The Color Workshop

3.1

Price: $

Price: $

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I have two lip palettes from this brand: One is a small (slightly larger than a credit card) Lucite compact with twelve shades in small, square-shaped wells, the other a large, rather ugly silver-coloured compact with eighteen larger, round wells of colour, which sort of resemble a watercolour set. Both palettes cost $3. While you do get more product and more colour variety with the larger compact, I don't recommend it, as its size makes it unwieldy and the glosses themselves are, with a few exceptions, quite sheer and a bit drying. The smaller compact is a very good value for the money, though, as the glosses are fairly highly-pigmented, feel creamy and silky on the lips, and come in more "wearable" colours, at least in my opinion. (The larger compact features a very bright neon pink and several shades of orange, which I suspect would be pretty ugly if the colours actually showed up on one's lips.) I would definitely buy the smaller one again.

*edit* I recently also bought the small eyeshadow palette mentioned below and have been pretty unimpressed so far. The shadows are creamy and have a pretty shimmer, but are very lightly pigmented, so the shimmer is really all that shows up. Still, it was only $3. continued >>

These are tempting to buy for the price and color range. Although the quality is just horrible, horrible. I have 3 of these palettes and hardly use them because of the quality. The eyeshadows and blushes are very powdery. It doesn't have much pigmentation or staying power.

I hate to admit to even buying this as I have become a bit of a mu snob. But I bought it becasue I was suddenly tired of all of the muted, safe colors I own, and because I wanted to know if I have been a fool all this time, spending $17 for a single e/s when I could buy a huge whole kit for $15. I will give my verdict in a moment.
THE SET: The Color Workshop sells a variety of kits. The one I bought had a large compact that you could swap one of six different color sets into. From the outside the color choices were beautiful. Each set has more than five e/s, a few lip glosses, an evil little lip brush (where the bristles are all stuck together to make the brush look shaped), a microscopic foam applicator, a way too small blush brush, and a blush. There were also four seperate tubes of lip gloss, some medium-length makeup brushes, eye pencils, lip pencils and four bottles of nailpolish. Quite a haul.
QUESTION: So, have I been a fool buying all the pricy makeup?
ANSWER: You get what you pay for.
EYESHADOW: I don't think I knew what the word "chalky" meant until I tried some of theese eyshadows. Rubbing a finger across the top kicks up some large powdery... well, chalky, poorly pigmented product. When transferred to the skin very little of the color actually manages to stick and there is extra powder to brush off, simply wasted, becasue it is too coarse stay on. Even the color that stays is easily brushed away, except for brighter shades .BLUSH: The same problems with extra, non-stick-to-your-skin powdery residue are true for this as well, but there did seem to be more pigment in a couple of them. Still a massively inferior product. Lip Glosses (in tubes): Theese had a distubing texture in the tube, the product was not runny or smooth the way tube lip glosses tend to be, instead, they were more solid and it tended to sit, congealed together in a lump in the tube, not sticking to the tube itself at all. Some were chunkier than others. One of the four was extremely minty, about half of them were massively sticky, and the red turned fushia upon application. Still, it was the best of them, being far more moist than sticky. Howver, the consistency of the product in its tube disturbs me.
PENCILS: The only one I have tried is the black, and it was sorta okay. It wasn't a very dark or solid black, but I managed to get a line out of it. Not worth the frustration to use it again though (I use powder shadows as eyeliners anyway.) I did not try the lip liner
BRUSHES: I don't have expectations for brushes this inexpensive and those expectations were met. Poorly shaped and too smushy. As usual, the eyebrow brush would work.
NAIL POLISH: Colors are okay, but haven't gotten to try them much yet.
VERDICT: Overall, I don't think I got $15 worth of products that I will use out of this kit. I reasoned with myself that if I found two good eyeshadows in this that it wouldn't have been a total waste, but as I didn't find two eyeshadows I would wear it's pretty much a bust. I may possibly get a tiny bit of milage out of a nailpolish, or one of the lipglosses, but overall I'm pretty grossed out by the products. Even if I did find an eyeshadow of reasonable quality in a kit like this, I wouldn't know if it would also be a wearable color.
In some alternative demension, it is possible for someone to be happy with this, but not me. It was worth it just to learn that the money I spend on the better products is not a waste. continued >>

I have the blush kit, where it came with two blushes, and then a blush brush. I got it from walgreens. Both of the caps on my blush are broken, but that's okay, because they are very good and last the whole day on me. I love the blush brush it came with. I really enjoy this kit, it's great if your just starting make up, as I was when I first got this, the peach blush was a HG, because I felt it made my face look more matte.

I have two of these palettes and must say that I find them to be quite good, BUT:

The trick to making the eyeshadows work is to apply them wet. I find this way they last an 8 hour shift, show a beautiful pearlescent shimmer and are totally easy to blend... wet only, though. The blusher works the same way as a shadow (I don't wear cheek blush but the colours look neat with my hazel eyes). I found if applied dry the shadows and blushers don't stick at all.

I didn't even bother with the lipstuff. It's got loads of shadow powder stuck on it.

You can find these cheap after the holidays, I find. Worth $5.

(This is a review for the compact palette with a mirror, 20 e/s's, 4 blushes, and 6 glosses.)

I was actually pleasantly surprised by this. I received it as a gift, and I thought that all the shadows, blushes, and glosses wouldn't be pigmented. However, most of the shadows are very nicely pigmented (but a few others aren't). There is some shimmer in some of these shadows but after a while on the lid (I don't use primer) they look matte. My favorite colors are the silvers, blue-silver, orchid-purple, aqua blue, olive, peach, gold, beige-white, and pink-white (the last 2 I mentioned are nice for highlighting.) There are 6 glosses, but I have only tried 2: the berry and coral ones. They are actually more pigmented than I thought they would be and very pretty colors, at that. Granted, they're not OTT pigmented, but they are subtly pigmented, as glosses usually are. The staying power is only average, but that's to be expected from a gloss. There are 4 blushes, but only the pink and peach ones seem to have any pigment, and the pigment isn't as much as you'd like. Overall, this is a great palette for the price. It also comes with a dual-sided eye applicator as well as a blush brush and lip brush. The blush brush is so tiny, however, I think it would be better used as an e/s brush. (I think it was only 3 dollars, but I'm not sure, as I received this as a gift.)

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

Cheap and Messy!!! The eyeshadows don't have very much pigment and staying power. No glitter and it has a bad texture. The powder will not stay on my eyeshadow brush and gets all over the compact. horrible.

I think they also do animal testing, which is a NO NO NO!!!! Will Not Buy Again!!!!!!

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Warm

I got a HUMONGOUS palette for around $10, and some of the shadows are surprisingly well-pigmented, blendable, last long with primer, etc. BUT (and this is a big but) the ones that are not feel like chalk, have no staying power whatsoever, and little pigmentation. In my experience, it's the neutrals/glitters (silver, white, brown, tan, etc.) that are the best quality of the lot. Personally I wouldn't buy it again if only half of the shadow are usable.

Skin: Oily, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse

I didnt have the palletes my sis gave me the lipgloss wich were too dramatic for her(2 purples of diff shades and another i threw away) They have pretty colors but are a sticky! Leaves a gritty residue in my mouth and a candy like smell. Looks pretty but i rather not again!

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

I have the small lip gloss palette called the "lip phone" which is about the size of an iphone and has twenty super duper small squares of different colored glosses. It comes with two mini lip brushes (completely worthless- throw them away instantly). I advise you NOT to test as the bristles are hard as a rock and stab holes into the gloss. I bought it at CVS for $3.99.

I have to say, I am quite glad that I bought this, even though it looks absolutely ridiculous and is clearly very cheap makeup. Despite the obvious drawbacks, the darker, brighter colors are actually really pigmented and true to color. The light shimmery ones all look pretty much the same, but provide a subtle frosty sparkle. They smell like cheap makeup (you know, that cheap crayon smell, gross) but for $3.99, I'm glad I bought this. It gives me at least 13 new lip colors to experiment with. Of course I would rather have something a nicer, but this gives me the opportunity to see which colors are worth the investment. Too bad it doesn't come with more!

I've uploaded a photo of the swatches up above as well as a photo with one of the colors ("Dusk") on me. :)