Vincent Longo Lip Stain

Vincent Longo Lip Stain

4.5

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Coarse

I am a sucker for a multi tasking product. Anything that can MacGyver while making pretty WILL compel me to bring out my wallet. And this my friends, is the ultimate. What I love about the concept of stains is that their purpose is to seamlessly just revive the complexion. Nothing more, nothing less. They are supposed to be liquids, not thick, not gloppy, not gels. Their point is to "adapt" while all the same making an impact. Many brands out there have made attempts at this but fail dramatically, beginning with the limited color options, seldom streaming from the bright, fuschia based raspberry tones. Most have odd, inefficient applicators and useless formulas, like the Body Shop. Others get three colors in, like TheBalm, but then it's drying formula leaves a lot to be desired. And don't get me started on the Korean brands, who make completely impractical packaging, too sheer and watery formulas, and WAY too cool/cold colors. Horrid to say the least.

I've known of Vincent Longo's for years but was not in the situation to afford them. I gave in and bought 4 of the currently made shades, and they are by far, the best things ever made. What makes them great? Well they actually show up on the skin for one, literally in one swipe of the wand. They come in a dark, slick lipgloss style tube which protects the product from light. It's applied by a doe style end. They work great under lipstick, fantastic under lipgloss, and add dimension to blush. They just bathe your skin in a burst of juicy, elegant watercolor. The color range is exquisite: 1. My Sunshine: A juicy peachy tomato red that basically looks like my own post workout flush. My favorite of the bunch, because I just look healthier, happier, effortlessly better. One swipe on each cheek, two on the lips and I look like I got a facial. Build up on it later in the day and I got a perfect date night look. Best for warm toned women, who will find it easy piecy to use since it's a color already in their "face". You'll know why later. 2. Sweet Appolonia: A dark, vampy shade of aubergine. My next favorite. This is how you do sexy, easy. This packs the biggest punch of color. You can take this to any level, and you will look incredible. Despite being the darkest, I find it pretty straight forward to use. It dries lovely, like the skin on a grape. For fall, it's on the top of my list. 3. Baby Boo: A juicy lychee pink shade that is perfectly neutral. No red, no blue just juicy, bubbly goodness. A wonderful shade for Spring, maybe Winter, but really, the best way to describe it is just happy and youthful. Just two coats on the lips is all it takes for your lips to look as ripe and succulent as a fruit. Looks amaze balls with green eyeliner. Love it. All color seasons, save for Soft Autumn and True Autumn, would carry it with ease. 4. Liquid Kiss: A cool, Snow White red, a liquid version of MAC Frankly Scarlet or MAC Mulling Spices. It is gorgeous, glamorous, radiant, and if you are not cool toned or lean cool, it will make you look like a cast member of Twilight. Any of the winters will look stupendous in it. This is red. Pure, true, and nothing else. This actually helped me decipher whether I was a Winter or an Autumn. I can carry it, but My Sunshine is eons better me. Liquid Kiss demands perfect, translucent, even skin. If you have the slightest bit of freckle this will overpower them. The drama is strong in this shade I feel. Despite being the "simplest" shade of the bunch, I feel it is the most complex since it's one of those shades that either you rock or you don't. No middle ground. I think these are a great value for the money and are grossly underrated. If I were to be deserted on an island with very few things for personal upkeep, you better bet this will be one of those items. I love them all the more for travel, I've surprised plenty of people with what you can do with this, and just a touch of lipgloss. A beauty juggernaut in my opinion.

on 2/24/2017 7:18:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

HG lip stain! I've tried SO many kinds of lip stain and Vincent Longo is the best by far. Most lip stains are too bright and garish for PPP complexions. VL makes beautifully wearable colours. Compared to CoverGirl's (discontinued) Outlast lipstain markers, VL stain is longer-lasting, less drying, and easier to apply. It's is a true stain (like berry juice, not lipstick) with buildable intensity. I get 6+hrs of comfortable wear with lip balm over top.

Application: the doe foot applicator is easy to get the hang of. A sturdy tube of gel is MUCH easier to handle that a bottle of liquid stain (like BeneTint). Gel gives a more even & workable application than pen/marker products. So yes, you can do a quick application in a rear view mirror (while parked). Shades: I love Liquid Kiss, Cupid's Breath, and Nolita. They are perfect MLBB for daily wear, but can get more dramatic with 2-3 layers and a layer of gloss. Highly recommended.

on 6/26/2016 7:23:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

This was recommended to me years ago. It is the only lip product that does not burn my lips. I have tried all the colors over the years. Color doesn't stay long; but you can easily reapply - especially if it is the only thing that feels and looks good at the same time. Highly recommend for sensitive lips.

Beautiful, natural looking colors. Cupid's breath is my favorite.

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

This is wonderful - applies perfectly, lasts forever, is easy to work with, looks beautiful and very natural.

The only gripe I have is the absurdly inaccurate color descriptions. I got mine in Angel's Kiss, which looks berry colored on the website but is actually straight up, serious purple. The closest eyeshadow equivalent in my makeup kit is MAC Fig. 1. It's that purple.

I use this as a lid wash, for which purpose it is brilliant. It creates a natural purple look like you sometimes see on pale children.

on 10/14/2009 9:01:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

I got this because my lips are very dry and pale, so I need color to avoid looking like a consumptive but all lipsticks dry my skin out and get into cracks. I use this as a 'lipliner', smudge it, and it stays on for a few hours which is saying a lot for my lips. I can then use any lipbalms for comfort over it since it just makes my lips look more pigmented. I really like this and would buy again, but it lasts a really long time so I might not have to for a while!

on 8/11/2008 4:47:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

I have this in Terra. Lovely brick-red (no blue tones) which works well on my palish yellow/gold indian skin & isn't too dark. Much more glossy than I expected for a stain, nice texture & smell, plus sleek black case.

Negative - very soft & snaps easily at the base - be careful! I've ended up with cutting slices of this into lippy pots to carry with a brush. The other problem - they discontinued this color & there's none other that works for me, all too blue toned. Their customer service sucks too, absolutely no response to emailing through their website for help on finding an alternative in the right undertones for me in any of their lip products. ThreeCustomColor has the Terra shade in their database, so I get it from them now, I won't purchase anything from VL again.

on 3/2/2008 6:51:00 PM

I first tried the lip stain in Madison, then immediately sent for Cherry and Americana. These stunning IMHO. I haven't had a problem with any of it breaking off (yet). IF I wanted to take one lippie off it would be because it is not a stain - not at all. That was my only disappointment. I have teflon lips - I don't know what it is - but nothing stays on me for long. So I wish I could say it left color on my lips as it fades but it doesn't. But Oh My! The colors are stunning and the "feel" on my lips is so soft - every time I wear one of the colors my husband compliments me - so that's something indeed - will buy more. I am very fair with dark hair and eyes and I like lipsticks that have some color. I love all the ones I have - Americana is a deeper red - Cherry - best clear red I've used and Madison a deeper brownish red - these are sheer when applied and you can always apply more to deepen the color. Great sheen. LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!!!

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

The formula of this lipstick is very good. It's silky and somewhat glossy but very light and wears nicely. I would never call it a stain because it really doesn't. I have it in nude. I am fair, with blond hair and blue eyes. This was too dark and brown/orange on my skin tone. It would be a better shade for brunette or even latino/asian girls. Not for people with pale skin.

Also: I read on here that the stick has a habit of breaking off. I had never had this happen before with a lipstick. I figured since I don't apply my lipstick with aggression it wouldn't break for me, and I bought it. Well, it did break. Now it rubs on the side of the tube and is becoming a mess. I reccommend if yours breaks as soon as mine did, put the remainder in an old container (like a little jar) so you don't waste lipstick.

on 1/22/2008 9:16:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

I have this in Flower Girl, a discontinued shade that is an almost-black-purple in the tube, but a lovely deep berry on lips. This is the greatest formula of any stain I've ever used; it's creamy so it blends well and leaves a stain that doesn't rub off awkwardly and unevenly, as many others I've tried seem to. They also have an SPF of 15, and a very natural finish. I'm planning on purchasing the Nude and Foolish Virgin shades.