MAC #129 SH Short Handled Powder/Blush Brush

MAC #129 SH Short Handled Powder/Blush Brush
#129 SH Short Handled Powder/Blush Brush

3.6

on 4/26/2017 12:06:00 AM

I like short handled brushes for blush with approximately this kind of density (Not too dense). I think short handled brushes give you more control and are more practical for storage. But, I barely use this brush ever because it sheds in the product, on my face and on the vanity. The complimentary blush brushes in some drug store compacts don't shed this much. It's just easier to skip over this brush and choose another one. Total waste. Two stars for the packaging because I do like shorter handles.

on 3/28/2016 10:03:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

I used to think this was such a great brush, small enough to bring in my purse, soft, good quality... Until I found that there are so many better brushes available out there. This is by no means soft. It is downright scratchy and what's more is it sheds. This is not worth the price and I would not recommend this brush to anyone. You get better quality brushes at Shoppers Drug Mart (Canada) in the Quo line for approximately the same price or less, and even better brushes in some of the higher end lines if you are willing to part with your money for tools. I personally think it is a wise investment. It makes a huge difference in application as well as being kind/gentle on your skin. I am less impressed by MAC all the time and with the exception of a few choice products do not feel as though the brand lives up to the hype. See my other reviews for focused discussion on customer service, lip pencils, etc.

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

I've had this brush for almost 8 years. It was my first MAC brush purchase (along with the 190 foundation brush and a stick foundation). It came in a very cute "limited edition" clear pouch that says "MAC fab!"

I had a set of brushes from Philosopy which got stolen, and I know the tools are almost as important as the products you use.

I use this mostly for blusher and powder. It's very fluffy and soft and it applies makeup very easily. It can hold a lot of product so I try to build up my blush and powder. It also feels smooth on my skin. Not itchy or pokey at all.

HOWEVER this brush sheds/breaks so easily! Almost every time I use it I have to pick off bits of broken hair off my skin. I don't use it often, and I just washed it again to see if that will help with the shedding.

In spite of the shedding, I love this brush. It's easy to carry in my purse should I need to apply powder during the day. I love the quality of it and it will continue to be in my bag for many years to come.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I purchased the short handle at my local CCO and was supper excited to get this at a discounted price. I will agree this brush did shed for maybe the first 2 months with regular spot cleaning and deep cleanings. I have owned it for a little over a year and have not had any issues with shedding since then. I prefer the size of the brush since I personally like a more blown out look with my blush. I've only ever used this brush for blush and when I travel I do use it to apply bronzer to save space. When I first started using it the bristles were scratchy and I thought I wasted my money, but as with the shedding that faded away the more I deep cleaned the brush. So if I was basing my review on the fist couple months I would of probably gave 1 star, but a year later this brush is amazing IMO

on 10/12/2013 9:18:00 PM

Spent $35 before tax on this at the San Francisco PRO shop upon recommendation from the MA. I am returning it tomorrow for two reasons: 1) like all the comments note it sheds quite a bit and this is frustrating while applying makeup and 2) what bothers me more is that the bristles are too long imo for proper blush placement (seems more like an all-over powder-placement brush or a "bronzer" brush, not blush brush). I really don't like this and am happy to have uncovered that this won't work for me within the 30-day MAC return window (and I try not to return a lot of things)

on 5/25/2013 3:19:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

Shed alert. It's super annoying. You have to pick it off your face almost each time you use it. I wasn't aware of this at first so would walk around with big fibres on my face. Super annoying. This was my first expensive brush. A MAC salesperson recommended it as a bronzing brush, and I picked short handle so I could take it with me in my cosmetic case. The bristles are on the soft side but definitely not the softest of brushes by MAC, so when applying powders I find it's a slightly heavy application. For $79 it's been a disappointment. Wish I hadn't bought it. Meh.

I went to buy the regular 129 brush but they only had the short handled and know I am glad i have this one because it comes with a little case so you can carry it around safely. Overall it is a great brush- i used it primarily for blush and sometimes for bronzer. I have deep cleaned 4 times now and it didn't shed. It is a bit pricey but if you take care of it, it will last you a lot of time!!!

on 3/25/2013 7:12:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

Wow does this thing shed. I don't understand how it still has bristles left. I use this to powder my face to set my foundation and I have used it for blush. It is a good brush but I can't stand all the shedding and therefore would not repurchase, the $3 ELF ones are a better alternative

on 12/25/2012 7:48:00 PM

The brush sheds like crazy, and doesn't distribute the product so well. Also, the short handle is not as comfortable as one might think. Out of all of MAC brushes in my possession, this one is the worst.

on 9/13/2012 6:06:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I have this brush since forever (more than 10 years). It has been shedding a lot. I've never seen a brush shedding this much. The strange thing is it looks as if new. If it was a cheap brush, I would have thrown to trash long time ago. It is soft and do its job on the other hand. Go figure!

Popular Makeup Brushes