Tweezerman Blackhead/Blemish Extractor

Blackhead/Blemish Extractor

4.2

on 2/20/2017 10:11:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

Yes, it removes blackheads but they keep coming back!!! Also I don't see the difference in popping them and using this tool. Still damaging and scaring your skin.

on 12/15/2016 1:49:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

This does a good job at extracting blackheads and whiteheads - certainly a much better option than using your fingers. And let's be honest: despite being told not to pop/pick/mess around with our zits, a lot of us have trouble following that advice. So if you've got to do it, then the Tweezerman tool is the best way to go short of seeing a derm or a professional esthetician you can trust (these can be surprisingly difficult to find).

Usage:

My top tip is to use this tool in moderation - it's easy to go overboard with it and start poking at spots that aren't a problem (until you make them one). It's just plain satisfying to see gunk come out of your pores and the problem is knowing when to stop. So if you have even the slightest tendency to engage in OCD type/compulsive behaviour, I would strongly advise you to stay away from this. I guarantee that you'll only end up making your skin worse.

Other than that, don't apply too much force. If you see a dent in your skin, it's time to stop and put this away for another day. Identify the areas you're going to extract in advance and stick with those. Steam your face with a hot cloth first (or just do the whole job after you get out of the shower!)

If you see clear fluid or blood coming out of your skin, it's another sign that it's time to stop. The area may still be bumpy and you may feel as though you haven't got everything out but it takes a while for the inflammation to diminish. Wash the area carefully with a mild cleanser, patting it dry, and then proceed to wash the tool.

Making sense of the loops:

Here's a tip: I was told by my regular (and yes, trusted!) esthetician that if I absolutely have to use this extractor at home, I should only use the smaller looped end - not the larger loop. The big loop is for extracting really large pimples, usually on the back (think Dr Pimple Popper level zits). So yeah, not suitable for the face. This is for your annoying little blackheads and whiteheads, not huge honking pimples.

Cleaning & Sterilising

It goes without saying that hygiene is essential when you're using a tool like this, especially if pus and blood are involved. I clean mine with detergent and water very thoroughly after each use and then disinfect it with a cotton pad soaked in rubbing alcohol (70% isopropyl alcohol works for me). Keep it stored away afterwards out of sight (you don't want to idly reach for this every time you glimpse yourself in the bathroom mirror!). To be on the safe side, I also wash it again before each subsequent use.

To avoid leaving permanent or long lasting marks on your skin, I suggest wrapping the index finger of your hand that isn't holding the tool in a few pieces of kleenex. Make sure to wrap the tissue around the tip of your finger quite thickly to cover the edge of your nail. As you'll need to use your non-dominant hand to pull the area taut and press down on both sides of the comedone to extract the plug, you'll want to ensure that your nails aren't inadvertently digging into your skin. Wrapping your finger in tissue will protect your skin and minimise the chance of leaving behind welts. If you're extracting multiple spots, rotate the kleenex around your finger as you work - you can use your tissued finger to wipe away the gunk that comes out. Just make sure to rotate and change the tissue if necessary. You don't want to use dirty kleenex to wipe an oil clog away from an open wound - it's just inviting more bacteria into it.

Grade: B/B-
This is a helpful tool but if used improperly or too enthusiastically, it can do real damage to your skin. I wouldn't recommend it to everyone. A good litmus test is your ability to exercise discipline when tweezing your eyebrows. Do you have trouble not over plucking your brows? Do you find yourself getting really caught up in the process and over plucking? If so, do your skin a favour and skip this tool. Otherwise, try and use it as infrequently as possible.

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure

it does work nicely without scaring my face while extracting my comedone. But i can get similar result with using any comedone extractor which made by stainless steel and cheaper, because it is quite expensive, and if i lost this one, i will just buy another stainless extractor,

on 3/18/2016 7:54:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Neutral

edit" I dont use this anymore :S I cant apply enough pressure with it on smaller pimples. :S

I used this yesterday instead of my fingers and it works much better. The extraction is faster and more efficient. I really LOVE the sturdy pink handle of this, and that the tool ends are bent.

What I do is I use a 28 lancet (next time ill get 33 because someone on the internet suggested it.) to pierce whiteheads that are READY aka on the surface, after washing my face and maybe putting a warm compress and/or exfoliating the area with a salicylic acid pad.
Then I just place the wide loop over the pimple and softy press down in a short back and forth motion and then if necessary I push the rounded side in against the skin and "scrape" towards the pimple area. I then put benzoyl peroxide on the area and clean up.

Will update on how this works for other issues besides whiteheads.

on 9/8/2015 4:44:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Coarse

I had this and one of the ends slid out so I didn't keep it when I moved. Now I miss it and will probably get another one.

It can definitley mess up your face if your not careful, and leave horrible welts and lumps. So why do I want it again? Because I'm a skin picker, and I thought that without this tool, I wouldn't pick as much but it's complete BS. I still do, only now I only have my dirty hands. And as one reviewer said, you sometimes accidentally scrape the top layer of skin off and leave a scar when using fingernails. If you're a winner like me, you can probably manage that with this tool too. The key is to go gently and to only use it on the ones that really need it. I haven't learned that lesson yet in practice but that's a whole other issue. The other big difference with this tool versus your fingers other than hygine is that this can get out more of the root of the pimple so it's OUT completely. This also uses a downward pressure while fingers sqeeze in and traumatize more skin around the pimple. So I think it's extremely helpful if you have self control, or heck even if you don't.

One thing I kind of recommed with any kind of popping other than to be as sterile as possible, and to use warm water first, is don't try to pop when your skin is really dry or if you have something like benzoyl peroxide/tea tree on or after a drying mask. I kind of feel like the pores close tight and the skin traps them in and they look bumpier and are more traumatic to extract. Rather, I like to warm up the face and maybe use a liiiigghtt oil on my face so I have grip still but they can slide out a bit easier, and then I wash it off after. It also helps you to *not* extract those that aren't ready because you can't see them as well with some kind of moisture on your face as you can when you're super turbo dry. If you are oily that should suffice, but there's some lucky people out there like me who are dry and acne prone yay! And knoow when to stop. So important. -_-

Ugh my new one is square instead of round throughout the handle, I prefer round but I had a coupon so I got the one they had. :P

Now I should just take my own advice. But to the point, I need this again. And since writing this I bought yet another one (rounded handle). I need these in my bathroom always.

on 8/21/2015 12:26:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

Please be very careful with this. It did remove my blackheads but now I have scars on my face and nose that don't seem to be going away. I regret ever using this, I would rather have black heads then ugly scars/marks on my face. Use this very careful otherwise you'll be left with scars as well. I'm just hoping they go away soon.

on 5/22/2015 10:31:00 AM

This is the worst for skin u have to press hard, Then leaves a very red deep pressure point, maybe if you had A bulging zit for a year or two u let it get that way you'd easily extract something but safe as a .regular daily tool you'll end up looking insane its pure shit

Ok I have had some pretty sad adult acne now for over 3 years I sadly didn't find this until this year. This will save your skin from scars if you use it correctly because if you are just pinching blemishes with your fingers your nails will take off a small layer of skin whereas this just helps extract it with little to none damage to the skin - use it on blemishes that are close to the surface ( anything deep you may just push further into your pore) ... This is a definite necessity for those with moderate acne

on 2/22/2014 12:45:00 AM

I have had not so great acne (read: I have to wear a full face of makeup each day to not look red with acne scars and active blemishes) for going on 16 years now, even into adulthood. I cannot believe that all the dermatologists I went to and friends that I consulted about my acne through the years never mentioned this kind of tool! I would have learned from a facialist I guess, but I spent my whole life being afraid that spa products and hands all over my face would break me out so I avoided them. I feel totally betrayed and like I missed out on many years of better controlling my breakouts with an extractor!

Anyway, the point is that this thing works for clearing open comedones. And I am now addicted to it.

For the first week, I went to town on my face every day. That was a rewarding experience in that I got so much gunk out of my skin that had been festering there for so many years. I had tried tons of salicylic acid washes and the like, but there was a lot left to extract. Pore after pore yielded stringy sebum filaments and once-stubborn blackheads.

After that, I went into maintenance mode. I use the Tweezerman extractor probably 3 times per week after a hot, steamy shower. I use a washcloth with hot water on it to additionally warm up my face after the shower. Then I gently press with the extractor on heavy pore areas like the nose and on problem pore areas in other parts of my T-zone. For the open pores, this thing is very effective and gets them nice and clean. But for the closed comedones or small little under skin bumps, I only have occasional success. You're not supposed to push too hard on those, but occasionally I find one that has been exfoliated enough that it responds to gentle pressure. Whenever I get those, I know that I am preventing a future blemish which is such a happy feeling.

Overall, I'm now using this to control apparent pore size on my nose and to do preventative care on my pores to fight breakouts. It's not a miracle worker and I'm not 100% clear, but my face is visibly cleaner. All of those sebum plugs are now kept much more under control and some of the more irregularly sized pores are closing up and blending in again. It's a great discovery. And I'm only sorry it took me so long to figure this out.

The price could be cheaper, definitely. I lucked out and bought a few generic (but absolutely high quality, stainless steel replicas) of the Tweezerman product while in China. They work like a charm in exactly the same way as the original and only cost me $2 each.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

This is terrible for your skin!! Ugh. I watched a youtube video showing how to use this to make sure that I wouldn't severely damage my skin and after gently, GENTLY, applying a heated washcloth to my skin and then GENTLY applying pressure with the extractor, BARELY anything came out and my skin looked red and SO IRRITATED 24 hours after using it! For $11 at Rite-Aid, this is going back!

Popular Misc Beauty Tools