Bumble & Bumble Surf Spray

Bumble & Bumble Surf Spray

3.4

Water, Magnesium Sulfate, Macrocystis Pyrifera (Kelp) Extract, Ascophyllum Nodosum Extract, Isoceteth-20, Citric Acid, PPG-5-Ceteth-20, Phenoxyethanol, Potassium Sorbate, Citronellol, Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone, Hydroxyisohexyl 3-Cyclohexene Carboxaldehyde, Linalool, Limonene, Hexyl Cinnamal, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Fragrance

on 5/10/2016 11:12:00 PM

Made my hair look dry and crusty,

HAVE FINE, THIN, VOLUME-CHALLENGED HAIR? SOMETIMES WORRIED THAT YOU'RE BALDING???? (or, if you're REALLY lucky, you have alopecia areata like me and are *actually* balding...)

This product is a game-changer for me! I simply work several pumps of this product through towel-dried hair from roots to ends, put my hair up in a big bun when it's 80-90% dry, sleep, and when I wake up in the morning....I have HAIR! And VOLUME! I then like to use a texturizing spray (Garnier, Umberto, and Oribe are ones I've tried and liked) both under my roots for extra volume and on the length for light hold.

This is seriously the best volumizer/thickener I've ever used, even though it's not marketed as one. I've found that as a fine-hair, oily-scalp gal, most volumizing and thickening products tend to weigh my hair down and sometimes even contribute to the oily scalp. Since salt is naturally drying, it works in favor of my hair type. I've even used it to blow dry my hair straight and it's worked beautifully.

This is the first sea salt spray that I've used, so I can't say that it outperforms others. It does feel a little ridiculous to pay $27 for little more than Epsom salt and water but honestly, if I can't find a comparable product, I'm happy to pony up the money. When your strands are jumping ship for autoimmune or other reasons, it seems a small amount to pay to regain self-esteem and for your "crown" to be restored to its former glory.

Hope this helped!

To Read all 300 Reviews, Login or Join

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine

Surf Spray does what it advertises, but I need to use it on nearly dry or completely dry hair for my best results...as one reviewer pointed out, it's a little finicky to use, working best when I wear my hair with it's natural 2a-b waves. I also recommend using a moisturizing oil before applying. My method, wash hair, towel dry, apply hair oil (Kerastase Elixir Ultime), comb through and then spray on Surf Spray while twisting and scrunching hair while air drying.

Surf Spray doesn't work so well with any heat styling, from a blow dryer, a flat iron, hot rollers or curling iron (I use Orbie's Fiber Groom or Bed Head's Manipulator for a beachy, piecey look at that point).

While I quite like the Surf shampoo and conditioner and am interested in trying Surf Infusion, this is my second, and last bottle of Surf Spray...it's just too pricey and too drying, plus, I don't like the way it feels in my hair.

on 9/3/2015 10:45:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

I don't really wear my hair natural or wavy, just not my thing. I used up this travel size bottle I received from Sephora for when I was using a flat iron and needed to smooth out some waves, ironically. I used it up because I'm cheap like that. Will not purchase full size and if I have a surf spray need in the future, there are cheaper alternatives.

on 8/10/2015 2:16:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

This product is tricky and is not for everyone.

I have naturally curly hair and these kinds of products will work for my hair. If you have stick-straight hair...it might be very disappointing.

Salt water is very drying so I distribute a very small drop of Moroccan oil in my hair before spraying the Surf Spray in. Then I let it air dry outside and leave it alone. I know, it's so incredibly hard but this method provides the best results. This stuff doesn't react well with a hair dryer and ok with a curling iron.

So I have days where I love this product and then others where I don't. I probably won't repurchase.

on 6/14/2015 10:26:00 AM

Hair: Silver, Wavy, Fine

I absolutely cannot make this stuff work for me. I have naturally quite pale blonde hair that's going white in steaks and it's quite coarse and wavy, rather than nice curls. Anyway, I have tried using this stuff on damp hair, dry hair, soaking wet hair, hair that has been blow dried first, straightened first, curling tonged first - you name it, I've tried it and all to no avail. I end up with a crispy dry mess that makes my hair feel like it's going to snap in two. Honestly, if you have the same sort of hair as me (and I've got a lot of hair as well) then give this a miss and save your 24 for something else ... like a bottle of champagne - that's good when it's dry and crisp.

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

Maybe this would work properly if you knew how to use it or if you have the right hair, my friend with kind of wavy hair uses it and it looks great but I couldn't get it to work on my fine thin hair, it just looked awful. I still gave it four lippies though because I know it can be awesome for some people.

I really wanted to love this stuff as I love the look of textured hair. This makes my frizz prone hair dry, dull and brittle.I realised after not using this product that my natural texture is much better. I am on my third bottle and will not use this now as it has dried out my hair..

on 4/21/2015 5:14:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Dislike this product. Tried for so long to use this in various ways in order to make it work, but all it does is make my frizzy hair even frizzier and crunchy whenever I apply it to towel-dried hair, and allowing it to air dry. I have even tried using smoothing products in conjunction to target the frizziness issue with this product, but it never worked out.

Overall, after so much effort invested leading to repeated disappointing results with a product, you find yourself out of faith for it. I give up on you, B&B Surf Spray!

on 4/16/2015 9:06:00 PM

For the price, this is fairly mediocre. The smell is good, and I like the tab that can be put on the sprayer (so if you travel with this, it wouldn't spray). I have naturally wavy hair, and this helped add some wave to it but for the price and results - I wouldn't buy again.