Kiehl's Creme with Silk Groom

3.4

on 4/2/2016 2:18:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I tried Creme with Silk Groom nearly 20 years ago and hated it. If memory serves, I ended up throwing a good portion of it away in a fury because I hated it that much. Oh, how time changes things. I bought it again about six months ago because I was going through a massive Carolyn Bessette Kennedy kick and this is what she supposedly used. So my hair doesn't look or behave exactly like CBK's but with this, it's a tad closer.

First, I'm biracial and have naturally curly, extremely frizzy hair that I now blow dry and straighten (big ups to the Universe for finally giving someone the idea to create a flat iron that actually tames my insane hair!). My hair is basically pretty thin but there's LOTS of it. When I first used this nearly two decades ago - sheesh, I'm old! - I didn't straighten my hair and was on a never ending search for a product to control my hair. I pretty much washed it, slathered on whatever was the promising product du jour and let it air dry. Rarely did I wear my hair down because it's so curly and instantly becomes tangled. That's how I used Creme with Silk Groom the first time and it didn't work. At all. That's not a reflection of the product because, in my youthful zeal, I didn't follow the directions.

These days, I'm a bit more hair savvy and actually put some effort into my unfizzing my hair. I've tried dozen of serums and cremes to aid in the blow drying/straightening process. Some better than others but Creme really takes the cake here. First, you must use a SMALL amount. I know it's tempting to pile it on because it looks unassuming but really, a dab will do ya! After washing my hair, I part it down the middle and put about a dime size worth on both sides. Yup, that's it. I then let it get about 80% dry before blow drying. Depending on the weather, I may apply a wee bit more Creme after blow drying to help with flat ironing. The end result is nice, straight, frizz free hair that feels soft and light. I still have quite a few straightening products but I always reach for Creme with Silk Groom because it really does the best job.

As for downsides, there are a few. First, Creme doesn't smell on that great to me. Kind of icky like plastic but that smell doesn't cling to your hair. Second, like a lot of Kiehl's products, the plastic squeeze bottle is lousy. The label starts looking all weird and crinkled from squeezing the bottle and it's just sort of meh to look at. Apparently this now comes in a squeeze tube with print on the bottle which I presume is a whole lot better than the squeeze bottle. Third, Creme is somewhat pricey. A 6.8 oz tube is now $24. Not insane but still up there. Considering how little is needed, a larger tube should last at least a few months because very little is needed. In fact, if you pile this on you'll be disappointed.

I highly recommend Creme with Silk Groom for anyone who blow dries or flat irons their and wants a products that helps in that process while to also controlling frizz. Use it sparingly and the results will be fantastic!

Cat Marnell turned me onto this in her article on Carolyn Besette Kennedy, and it is pretty great. I'm a minimalist with hair stuff: Suave shampoo and conditioner is just fine for me and I don't even own a blow dryer, but this product is essential. It really smooths and silkifies so your work is done once you smear a little on damp hair. My one complaint is the packaging is sort of a pain: I wish it would dispense with a pump instead.

To Read all 278 Reviews, Login or Join

on 2/11/2014 4:59:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

Love this product for my hair, I mix it with the kiehls silk groom serum for extra gorg hair.

on 12/21/2013 3:36:00 PM

I've really been trying to take care of my hair this year and I've heard that silicones, while they make your hair immediately silky and soft by coating it, it also prevents the good stuff from getting in and creates buildup on your hair. I've been washing my hair with silicone free shampoo, and I've been using this in the place of a hair oil. I've enjoyed the switch since my hair now feels lighter, requires less washing and seems to resist tangling.

The product is thick and white, and smells herbally. I like to use this two ways: either on wet/damp hair or dry. It works well both ways. You should put a small amount (I suggest starting with a pea size amount to begin with) and then rubbing it between your hands until it becomes clear before applying it to your hair. Take the time to even distribute it into your hair. It protects your hair from blow drying, and it also works nicely when your hair is dry to smooth hair making it silky soft. If you put too much it will feel heavy and gross so start with little and put more as needed. Do not use it on your roots.

There are a lot of people who have an issue with the packaging because of the consistency of the product. Its very thick so its hard to squeeze out. My solution to this is to store it upside down. Pricewise, it goes for 25.50$CAD/18$USD for 125ml. It seems like a lot initially, but with the amount that you use, one bottle will last a few years.

Its not a typical hair product that we are familiar with, but its worth a try. Kiehls is usually very generous with their samples so I suggest you give it a try if you are thinking about it. Its a good alternative to traditional hair oils.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I know this is a very old product, and you can tell by using it. It reminds me of something men would have used in the 1950s, and stuff like Queen Helene Cholesterol or Carrot Oil Cream - hair creams you find with the relaxer kits.
As other have mentioned, the smell and texture is like glue, and it does not squeeze out of the bottle easily. I guess it can work for people who don't like the feel of silicone on their hair (this uses lanolin instead). Though this leaves a bit of a stiff feel behind - not hard, like gel - more of a 'film' on the hair. I found, most of the time, it just made my hair look and feel dirty.

I think if your hair is seriously fried and you do not like silicone and you use this very sparingly on wet hair, it might work. Won't repurchase.

on 12/4/2012 11:47:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

This stuff is the worst in terms of scent and consistency. It smells like school glue and it's so thick you can hardly get it out of the bottle. It didn't do anything special for my dry, kinky hair, but the smell was so bad I didn't try to experiment. I squeezed it down the toilet and returned the empty.

This is my HG... but I think this only really works with very short (which I have) hair because the consistency is sooooo thick without a lot of "slip". I use it on my hair after it's dry, and it adds a bit of moisture back while helping to counteract the Houston humidity. It also works well as a heat protectant if I'm flat-ironing my hair. The packaging sucks (hard to squeeze the stuff out), but it will last you FOREVER... making it a decent value.

on 1/31/2012 7:41:00 AM

If you are allergic to lanolin stay far, far away from this. It gave me huge welts along my neck / hairline. Well, at least it helped me learn about my lanolin allergy.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

yuck. i did not like this at all. even though i used a small amount (about the size of a pea) and only used it on my ends, it made my hair look greasy and stringy after a few hours. the cream is very thick and is probably suited to someone with coarser/curlier hair - to the point where it's hard to get out of the bottle it comes in. maybe it didn't work for me because my hair type was too fine/wispy, but the bottle does say that it's weightless and all that... you should try and get a sample before you buy it, i know it works for some people but it may not work for you (and i can see now that i'm not the only one with less-than-glowing reviews of this product). if you want something lighter and less greasy, try the heat protective straightening cream in the tube, that worked amazingly for me. i would not buy it again; the greasy formula and hard-to-use bottle is just not worth the money i spent on it.

I love this product. I see on here it has mixed reviews but i find it really good!! I use mine on dry hair. And its great for the days that i just want smooth hair rather than spiked on (i have a pixie cut) and it stops the frizz and fly aways and about 10 mins after its been on it makes my hair really really soft!! You definitely need to be careful for the amount you use. For my short thick hair i use about a pea sized amount and start mid way down smoothing it through with the left overs smoothed at the roots. I do agree that the bottle isnt the best desin i think either a pump bottle or tube will be better. But for the price it does last ages when you consider how tiny of an amount you need to use. I would definitely recommend this to others.