Bumble and bumble Surf Spray

Filtered by skin type : Acne-prone
Bumble and bumble Surf Spray

3.2

Water, Hydrofluorocarbon 152a, Alcohol Denat., Vp/Va Copolymer, Butylene Glycol, Acrylates Copolymer, Sea Salt\Maris Sal\Sel Marin, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Water, Hypnea Musciformis (Algae) Extract, Chondrus Crispus (Carrageenan), Gellidiela Acerosa (Algae) Extract, Ascophyllum Nodosum Extract, Mangifera Indica (Mango) Seed Oil, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Aleurites Moluccana (Kukui) Seed Oil, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Hydrolyzed Wheat Starch, Sorbitol, Ethylhexylglycerin, Dimethicone PEG-8 Meadowfoamate, Hydrated Silica, Butyl Methoxydibenzoylmethane, Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate, Ethylhexyl Salicylate, Magnesium Chloride, Potassium Chloride, Aminomethyl Propanol, Fragrance (Parfum), Hexyl Cinnamal, Linalool, Citronellol, Limonene, Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone, Disodium EDTA, Phenoxyethanol

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

If you have dry, curly and color treated hair stay away from this. It will leave your hair looking 10x dryer and more tangled not sexy beach hair at all.

HAVE FINE, THIN, VOLUME-CHALLENGED HAIR? SOMETIMES WORRIED THAT YOU'RE BALDING???? (or, if you're REALLY lucky, you have alopecia areata like me and are *actually* balding...)

This product is a game-changer for me! I simply work several pumps of this product through towel-dried hair from roots to ends, put my hair up in a big bun when it's 80-90% dry, sleep, and when I wake up in the morning....I have HAIR! And VOLUME! I then like to use a texturizing spray (Garnier, Umberto, and Oribe are ones I've tried and liked) both under my roots for extra volume and on the length for light hold.

This is seriously the best volumizer/thickener I've ever used, even though it's not marketed as one. I've found that as a fine-hair, oily-scalp gal, most volumizing and thickening products tend to weigh my hair down and sometimes even contribute to the oily scalp. Since salt is naturally drying, it works in favor of my hair type. I've even used it to blow dry my hair straight and it's worked beautifully.

This is the first sea salt spray that I've used, so I can't say that it outperforms others. It does feel a little ridiculous to pay $27 for little more than Epsom salt and water but honestly, if I can't find a comparable product, I'm happy to pony up the money. When your strands are jumping ship for autoimmune or other reasons, it seems a small amount to pay to regain self-esteem and for your "crown" to be restored to its former glory.

Hope this helped!

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I have mixed feelings about surf spray. While it does give my naturally wavy/curly hair that beach textured look, it dries my hair out like crazy (I have very thick, coarse hair). And while all salt sprays will do this obviously if used on a regular basis, this one drastically dries it out more than others I've used (john frieda, sedu, etc). I feel like this works a lot better on people with finer straight hair. Those with thicker naturally curly/wavy hair that is more prone to dryness should stay away from this one.

on 1/30/2014 3:58:00 AM

Hair: Other, Wavy, Coarse

When used correctly, surf sprays can add texture, body, and decrease frizz. This product does all that, and has excellent packaging, but is RIDICULOUSLY OVERPRICED for what it is.

i googled "diy surf spray" and found out that the main ingredient in this product is Magnesium Sulfate, Also known as Epsom Salt, which you can purchase a big carton of for just a few dollars (you only need 1or 2 tablespoons to mix up the same volume as the Bumble product. When i mixed it with water (you can add some gel and/or fragrant oil, if you wish) it produced almost the same result as the Bumble surf spray for about ten cents (albeit with no "beachy" smell, but that's not worth an extra $25.90...to me).

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

When I bought Surf Spray I was hoping it could magically give me the carelessly tousled beautifully unkempt waves the beauty industry has trained us to believe can actually result from a day at the beach. (But which absolutely does NOT happen on its own or without hours of styling unless you're blessed with exactly the right genes and lifestyle.)

I have fine but reasonably plentiful currently medium-length hair. My hair is naturally somewhat wavy, but tends to be easily weighed down, looking flat and without texture - it's easy to get it to go straight and flat, it's hard to get it to show off a nice wavy texture or to have body.

When I use Surf Spray on dry hair it's just ... not right? Maybe I haven't found the right technique yet, but I end up with dirty-ish feeling easily tangled hair which ... is still pretty limp. It gives a bit of texture, but not enough of an overall effect. I quickly gave up on it and didn't bother using it for a while.

However, recently I decided to try it on damp combed out hair before blow-drying, and I've had more joy. I spray a little all-over (maybe 5 spritzes max), run my fingers through it, then blow-dry until almost dry upside-down (for ease and for a bit more volume), then right-side up, part my hair and finish it off with fingers and a brush using the dryer on a low setting. The feel of the product in my hair is still similar - a little dirty (not greasy, but rather a 'dry' dirty feeling) and my hair is always more easily tangled with Surf Spray in it. However, what it does well is adding a bit of volume to my hair. The effect is more natural "this is just how my hair is" than styled, and it still doesn't give me those beachy waves ... however, the hair that I end up with is a reasonable 'base' for trying to go on and create that sort of style. (I'm just lazy.)

So basically in return for doing the trick of fairly effortlessly adding a bit of volume, I'm giving this product a 4-lipstick review. Which is probably technically unfair considering it's not exactly doing what it says on the bottle. However, I am hair-lazy so a product which fits into my routine simply and does give benefit is to be celebrated. I've indicated that I would not buy it again, simply because I'd be more inclined to try a new product, and see if I like the results more ... however if I couldn't find anything to beat Surf Spray, I would re-purchase.

Note: I'm also using a small dab of Rahua Finishing Treatment in my hair when damp, concentrating on the ends, so it's worth mentioning that my review is based around using Surf Spray in conjunction with another product. I think it would feel too drying/tangly in my hair on its own.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

I have thick wavy hair. After using B&B spray, all it did was passively create some waves while more so creating a lot of frizz. Rather stick to Garnier Fructis surf hair wax (does a much better job in my opinion).

on 2/26/2013 11:53:00 AM

As for the product itself, it's a passable salt spray, for those classic beachy waves. It works well enough-- not fabulous, but it does the job. The packaging is fine, the pricing a bit high, but it's about what one would expect for B&B as a brand. The smell isn't terrible, but there is something bugspray-ish about it. Especially when first applied, it's very piercing and astringent, but dies down to something less offensive (though not really appealing to me, it's trying too hard to smell "fresh," I think).

The problem for me is that something in this product, and it seems in most of the B&B line, triggers vicious allergies in me. Awhile after applying the spray, my face, scalp, and hairline begin to itch, and it doesn't go away until I've washed my hair VERY thoroughly and laundered any clothing it may have misted down on. Oh, well.

on 11/8/2012 3:54:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I LOVE this product - I feel like a lot of people don't understand how to use this product. For me, I get out of the shower - part my hair but don't brush it (if I brush it, my hair falls straighter and its harder to scrunch), blow-dry it a little until its damp, then spray some of this in and scrunch my hair.I blowdry it again while using one hand to scrunch it and i let it air-dry. I usually hop in the car and go to work at this point while it's still damp and I scrunch it some more as it dries. I get really nice beachy waves on my straight/layered hair. I usually use this product 3-4 days in a row and then realize I need to actually brush my hair. Use a good conditioner since this is drying. Unlike other reviewers, this doesn't actually damage my hair long-term. I've tried a couple other surf sprays from high-end and drugstore brands (Katwalk, Not Your Mother's, etc.) and it just doesn't work as well as Bumble and Bumble. Wish it smelled better and was less expensive, but I will still continue to buy.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

I bought this on a whim at my last hair cut. My stylist didn't suggest it, but I bought it anyway. I LOVED the way it made my hair look...at first. Tons of volume and soft, beautiful curls. I was warned not to use it more than once every other day and now I know why. This stuff WRECKS your hair. After less than a week of daily use, my hair (which I have been repairing for weeks due to a lot of heat damage in the past) was super dry and frizzy. Even my naturally oily scalp was dry and itchy. My hair simply could not handle the salt in this product. I gave it 2 stars because it did make my hair look amazing for a short time. This may be good for only occasionally if you don't mind spending $23 on something you hardly use. Btw, it shouldn't be underestimated how much of a matte finish this leaves. I think it looks nice but many people prefer a shinier look. Overall, a short-lived HG and hell on my hair.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

Brought this product after reading about it in a lot of magazines and hearing about it all the time - cost me 23euro so not exactly cheap! Have tried using it a few different ways (on damp hair and blowdried, dry hair, damp hair with buns to curl overnight), It does create a sort of "beach" feel to my hair so I guess it does what it says, but it didn't really add any volume no matter how much i worked with it and while it did add some texture it was nowhere near what i would have expected from the product. Will use this product to give my hair a bit of extra oomph when doing up-do's but won't be repurchasing, must be a cheaper option out there!
UPDATE: Just brough Garnier Surf Hair Putty for 2.50...amazing! try this first!