Jojoba Oil

Trader Joe's Tea Tree Cleanser & Spa Jojoba Oil

4.2

on 1/10/2017 11:51:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

FYI I used this on my face, so I don't know how it performs on other parts of the body.

I bought this so I could mix it in with a light moisturizer and create something a bite more hydrating, but unfortunately it didn't work out for me. It seems to be a real hit or miss for those with acne-prone skin - it either helps heal and hydrate, or it breaks you out.

I broke out from this, although originally (within the first few days) I thought it was actually helping control my skins natural oils, and clear my skin. But it seems to turn after 3 days of using it, and I felt like I was just breaking out a lot more and my skin wasn't happy.

I bought NOW Organics Jojoba Oil, and I recommend getting a 100% organic version if you plan on using this on your face. Ultimately, it works for some but not others - the benefit when it DOES work, seems to make it worth the risk of breaking out.

Proceed with caution. I used this as a makeup remover for 5 days. Brand was desert essence. I applied to dry skin and removed with a warm, wet washcloth. After 5 days three new cystic pimples showed up on my face. My skin does not like this product. If you have suffered from cystic pimples in the past, you might want to skip this product. Not worth the risk. Test patch first if you decide to try this product.

on 11/20/2016 11:41:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

So I mainly use this for my hair but I have used it on my face as well and it works great for both. I don't use it on my face anymore because I'm currently trying out a different oil but if that won't work in the end I will most likely go back to jojoba. My thirsty hair loves it; if I apply 3-4 drops my hair will look healthy, strong and shiny and it gets so easy to comb, it's like a dream. It also makes my ends look so much healthier and less dry and sad. My face liked it, but only if I applied very little, I think 1-2 drops would be enough for me to apply after washing my face, if I used more than that it just made my skin oily. I also found it to be an oil that my face had to get used to, it broke me out a little in the beginning but that was also while I was experimenting with the amount, I think. However, when I used the right amount I definitely think it had a balancing effect on my skin and it gave my skin a soft glow that I adored, too. The price is great, I can get a bottle of 100 ml here in Sweden for about 9 dollars and that will last me for more than a year even though I use it every day, sometimes even multiple times throughout the day. The brand did not do well on the packaging part, which makes me want to purchase a bottle from a different brand next time, with a glass dropper that would control the amount better. A bonus is that this oil is great for the eczema that I sometimes get on my legs and arms from the cold here. I highly recommend this oil if you have oily skin, kind of thick hair but not super thick that is dry and neglected and if your skin is dry and itching somewhere on your body.

on 8/28/2016 3:12:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I use The Jojoba Company brand oil, it's from Australia and it a bit pricey. It's bright golden yellow and their refining process is tightly controlled and minimal.

My skin responds well, I just pat and lightly rub in a few drops when I need a moisture pick me up. This wax ester is very compatible with the skin, and is able to penetrate. It's not quite as 'dry' or quick to absorb as Argan oil, I find myself rotating between the two, they're both great. They are the lightest, fastest absorbing oils I've ever tried, so I can use them under make up or even on bare skin and don't worry about looking shiny or losing my make up. I know that putting an oil on skin is repulsive to many people, but I've been a convert since 2002.

Jojoba doesn't penetrate the hair cuticle, so it's best used as a sealant rather than a treatment. I'll use coconut oil all over as a pre-wash treatment or additive in my conditioner when I need deep moisturization. But Jojoba is what I use as a leave in on *damp* hair. For me it seals in moisture very well, and when just a few drops are used I don't get a greasy, built up look. (I prefer it to coconut oil as a leave in) Of course if it's it overdone, it'll look greasy. But when I get it just right, my hair is softer and more shiny, and poofiness or frizz is well controlled. Just maybe 4 or 5 drops. The best leave-in anything I've ever used.

I also use it on my toddlers skin if he gets any dry patches.

on 8/4/2016 1:30:00 PM

I was in Europe for almost a month, and despite the lack of pollution in Scandinavia, my skin was absolutely disgusting and terrible. I rarely wore any makeup, except once in Paris, and felt gross all the time in natural lighting. note, I never get pimples ANYWHERE else apart from mostly my forehead and my chin sometimes. so during that time, my forehead was extremely bumpy and marks from former blemishes were very distinguishable. after my trip, I had access to my Cetaphil moisturiser which I couldn't bring to Europe and slathered it over my face. I didn't think it was enough and purchased a bottle of jojoba oil since I read that it doesn't clog pores and is good for acne-prone skin. I couldn't be bothered to purchase a bottle from acne.org and pay for shipping and so got a 200ml bottle from a health shop (from the jojoba company - Australian company) at a very reasonable price. I have been using it for both my face and my hair. I love the fact that my skin absorbs it very well and it doesn't end up like an oily mess. my skin has been so smooth and I haven't got any developing pimples yet, except a few which I pray to god will not erupt and ruin my life again. in lightings, my skin looks wonderful and radiant!!! however, it is a different story for my hair.

in the past, I tried to slather swisse argan oil on my hair because it was recommended, except it never works for me. AT ALL. it completely weighs down my hair and makes it look greasy and my strands clump together. i thought this time it was going to be different and added jojoba oil to my shampoo. i don't think i felt any difference. however after my shower when my hair was slightly damp i tried to distribute a little jojoba oil through my hair and not a lot like last time as i had learnt my lesson. but still it weighs it down until i was able to wash my hair again.

UPDATE 18/01/2017

So I have had the jojoba oil for a while now, since august and now its mid-January. i use it mostly as a makeup remover, in collaboration with my simple makeup wipes. but i still use it sometimes as a deep moisturise (i have a tendency to go overboard with my facial oils)

on 7/3/2016 1:20:00 PM

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

[1]
I really wanted to like this. I first bought it because I heard about the technique of adding a drop to your foundation to make your makeup more luminous. When I tried this, I just ended up looking like an oily mess.

I then tried to used this as part of my skincare routine instead. I tried both mixing it with a moisturizer and using it on its own. It just doesn't do it for me. It never is absorbed by my skin and it just remains a layer of oiliness on my face.

I ended up throwing this out.

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

I use this in two ways at night. I first use it as a makeup remover, by rubbing it on dry skin for a few minutes then wash it off with purpose cleanser. I then dry my face and put 4 drops in my hand and rub it all over my face and neck. I used to have super oily skin and breakouts. Within the first few days of using jojoba oil I noticed my skin changing and becoming less oily. After I apply it as a moisturizer, I wait 20-25 min then apply my retina cream .05. I had been using retin a year and a half and benzaclin for 3 months before trying jojoba oil and I was still oily with acne and my skin tone was so uneven, not to mention very sensitive skin. I have now stopped benzaclin and only use the retin a and jojoba oil. I am far less oily in the daytime now, I have 0 breakouts, and my skin tone is looking more even in just 2 weeks of use. I think it makes the retin a work even better. I don't use it in the daytime because I find it's a little heavy for me. My daytime routine consists of purpose cleanser, Peter Thomas Roth oil free moisturizer, and Hourglass primer before makeup. I will never stop using jojoba oil. Oily skin is absolutely the worst. Thank goodness for jojoba oil.

Jojoba Oil is a staple for me. It has never broken me out, not even once and that's saying something because literally every oil I've ever used has caused me break outs. It probably doesn't break me out because it's actually not an oil, it's a wax that is most similar to human sebum. It also doesn't oxidize like oils can. I use it as a makeup remover followed by Bioderma Sensibio Micellar Water (LOVE). I add it to my moisturizers and hair treatments. I mix it into my night cream and wake up with soft, dewy skin. It's not a stand alone product for me but it's a must have addition to my skin care routine. Organic Jojoba Oil is best and I personally wouldn't recommend conventional as you wouldn't be sure of how it was extracted or if there was any pesticide residue. You never know, so I buy certified USDA organic.

on 4/28/2016 10:08:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

OK I read so many mixed reviews...got a little saddened at how miss understood this wax is. For the most part I see people have come to Jojoba oil as a desperate blind date, hoping it will solve all their ills. So much pressure. Also your skin might not like the chemical profile that this wax provides and that is fine too as we are all different.
I do think that a well stored, recognised organic product is by far better than some you can by off a dusty shelf in the 'head' shops. Yes I have bought from somewhere as dubious as that and ended up with painful spots to prove it. A manufacture date, BBE and manufacturing process is important to know before you part with hard earned cash. I learnt the hard way. Bleh.

I have oily/combination acne prone dehydrated skin.
I have been beaten down by my skin to do the gently gently approach. No 20% AHA's or 15% Vit C's the list goes on. But a pH balanced approach to cleansing/toning/hydration/occlusives/protection. This has really helped my moisture barrier, oil water balance and essentially my worst friends ever - open and closed spots.

I treat this as the base to my own facial oil mix; although I have used this on its own when I first bought it. Just a thought, you can think of this stuff as an active ingredient you might need a little mixed with something like a lotion or oil and that might work for you. Dunno.

This wax was a beautiful golden colour, supplied in a dark bottle. with all of the information above. I added a caspsule of high strength Vit E to the bottle, mixed it up then transferred about 10ml into a sterilised bottle and put the rest in the fridge.

After hydrating my skin, on clean damp hands I would put 2-3 drops in my palm, rub hands together lightly and lightly press into my damp face. All over. Within a minute my face would've absorbed all traces and I could go on with another layer of occlusives or go straight to protection.

I have also used it on my hair, a bit expensive to use as a pre-wash but as a light conditioner or 'sealant' it is nice and doesn't tend to sit on my hair.

I wouldn't use any oil on my face as a cleanser without an emulsifier, my skin doesn't like it. OCM method left me in a hot mess. But I do use this as an eye and lip make-up remover and it is painless, I follow with a pH balanced foaming cleanser and it is totally fine.
No spots, reduced oily shine conditioned skin, and hair. I like it.

I have given this oil 5 lippy's as it has become a staple for me. HTH

on 4/1/2016 9:10:00 PM

CAUTION: I fell victim to glowing reviews about the oil cleansing method and, against my better judgement, slathered this oil all over my face. Jojoba oil broke me out in painful, marble sized cysts. I'm not talking one. I'm talking like 10, which camped out for about 3 weeks and left nasty scars I'm still dealing with 6 months later. If your instincts are telling you that "maybe putting OIL on your skin is counterintuitive"-- stick to what you know. After several years of dealing with moderate acne, I now use a bar of Cetaphil antibacterial soap and water. I try not to pick at my spots and when I do, I cover them with a Hydrocolloid Advanced Healing Blister Bandaid at night. I'm sure this has worked for some people but think twice about what will happen to your skin if you're not one of those people.

Popular Face Skincare Products