Sebastian Cellophanes - Clear

4.3

Water/aqua, PEG-12 dimethicone, Benzyl alcohol, propylene glycol, hydroxypropyl starch phosphate, citric acid, phenoxyethanol, hydroxyethylcellulose, xanthan gum, hydrolysed wheat protein, hydrolysed soy protein, methylparaben, benzophenone-4, hydrolysed wheat starch, wheat amino acids, Ext.D&C violet no. 2 (CI 60730), potassium sorbate, ethylparaben, butylparaben, isobutylparaben, propylparaben

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This product provides tons of glossy shine and is easy to use. I bought this because there was a glowing review on the hair board and I have been in the market for a gloss for quite some time. I purchased it on Amazon and it arrived quickly and was factory sealed, so I know it's the real deal. There's no need for developer with this product. It's applied to shampooed, towel dried hair straight from the tube. The tube is a generous size and there's probably 5-6 applications for my should length hair. I used a liberal amount per the instructions and then covered my hair with a plastic cap and used a heat cap for 15-20 minutes. You can also use a hooded dryer or just a blow dryer. I then rinsed and shampooed again and conditioned as usual. I then applied my usual Bumble and Bumble Invisible Oil Primer to control frizz but no styling products because I wanted to check the shine and didn't want any product to interfere with that. I then let my hair air dry overnight. This morning the shine is unbelievable and my hair is very soft and smooth with no trace of the usual dryness. In addition to providing tons of shine, this product also conditions. It's like a gloss and a hydrating mask in one. I usually use Wella Color Touch Relights in /00, which is clear. CT is mixed with a 10 volume developer and lasts about 4 weeks. I do get a lot of shine with it but nothing like with this Cellophanes product. My hair positively glows. I have no idea how long it lasts but I guess that using sulfate free shampoo will help it last a lot longer. The tube I purchased on Amazon was <$20 and for about 5-6 applications, that's quite a good deal. The product itself is quite thick, like a gel and is easily applied throughout the hair. I probably used more than was necessary but because this was the first time and the instructions said "liberally apply" I wanted to make sure I got it right. I can't believe how glossy and conditioned my hair is this morning. Next time I might add some of one of the blond tinted formulas to the clear for some added oomph. I don't think this gloss would work as a toner but it's definitely great for refreshing existing color and for overall shine. My hair is super soft and smooth and it's incredibly shiny, which was the goal. I definitely recommend this product for any hair color. It's easy to apply and the results are superb. It's certainly superior to what I was using before. I now have a great new product in my arsenal. I'm so glad I pulled the trigger on this excellent gloss.

I wanted this for shine, since photos made it look like it "laminated" the hair and made it super-shiny.

This product added no shine to my hair, but afterwards it was really soft, and it was really great for keeping my hair from getting frizzy/poofy in the South Florida high humidity. But I'm not sure if this product did that or if coloring my hair a darker color (which tends to "fill-in" the hair and make it better) and/or the fabulous conditioner that comes with the color did that.

This was $17 on Amazon, and it's a big tube. But the process is so long/time-consuming, and you have to find a heat source while using it, so it's too much trouble.

All-in-all, I was disappointed and would just rather use John Frieda Clear Shine.

To Read all 20 Reviews, Login or Join

I love this, it really makes your hair perfect, soft and shiny.

I use alot of heat on my hair, so it really needs this. I used to get it at done at a salon, but I don't have as much time as I used to, so I did buy this online and now I do it myself at home. It saves driving and parking time, and costs less, of course.

If you have the time it's worth it! When I don't have the time to use this I use John Frieda Clear Shine luminous glaze in the shower, which works great, too, but if you have the time to wash your hair, then blow dry your hair in a plastic cap for 20 min., then wash your hair again, which is what it takes, then this does work the best. It's great stuff.

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I have only done this treatment in the salon once, but got the incredible results. None of the hair masks or deep treatments let me achieved the same shine and texture improvement. My dry, brittle, this hair are shine and full of life. I have already purchased 4 tubes to use at home, because I know I will keep using it forever. Will also go to the hair salon to repeat it once more before trying it myself.

Skin: Very Dry, Dark, Not Sure

I am Haitian with long dark hair. I've always taken care of my hair and like to try new things which brought me to henna. I did it a few times and although I love the benefits to my hair but it changed my texture. It made it more prone to tangling.
After being advised by my favorite hairstylist to try Sebastian cellophane instead of henna for the conditioning properties and color without the tangles, I FELL IN LOVE!!! My hair no longer tangles, it is very shinny, and manageable. I have bra strap hair length which I love to wear free and cellophane gave me my hair back. I like the Red Red and the dark brunette. I will never go back!!!

Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure

I am really not a fan, I purchased this to apply over my dyed brown hair... which has been getting darker and darker and darker...until i did a bleach shampoo (see robert craig haircolor advice) which helped lighten... but dried me out... SO i thought the cellophanes would help smooth things out. I applied a week after my most recent coloring (robert craig 1/2 dark ash 1/2 light ash) and i feel like it oxidized the color. i'm looking redder than i normally do... one week after a color. i'm also noticing that the roots that are grey... didn't take the color this time... and i'm wondering if maybe the cellophane might have contributed to that.

SO... I'm going to wait another three weeks to redo the roots. I don't want to do too many things at once...y'know?

I'm not going to do the cellophane next time so I can compare.

At this point, I'm not a fan.

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

I've been using this product for several years - Clear and Honey Blonde. I definitely liked it better before they reformulated it. I used to say, 'I can't live without this; it gives my hair the most beautiful shine and healthy smooth texture!!!". (5 Lipsticks). In fact I was in hyper panic mode during the time they had stopped producing the old formulation but had not yet distributed the new one.

Since the reformulation, I've noticed it doesnt give as much shine (still adds shine but not as much as before), and the color (honey blonde) doesnt seem to deposit as much color and protein as before. (4 Lipsticks). In fact, I had discovered that the colored ones were more effective than the clear because they seemed to fill in the "holes" of my porous hair.

Used to be: INCREDIBLE, HEALTHY SHINE AND SMOOTHNESS
Now: Still a useful product to add shine and smoothness to my hair and I havent found anything that rivals it.

Hair: Brown, Straight, Other

I love this product. I use it right after I get my hair cut and it makes it especially shiny, and seals the cuticle so that my hair stays healthy longer between cuts. I think they reformulated (or maybe just repackaged) it a couple years ago, but I have been using it since before that. It is fantastic stuff. Someone mentioned that it needs heat, but I never use heat with it and I still get compliments on how shiny my hair is afterward. I put on a shower cap when I use it, so maybe the heat from my head is enough. I would definitely recommend for long hair.

This is a great product. Unlike many shine products this one doesn't use silicones to create a shine. Instead, it's loaded with proteins. You do need to use heat to seal this into your hair.

This product leaves my hair soft and incredibly shiny. I've tried lots of conditioners, but I always go back to this one.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

The original and the best! I remember getting the professional Sebastian Cellophanes treatments in the salon 20+ years ago. I remember how shiny my hair was after one of those treatments. I recently rediscovered this (now called "Colourshines") and love that I can just buy a bottle and use it at home!

As others have mentioned, you have to apply it generously...then wrap your head tight as can be with saran wrap. I don't have the patience to stand and point the blowdryer at my head for 20 straight minutes, so I do it in 5 minute intervals (heat for two minutes, take a break, repeat) My head gets so hot inside the saran wrap that the heat stays intact during that time. If you have a bonnet dryer it would be much easier! (do they even make those anymore? LOL). Rinse out and shampoo...voila! Shiny glossy hair!

I have tried all those drugstore shine treatments and they were all worthless. Sebastian Cellophanes is still the gold standard. Each treatment lasts me about a month before I need it again. It is expensive (around US$25 for 8oz.) but you will get 6-8 uses out of it, depending on your hair length. That makes it a bargain overall.
continued >>