Avon Ultra Luxury Eye Liner

Avon Ultra Luxury Eye Liner

3.5

Price: $

Price: $

ETHYLHEXYL ISOSTEARATE POLYMETHYL METHACRYLATE NEOPENTYL GLYCOL DIETHYLHEXANOATE COPERNICIA CERIFERA (CARNAUBA) WAX/CIRE DE CARNAUBA EUPHORBIA CERIFERA (CANDELILLA) WAX/CIRE DE CANDELILLA BORON NITRIDE CERESIN PARAFFIN SILICA TOCOPHEROL ASCORBYL PALMITATE MAY CONTAIN: IRON OXIDES TITANIUM DIOXIDE MICA MANGANESE VIOLET ULTRAMARINES CARMINE CHROMIUM OXIDE GREENS BLACK 2 FERRIC FERROCYANIDE YELLOW 5 LAKE ALUMINUM POWDER BISMUTH OXYCHLORIDE BLUE 1 LAKE CHROMIUM HYDROXIDE GREEN RED 40 LAKE ZINC OXIDE

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

I own this in dark brown. It is much softer than the brow pencil (fairly standard) but it is so soft and never sets so it gets everywhere. It is very similar in shade and even works in tone as a brow pencil on my black brows (but is too soft and messy to work with there). The color IS very nice, it's a dark, rich brown without red undertones.

This pencil disappears/smudges to the point of not recognizing it on my bottom lids within two hours. It does stay on my top lid longer, but just fades/smears out as the day goes on, losing any crispness to the line.

Because the formula IS very soft, the tip wears down quickly, and as other reviewers have noted - the wood sucks to be sharpened. It sort of chips/splinters away instead of leaving smoothly.

The contents are standard size - 1.14 g, but in a short pencil format, so it will get stubby and hard to use a lot faster than a longer pencil like NYC or WnW (both of which have better wood).

I'm going to try Avon Glimmersticks once this one is finished (get the wood out of the picture at least!) but I won't rebuy in the luxury eyeliner line.

on 10/24/2014 11:24:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

What a shame. I used to have this eyeliner years ago and recently repurchased it, in the black shade. I don't know if the quality has gone down since years ago or if I simply don't remember having any issues with it, but this pencil is made with very poor quality wood that sharpens horribly! The pencil is creamy and nicely pigmented, but whenever I need to sharpen it, I end up wasting a lot of the pencil because I can't get a good point, and I have a pretty good eye/lip pencil sharpener! Also, it smudges a lot under my eyes and doesn't stay put on my waterline, but that's with any other pencil eyeliner I've ever used.

I would not repurchase, because even if it did stay on very well, the waste involved during sharpening makes it not worth it.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

Eyes: Violet

My friend who worked for several years as a waitress swears by these, so I thought I'd give them a try. (How she gets them to last for 10+ hours, I have no idea.) They were on a crazy sale and I just couldn't pass them up. I have every current color except Khaki, which I think they were out of. First, Charcoal and Eggplant are shimmer shades, and are pretty much unusable for the water line. (They just don't transfer, I tried.) I do, however, often use both of them for lash lines. They're very similar to the Glimmersticks line in texture and aren't as powdery as the matte/satin shades. The other three colors I have (Black, Dark Brown, Midnight Blue) work fine on the water line. However, they last about 2 hours before I either have the color everywhere around my eyes, or I have no color at all. When I wear them, I make sure to bring my concealer palette and the appropriate pencil to fix any issues. I have several kohl pencils and these are pretty comparable to those. Black is just your basic, simple, cool-toned black color. Dark Brown is a warm, slightly red-toned earth. Midnight Blue is amazing, just lighter than navy, and really makes violet, blue, and grey eyes pop. Charcoal is a medium, silver-grey with some shimmer. Eggplant is a warm-toned purple, not quite plum, with slight shimmer. All except Charcoal and Eggplant are pretty smudgable, in my experience, which I like.

on 5/8/2012 6:53:00 PM

I have rebought this product over and over again as i absolutly love it. I find it is true to color, goes on smooth and will last the night with one reapply to water line. Ive tried drugstore brand liners but find the cheap ones suck and the higher priced ones work just as well as the Avon brand which i can usually purchase for a deal like 3 for $6 or something amazing like that. I have tried the black, brown, eggplant and night blue and will stick to buying this product for the long run.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

Avon Ultra Luxury Eyeliner is a product I've used in almost all of my tutorials. I've used at least 6 of them all the way through. I keep one in my purse, in the car, and one with my every time I do my makeup. Yet I haave a really hard time trying to review it. I've tried twice and failed. I think its because of how basic of a product it is, I feel like I'm stating the obvious. But I will try for a third and hopefully final time.
Avon's Ultra Luxury Eyeliner is a basic eyeliner pencil. They retail for $6 but are usually available with some sort of deal, by one get one, 2 for $4, .99 with a purchase of another item, etc. I'm not sure how much I paid for mine.
Packaging is a standard wood pencil with black coating and a plastic black cap. The cap is doesn't slit like some eyeliner caps do. I rarely have trouble with the wood splintering, unless the blades on my sharpener are dull.
The liner its self is a really good texture, soft and smooth without being gel-like or overly creamy. I'd describe it as feeling velvety.
It applies wonderfully to the waterline and lower lash line, but takes a little more work to apply to the upper lash line. It doesn't tug or pull, but might need two or three strokes to get a full, opaque line without skipping. I hardly ever apply pencil liner up there, so its not a problem I encounter with this pencil anyway.
Wear time on the lids is 8+ hours with minimal fading and smudging. On the waterline I get 2-4 hours of wear before needing to reapply. I counteract the short wear time by setting it with a matte black eyeshadow, after which I get about 6 hours of wear.
Pigmentation is good. It's very dark, but not the darkest black eyeliner I've used. NYX's Black Bean Jumbo Eyeshadow Pencil is darker. Swatches can be seen here.
I highly recommend this eyeliner, especially if you can get it at sale price. This is excellent for lining the waterline and tighlining. This has been my go-to black eyeliner for years and will continue to be for quite a while.

on 7/21/2011 7:41:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

These are the best pencils you can buy anywhere, better than all the big brands (I personally find Estee lauder and Mac pencils far lower quality than Avon Ultra Luxury pencils), these never drag, are well pigmented (Black: a true black, Dark Brown: and a beautiful dark-grey brown, Midnight blue: a most gorgeous smoky almost indigo-tinged navy black, and Charcoal: a smooth gunmetal grey - the only one I havent tried is the bronze). Fantastic price $3 NZ when on sale and always sharpen beautifully without any splinters or wasted product. Definitely a must buy.

This is really the only pencil eyeliner I like to use, it goes on smooth and the color really emphasizes my brown eyes. I love using neutral colors for my eye makeup and this is the product that does that just right. I love the dark brown and plum shades.
The only thing I can't stand about these is that they really don't last very long, I have pretty combination/oily skin, so my eyelids are pretty screwed up by the end of the day and you can barely tell I even have any eyeliner on. Even when I use my eyelid primer, it's still a fade by 5 o'clock.
But I always buy a few everytime I order, especially when they're on sale, they last a pretty long time. :)

on 11/17/2010 4:00:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

A long time ago (like 15 years) I used to sell Avon and used these pencils and loved them, but didn't think they lasted on my eyes long enough. I decided to try them again after doing a lot of internet researching about pencil and kohl eyeliners. Well, this eyeliner goes on very smoothly and has rich color. BUT it doesn't last if you want a very defined line; if you do, you probably need a liquid or mechanical-type liner. However, I decided to try using it and smudging it for a softer look. It worked very well and lasted for about seven hours before I noticed it fading, then I just reapplied it and smudged again (only because I'm going out tonight) for a deeper look.
I used the midnight blue; it's beautiful for my fair skin, blue eyes, dk blonde hair. I think I'll try the charcoal and dk brown, too. And for $1.99 on sale, it's a steal!

on 10/13/2010 5:55:00 PM

Absolutely love this product. Glides on smooth and flatters the eyes. Very easy to get up close to the lash line. I will be purchasing in other colors.

I have this in black and by the end of the day it smudges and I have racoon eyes. Not a cute look:( I got this in a swap so I'm glad I didn't waste money on this. Useless eyeliner IMO. There are way better ones out there that actually stay put.