CLARINS Gelee Auto Bronzant Express - Self-Tanning Instant Gel

3.9

on 2/8/2016 1:13:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

Tried this gel for the first time this morning. Applied after my shower/exfoliation - I used a mitt. It went on smooth and it felt a bit sticky for a while. I stayed undressed for about 20 minutes to avoid blotchiness. By about an hour it felt like I had nothing on my skin, which was good. I haven't applied any to my face as I prefer to just use foundation to match my neck (I have had breakouts from tanners in the past when I applied them to my face), so I can't give a judgement on that aspect.

Pros
- Colour - very nice natural tone. I am white as snow normally and this has given me a great subtle healthy colour.
- Smell - There is a fake tanner smell with this product but I found it fades fast and it didn't bother me at all during my day.
- Coverage - So far hasn't streaked which is fantastic. It's fairly even all over and I'm impressed with how it looks on my neck, as the colour hasn't gotten into my lines.

Cons
- Price - for $50 it's hard to justify purchasing. I will buy it again but it's very expensive!

It's taken about 6 hours for the colour to develop and I'm really liking it. I think I will continue to build until I reach a colour level I'm happy with, so probably about two more applications worth.

on 8/3/2015 11:45:00 AM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I tried this awhile back and really have mixed feelings about it. The color was nice, that I really liked. But the smell and application process is REALLY bad. As others have commented, it's very sticky and "wet" feeling. It honestly feels like it never dries! The smell isn't very good either. Way too chemically. Just an average self tanner in my IMHO.

This is my all time favorite self tanner! The colour looks amazing on my skin and I get plenty of compliments when wearing this self tanner

on 12/4/2012 6:15:00 AM

This is the first time I'm commenting on Makeupalley. And I just had to make a review on this product because it is a HUGE favorite of mine.

I think the divided opinions on this tanner might be because it has different results on different hair/skin types. I am a light skinned natural blonde, and for me this tanner is just PERFECT. I feel like a bombshell everytime I use it! It just gives me this perfect natural, golden brown color as if I've been to the beach every day for a week. I think the perfect color comes out when I've used the cream for 2-3 days in a rode, but that is just my personal taste.

I do agree that the smell is a bit strange, but its definitely not a bad smell. My boyfriend even says I smell wonderfully after I put this cream on! and I do think the smell is much less intense the morning after. I usually put it on in the evening and shower it off in the morning, that way any possible smell is gone when you're off for work or school.

There are so many things I like about this product - it's so difficult to get a bad result! I never get streaks or uneven color, or spots on my hands for example. Also, the cream leaves my skin really really smooth. I have acne prone skin, and I don't get breakouts from using this on my face.

I've even got compliments from people about my "lovely color" when I've been using it. No one believes me when I say I use a self tanner!

So - my conclusion is that if you're a blonde with light skin - you might want to try this out!! It works wonders for me!

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

So i've been using this product on and off for a few years and i kind of developed a pattern with it. (BTW I speak french so don't mind my spelling) Everytime i use it for the first time it turns out great, a beautiful golden color that looks very natural on me, better than the tantowels plus. It also lasts a full week without becoming gross. (you do have to be very carefull how you apply) The problem is that as soon as you layer it, it turns a yucky uneven orange color. Like i applied some on saturday and it looked so good, i received tons of compliment. I thought it had faded by tuesday (yesterday) so i applied more for an event that i have. This morning i woke up and its gross looking! It always happen to me and now i really got the lesson. So if you want a light tan but don't intend to layer, this is good for you. But if you want more, i would recommand buying something else. Oh and when you apply, exfoliate a lot before, put gloves and rub moisturizer on knees, feet, elbows and hand before AND after application. Good luck!

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I love this! I have tried quite a few self-tanners, and this is by far the best one yet! All of the people who have left comments pertaining to an "awful" smell obviously haven't tried many self-tanners because this one actually has a nice scent compared to others. I have found that you do not have to use a whole lot of this stuff per application, just using a small amount goes far! I recommend this to anyone wanting to give themself a beautiful, sunkissed glow. : )

EDIT: I'm sorry. I had to lower my rating from a 5 to a 3. Over time, this seems to be showing up more orange than anything on my skin. I have switched to St. Tropez Bronzing Mousse.

on 11/2/2010 6:35:00 AM

On the more expensive side but worth it. I apply it to my arms and legs and the colour is very believable. I like the texture of this product and it is not messy. The only negatives are a slight fake tan smell and a highish price.

on 5/19/2010 2:43:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium

Excellent self-tanner, very beautiful tan - looks very natural - something between golden and bronze. Lasts longs. Just great!

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Yuck! This product smells so nasty. I was so gutted when I went to apply because I had spent so much money on it. I wore it once & someone actually commented on the strange smell & they weren't even standing that close.

Pros:
The smell is unlike other ST's
First application turns out great

Cons:
It's a gel.
Every application after the first doesn't look so good.
In natural lighting (outside) the color looks very uneven
Doesn't last very long
Feels like it never dries
Makes skin feel greasy

I really liked this product the first time I applied it but it went downhill after the first time. I exfoliated and moisturized before applying but still kept getting an uneven color.