I am a PPP very pale. I have never gotten tan in my life. I only burn so I pretty much avoid the sun and look like a ghost all summer long.

I tried this for the first time...exfoliating first then applying lotion to knees, ankles, elbows, and face... and then applied the self tanner. It turned out BEAUTIFULLY! I somehow missed a spot on my arm (I was trying to keep my kids out of trouble and trying to get my hubby some lunch though hehe)so I applied more to the spot and it turned darker than the rest of my arm!!! so I got some lemon juice and a rag and it lightened it to the PERFECT color and my whole arm matched. LEMON juice is the key for any self tanner ladies! (thanks instyle magazine for the heads up on lemon juice!!!!!!) Make sure you have some to fix any area u mess up.

My mom didn't believe me at all that this was a FAKE BOTTLE tan! It is totally brown not orange at all. I have pink undertones.

I will definitely purchase this again and again and again and again!!!! Well worth the money for me to look beautifully bronzed!!!! So far it has been on for 4 days now and is just starting to lighten up. I am going to redo it today but could easily get away with another day or two. :)

Edit: I forgot to mention I used disposable latex gloves to apply and then took them off when I was done and did my hands (which I also put tons of lotion on. It is easiest to do hands and feet if you put them on a damp towel then you dont get any on the bottoms. :)

on 2/18/2009 6:16:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

I honestly have to say I'm baffled as to how this product gets such a good rating !!

I'd been using St Tropez for the last few years - it's my HG self-tanner, extremly natural colour and very even, lasts ages, little smell, and I always get loads of compliment son it... but the dark colour got all over my sheets so I had to change my bedclothes right away the next morning. And not an option when my bf is over!

I figured I'd give another self-tanner a whirl and wanted a good one, so of course I come onto trusted MUA for reviews and ideas. This one seemed "the one"! And I've done so well with MUA before.

This time, unfortunately, it was not to be. Everything went wrong that could go wrong with a self-tanner.

Firstly, it's way too expensive for the amount you get (but I was willing to try anyway). Ä25 for a small tube is crazy.

On opening the tube, the smell nearly knocked me out - it was AWFUL. Luckily it faded a bit after 20 min, as others have said, but it was still there and not nice - and the next day I could smell off my skin even after showering. ew

It took AGES to dry. I was standing around naked in the cowboy stance for over 20 minutes and my skin STILL had that tacky "not dry yet!" feeling.

The colour - came up too dark on my face, streaky on my legs, patchy on my upper arms, and awful around my toes. And overall it was a distinctly orange-hue. Looked very fake.

Finally, the day after I put it on, my face broke out in an awful rash - tiny little weeping breakouts all over my forehead and chin, which dried up and scabbed. Needless to say, looked terrible.

Luckily, this product seems to have no staying power. It was gone without any exfoliation within 2 days.

I will NOT be re-purchasing, and will be warning my friends off this product, especially those with sensitive skin. Back to my St Tropez!!

on 4/28/2010 9:59:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

OK, this is the first and only self tanner iíve ever tried, so...
I have pasty white legs and no plans to sun bathe, but summerís coming, and i want to look less larval. I figured iíd test this before my legs might be visible when itís warmer. I exfoliated my legs in the shower before my first application, as recommended. I read how horrible self tanners smell, but this wasnít so terrible and the chemical scent went away fairly quickly. I applied it as suggested, with my hands, using circular motions, and i had no obvious streaking. It dried fairly quickly and didnít rub off on my clothes. It made my skin slightly less white. A week or so later, i applied a second coat without showering or exfoliating first. Still no streaking, and the skin on my legs is now a nice golden color. Not quite my natural tan color, but definitely not orange. Iím satisfied.

This is for either the vary light person or the tanned person trying to keep the tan. Awsome because it is non transferable. No phaba so no orangey look. Best when used in this order.. Efoliate 3 hours before aplication concentrating on knee, ankle and other trouble areas, use tanning gel, go to bed. In the morning follow with Clarins After sun moisturizer with self tanning action. Then reaply self tanner weekly and moisturizer every other day. This will give you the best look ever.

on 8/3/2015 11:45:00 AM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I tried this awhile back and really have mixed feelings about it. The color was nice, that I really liked. But the smell and application process is REALLY bad. As others have commented, it's very sticky and "wet" feeling. It honestly feels like it never dries! The smell isn't very good either. Way too chemically. Just an average self tanner in my IMHO.

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

So i've been using this product on and off for a few years and i kind of developed a pattern with it. (BTW I speak french so don't mind my spelling) Everytime i use it for the first time it turns out great, a beautiful golden color that looks very natural on me, better than the tantowels plus. It also lasts a full week without becoming gross. (you do have to be very carefull how you apply) The problem is that as soon as you layer it, it turns a yucky uneven orange color. Like i applied some on saturday and it looked so good, i received tons of compliment. I thought it had faded by tuesday (yesterday) so i applied more for an event that i have. This morning i woke up and its gross looking! It always happen to me and now i really got the lesson. So if you want a light tan but don't intend to layer, this is good for you. But if you want more, i would recommand buying something else. Oh and when you apply, exfoliate a lot before, put gloves and rub moisturizer on knees, feet, elbows and hand before AND after application. Good luck!

on 4/20/2011 9:03:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I've tried, St. Tropez, Fake Bake, SevinNyne, Too Faced Tanning in a tube, both Jergens,Tan Towels, Comodynes, Elarriia to name a few lol. This one is one the best because it doesn't leave streaks and it doesn't look darker in certain areas than other. I know its hard to fully massage into exfoliated skin and make sure the creme penetrates completely, but rest assured this product doesn't need all that extra "work". I put in on my regular unshowered skin. Many times I don't massage it as well as I should and I still get brilliant results. The price might be a little on the high side for some, but it beats dreading over worrying about all the other things you have to worry about to get optimal result for this self tanner. The smell is quite nice too. Many people worry about the smell. But I don't mind, Unfortunately it comes in 4 oz, which is pretty small, so use sparingly. During the winter months I use is on my upper body cause only one person gets to see my legs. I don't use it on my face because for me this is the only part of the body it didn't turn out too good on, The outcome, a repeat customer.

on 12/4/2010 6:31:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Only get this if you want a very soft glow. I've used this so many times and it only shows when I use it 3 days in a row and that turns me orange. Huge waste of $45.

on 7/25/2010 11:17:00 AM

I purchased this as a face self-tanner as the product description indicates that it is for both the body and face. After using this several times on my face, I came to the conclusion that, while this did give me a good amount of color, the shade I got was more pink (dare I say even orange-y) than bronze. I wasn't altogether unhappy with the effect because I figured that some color was better than none, and it evened out my skin tone. However, I decided to see what else was out there and found a much better product in Dior's self-tanner for the face.

The Dior was certainly more expensive per ounce, but the effects were worth it as it gave my skin a more bronzed look. Another reason I liked the Dior better than the Clarins was the consistency. The Clarins is a thick gel which reminds me more of Vaseline. No matter how thinly I applied it, I was left with a greasy residue on my face that stayed until morning when I washed it off. Just having a coating of product on my face was unsettling, but I also suspect that it was giving me blackheads on my cheeks. Also, the Clarins seemed so thick that it didn't spread well. This was a small problem on my face, but I can't imagine how one would spread it all over the body easily. The Dior, on the other hand, spreads evenly and absorbs quickly.