L'Oreal Couleur Experte -hair dye / highlight

L'Oreal Couleur Experte -hair dye / highlight

2.8

on 11/7/2017 6:30:00 AM

I used a dark blonde colour - looked and felt great immediately afterwards but after just 2 weeks the colour had faded, the grey roots were easily visible and my hair looked very dull. Won't buy it again.

on 4/9/2017 10:49:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

I bought this in Biscotti. I have been a redhead, but with the gray hair> 50%, makes red colors that don't occur in nature or I'd you get a good color, it fades fast. I'd used Revlon highlight before and been happy with rhem, but decided to try this when it was on sale at the local CVS.
The color is a nice dark neutral blond. The base color solution was not drippy and didn't smell bad. It was not real perfumy either. L'Oreal used a lot of Jasmine and I dislike that scent.I still have reddish tints, but not brassy. I left the color on for 25 minutes because of the resistant grays. I also used it on my eyebrows; they are gray too. I know that's a no no, but I'll take the risk.
I used the finger tip applicator. It was hard for me to get really thin strands, but luckily it didn't matter. I left the solution on. It was advertised to be blue, but I don't think The blue was dark enough. The highlights look natural. They aren't too pale so they blend well. I have short hair so I went heavy on the highlights, bangs, crown, sides, and underneath. I think for longer hair, one might want to buy 2 kits. After the highlights. I used a deep conditioning treatment.
In my town a full set of highlights and lowlights (foils) runs about $75.00. This kit was $13.00 at CVS, and the conditioner was a from a Target Beauty Box. I love those Target boxes.I
I wasn't too happy with the fingertip applicator, next time I might try the spoolie brush, but it was easier than pulling hair through the cap. The results look more natural.
I like the fact we got 2 sets of gloves and the gloves were a little more substantial than the peel off gloves the one finds in other kits. The best gloves are from John Frieda.
This is a nice dark blond with natural beigy tones. I'll keep buying.

well, I really liked this. I can only comment on the highlight product. I color my own hair a level 6 warm, medium brown, this color was looking a little bland. I needed something, cancelled my appointment at salon for lowlights. purchased warm brown 6.3 for using highlight product only. Having had salon ruin my hair at about 100.00 a pop, figured what did i have to lose. never understood why they have to leave bleach on for forty min, only to tone down. I love the reddish, coppery colored highlights from this kit, only left on 15 min they are
perfect. was very careful when i applied. make sure you do not get to close to scalp, thats when blotchiness occurs. and less is more...only applied about 9 highlights...

on 5/29/2013 10:44:00 AM

My rating is actually a 3.5. This 2 step process is easy and the color I chose (Truffle) turned out very pretty w/ the highlights being very subtle on me which is OK. I didn't use the included highlighting applicator as I don't like it - I always use a mascara type applicator that I saved from another kit and just paint on the highlights. The base color turned out very pretty, shiny. Neither process dried out my hair. All in all, I prefer foaming color now (less mess) so I probably won't re-purchase this one again.

on 3/23/2013 3:30:00 PM

I bought the Cherry Chocolate Mousse dye hoping to lighten my naturally black hair and add a bit of color. The entire process took nearly 2 hours since I left the dye on longer than indicated (this was not my first time dying my hair at home so I knew that I needed extra time). And when it was done, my hair was dark burgundy and the highlights were a contrasting dark honey color. Sadly, the red tone began fading immediately. After two weeks, they blended in more naturally (which is fine, but not really the look I was going for). I used only 1 box for my shoulder-length hair. Definitely worth it for me!

I've used this box for about 7 years now and it's still a favorite. I typically go for the iced meringue (ash,light/white blonde, no yellow) but sometimes I will use the creme brulee(more of a brighter/yellow blonde). I always receive compliments on my hair color. Every single time I go to a salon I am complimented on my amazing color. It's very natural. Most people don't even know I color my hair. I do the base color one day and then I wait until the next day before I do the highlights. The color looks beautiful for a couple of weeks but I typically have to do it again every 6 weeks. When doing the highlights, I suggest just putting on the gloves and using your fingers. Use small/skinny strands of hair to highlight, never large chunks. Pick random strands and go underneath and in the back as well, this will create a more natural look.

A lot of salons are now using this technique to color hair. I've pretty much perfected blonde after 10 years of doing it myself. From my early days of being a bleach platinum blonde to my now natural blonde, I'm really happy with the product. I can't speak for the brown shades b/c that's a whole different ballgame. But learning to color your hair, and finding the right shade for yourself, is an art.

Lately I've had trouble finding it in my area, and as someone said before, the blonde colors are typically the most difficult to find in stores. Ulta usually has the blonde shades though. I moved and may have to start ordering online b/c none of the drugstores around me carry it. Bummer.

on 7/6/2012 9:05:00 PM

I have pretty dark hair, very fine with no body, with a few grays coming in--maybe 5-10%. I have used this hair color twice. The first time I used it, I used the medium golden brown. I thought the base was way too dark for my age (51), so if you are expecting a medium golden brown, you will actually have closer to a darker nut shade. I waited a day to apply the highlights. I used the brush in the kit to apply just a few highlights. I was afraid I would get the dreaded orange, but no, the highlights were golden. I only left the color for the highlights on for 15 minutes. The color held pretty well for about 2.5 months until I went swimming a few times and the grays started growing out.

Today I recolored my hair using 6.3, the light golden brown. The base color was more what I was aiming for, medium golden. I guess you may need to go a shade up. This evening, my husband helped me with the highlights. I took a tip from some of the younger ladies who posted that they used a highlighting cap. I bought one at Sally's, with a brush, pick, and cape for about $5. My husband pulled my hair through 75% of the holes. We then painted the highlighting color all over the hair with the paintbrush paddle I rec'd with the cap. I left the color on for 15 minutes, stepped in the shower to wash out the color, then took the cap off and conditioned. Don't take it off before you rinse or you will risk some splotchy hair color. To my delight, the highlights are very subtle and look golden. No orange, no big streaks, and very natural. I really think the secret for me is using the cap to highlight and going up a shade lighter. Good luck!

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I took one of L'Oreal's hair color quizzes and they suggested this to me. After a while of deliberating, I finally bought this in Truffle 5.1.I though this was pretty good as it did not itch my scalp as much as Fria and I only had to keep it on for fifteen minutes. And for some reason, my hair is very soft after using it. However, I didn't like the highlights much....I was looking to go to gold of soft brown highlights but it turned streaks of my hair red again (my hair was previously red). Maybe I'll try a different color next time?

on 4/26/2012 12:01:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

Since summer is coming up I decided to lighten my hair. A few weeks ago, I tried the light brown color first, which is supposed to be close to my natural hair color, it out wayyy too dark. The color was pretty but it looked more like a medium or almost dark brown. So, I bought another one today (7.1, Vanilla Icing dark ash blonde) and just finished the base color, it's just as dark as the previous one I used. Now I'm scared to try the highlights because all of the reviewers who used this color said their highlights turned out orange.

So basically, the base dyes turn out way too dark, but would be pretty shades for the fall or winter.

on 3/13/2012 10:36:00 AM

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

Way back in 2003, as a 19-year-old college sophomore, I decided to ditch my natural blonde in favor of being a redhead. I had virgin hair and after scanning the shelves of hair dye, Couleur Experte in 6.3 seemed to be the best choice.

It's now 9 years later and I've stuck to the same brand. A lot can be said for that. I've switched it up, now favoring 6.4, but the excellent results are still present. CE takes a bit longer to apply than your average drugstore brand hair dye as the highlights aren't built-in but I don't mind. The color mixes well and applies evenly, one bottle is enough for my 4" past shoulder length hair, and the end result is a rich, beautiful, red.