Estee Lauder White Linen

Estee Lauder White Linen

3.4

on 12/8/2016 10:29:00 PM

I bought a bottle of White Linen just to try, after reading Turin & Sanchez' 5-star review of it as a soapy aldehydic floral of the highest order-- an epitome of the American ideal of sex appeal.

My mom wore this to death in the '80s, but I was in high school at the time and not really feeling the Lauder classics. I always associated White Linen with professional women in tailored silk dupioni suits and pantyhose.

I didn't like this the first time I sprayed it on. Initially, It had a sour, dusty note that marked it as "not of this era." It reminded me why I dislike the EDT version of Chanel No. 5-- that sour, almost urinary pouf of excessive aldehydes. But, as the day wore on, the sourness vanished and I was left with a very lovely and distinctive waft of rose, jasmine and green stems that says "White Linen" and nothing else. It made me think that maybe those '80s career women and their shoulder pads were on to something here. They certainly don't make signature fragrances like this anymore-- and if you've read some of my reviews on MUA, you know I miss the era of carefully crafted signature scents.

This will never be among my top 3, only because my appreciation for it is more intellectual than instinctual. (Whereas Chanel No. 5 EDP, for instance, is just wham-bam, I'm in heaven every time.) I do wear it every couple of weeks or so, when I'm in the mood. I've learned not to lean in and smell it on myself until it's had about an hour to settle. White Linen is gorgeous, timeless, and deserving of its status-- I can't give it 5 lippies personally, just because it is not entirely "me."

on 9/25/2015 8:31:00 PM

A sparing dab of vintage EdP, in a clear curved glass stoppered mini, applied to the wrist, NOT the harsher sharper reformulated spray depicted above, Morphes into a smooth dry down with a close kinship to EL knowing and Chanel 5. This has More similarity to today's niche roses with oud, ambergris or frankincense than I expected. I used to hate anything with rose or aldehydes. . . WL in particular would give me a horrible headache. Maybe my skin chemistry is changing as I get older. . . .

I still would not have described this as similar to Chanel 22. IMO, the aldehydes do not sparkle or fizz here, and I get a sense of density that Chanel 22 does not have. Whatever the ingredient is that makes me think of EL knowing is characteristic of EL, not Chanel 22, or even vintage EdC chanel 5 which has more pronounced animalic note and darker quality than 22. I kept retrying WL because when I read reviews below such as the one written by Sillage, and I think I must be missing something. . .

Note: I have also tested the reformulated spray which I don't recommend. It is sharper and brighter and more screechy. That may be due to oxidation of the vintage; spray mechanism which throws triple the amount of scent out; and reformulation.

on 9/16/2014 11:23:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Yick. Just does not work on me - smells very "old lady".

Skin: Other, Other, Warm

I just can't get over how amazing White Linen smells the whole day with no layering necessary.
Its strong, but if worn with care I can imagine it could be moderate, otherwise it has a huge silage that will be noticed by everyone around you.
White Linen makes you feel very good to smell so good, which certainly does increases your self confidence.
This is a floral masterpiece, an absolute beauty. I am amazed by it.
What I smell is clean and very pretty.
Its exceptionally classy and very memorable.
This is a 2014 formulation in front of me.

Skin: Very Dry, Dark, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

It is a beautiful scent. When I smell it, I get transported back to my childhood sneaking into my mothers bedroom to play with her makeup and perfume on her vanity. Its such a warm, comforting smell. Like a grandmother wearing a warm cozy sweater we hugging you..

But alas, I am not meant to wear it. It doesn't go well with my chemistry/personality. I was told it makes me smell like old ladies and mothballs.

I thought about buying it just to sniff it when I am at home just for nostalgic purpose. I may, once a good GWP of a perfume comes out.

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

At initial burst, White Linen is sharp, loud, and overpowering. After a few hours, it quieted down to a soapy floral. White Linen might be something to wear to a business luncheon. I can see why some people enjoy this classic. However, it is not for me.

on 12/5/2013 8:47:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I bought White Linen a part of a set of mini Estee Lauder fragrances. Given its name, I expected White Linen to be light and soapy, but it's actually a rather strong floral. Peronally, I find it to be a bit harsh. Although it's not a terrible perfume, I probably won't repurchase.

on 5/9/2013 1:47:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

My husband's all-time favorite perfume, White Linen has probably been my most worn fragrance of my lifetime -- with Shalimar coming in a close second. I've lost count of how many large bottles of White Linen I've been through. It's truly a signature-worthy fragrance, and if I had to choose only one for the rest of my life right now, White Linen would be a major contender, if not the clear winner.

Beginning around 1981, I wore White Linen throughout the 80's and 90's, and I still own it now -- and I always will! I still wear White Linen, esp with my husband, on our dinner dates and vacations -- or I wear it any time I need to feel more centered and like "me". With so much history between us, this perfume does that for me.

Launched in 1978, here are the notes, per parfumo.net:

Top Notes - Bulgarian rose, Jasmine, Lily-of-the-valley
Heart Notes - Orris root, Violet, Carnation
Base Notes - Amber, Moss, Vetiver

White Linen is a clean fresh floral but so much more -- there's a mystique about it, I think. I find it alluring and magnetic.

Personal Story --- In the early 80's, I was at a Christmas cocktail party with my husband (I was wearing Cinnabar) -- and I sniffed a *fabulous* perfume emanating off a young 20-something slim pretty blonde girl who was sitting by herself.

Her perfume was a "drawing in" scent to the max -- it was mysterious, compelling, alluring, and had a pull like a strong magnet. Irresistible. I thought she was bound to attract men like flies, just so they could get better whiffs of that perfume! It was mysterious, hypnotic, & spellbinding to me.

I approached her and said, "I have to ask you -- what is that perfume you're wearing, it just smells so good!" -- to which she replied "White Linen".

Huh? White Linen? That was my husband's fave on me, and I had already gone through at least 2 bottles and had another at home. Yet I didn't recognize it? I never thought of it as a wintery or Christmasy or particularly mysterious/hypnotic/spellbinding fragrance before, but on her, it reeeeeeally was! It made me appreciate it even more, getting that "outsider" perspective. Any time I catch a whiff of White Linen in public, it spins my head around -- it's arresting.

I've always had a big collection of perfumes and have always rotated constantly, almost daily. Once, one of my female coworkers -- who had sniffed many different perfumes rotating on me for a very long time -- stood behind me at work and said, "Right now, you smell the best you've ever smelled". I was wearing White Linen.

on 4/28/2013 11:51:00 AM

Skin: Other, Fair, Cool

Revisiting White Linen 20+ years after I used to wear it, and it's somehow shot into my top 5, for all time. A beautiful floating bubble of aldehydes and pale greens, this scent grounds me and erases all the messy pencil strokes to reveal the tidy lines underneath.
It's modern (in the classic sense), and clean without being ascetic. I'll love it for the feeling it gives me - comfortable, capable, calm.

on 1/10/2013 2:59:00 PM

Lovely floral with a soapy quality, to me. IMO, one of the best iterations of "soapy/clean." Not boring, long-lasting, and does not take on any "dirty" quality. Within its kind, the best.

Popular Fragrances