Ben Nye Neutral Set translucent powder

Filtered by skin tone : Olive
Ben Nye Neutral Set translucent powder
Neutral Set translucent powderNeutral Set translucent powderMy lovely Ben Nye PowdersNeutral Set translucent powder

4.8

Ingredients for Colorless: Talc, Aluminum Hydroxide, Diazolidinyl Urea, Methylparaben, Propylparaben. /////////// Talc, aluminum hydroxide, methylparaben, propylparaben, butylparaben, sorbic acid.

on 5/28/2016 9:59:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

Overall: 4
Price: 4 (approx $10 CAD for 1.75 oz)
Packaging: 3
Buy again: yes

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I bought the 1.75 oz size from Camera Ready Cosmetics.

I go through a lot of powder each year since I'm oily, and while I'm fine with using pressed powder compacts on the go, I prefer to use loose powders when I'm doing my makeup at home. I bought this powder on a whim several years ago just to try something new.

Ben Nye is a theatrical makeup company so stage performers use it to set their stage makeup to make it last through singing and dancing. It doesn't say anything about oil control specifically, but it does say it "controls perspiration". I suppose if you pack it on with a puff all over your face, it would have that effect. Personally, I only use a puff to set under my eyes or any concealing on blemishes. For all over the face I use a brush to pat it on so that it just mattifies without looking super flat.

Performance:

When I set my undereye concealer with a puff with this powder, my concealer lasts significantly longer than if I just apply powder under my eyes with a brush. It really does set makeup amazingly well. If I wear liquid foundation and set my face with a brush, it again helps my makeup last longer, but does nothing for my shine. I'm usually touching up 2-3 hours later or blotting - but hey that's my face, and this powder says nothing about controlling shine. I imagine if I set my face more heavily with a larger face puff (Patrick Starrr style) I'd get more mileage, but I'm ok with that (that's what mattifying makeup setting sprays are for...)

Texture:

This is a very fine milled, white coloured powder. It goes on translucent but if you're heavy handed you might see the white cast. It feels very light, and you can't really see it once it's on your skin, so it doesn't look powdery. If I do touch up with it, I blot my face first, then apply a thin layer over my oily spots, and voila, looks like fresh skin again, so it's great for touching up without looking cakey.

Packaging:

All sizes have a shaker-top dispenser with a twist off cap. I usually shake some product out onto a small dish (I use the lid of a candle...) and then use a puff or brush to apply to my face. Packaging doesn't leak during transportation, which is a plus, but it does not bode well for on the go touch ups.

I've had my 1.75 oz powder for about 3 years, but I've only been using it daily for about 1 year. I still have TONNES left, even after daily usage. I have only used maybe the first 1/6 of the bottle. You definitely get a lot of product for a very good price.

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

PROS

- finely milled
- translucent
- looks natural
- does not alter color of foundation

CONS

- packaging

COMMENTS: Oil control is no better than most powders, but aside from that it's a great no-color powder to set your makeup. I bake with this and it doesn't settle into any fine lines. It works beautifully and does not alter the color of foundation. I transfer this into another container because the packaging sucks, but the product is great.

Will repurchase.

on 9/13/2013 6:11:00 PM

I love this product! Before purchasing this Ben Nye powder I used MAC translucent powder comparing the two products you get a lot more of the Ben Nye powder for less than half of what you would pay for the MAC powder. I paid about $8 for the 1.75g container and I have had this for over a month and am not even half way through it! Trust me when I say the smallest amount goes along way. The thing I love most about this product besides the price is that it doesn't leave you with a white cast on your face and you literally apply it once and you won't need to retouch your make up allday. Since Ben Nye is used for theatrical purposes when you sweat your make up won't smudge or go anywhere. I have purchased almost all of the Ben Nye powders and was impressed with everyone of them. Just give you an idea of how much product your getting for your money with the translucent powder the largest size they sell is an 8 oz. jar which retails for only $13 talk about a deal!

on 1/23/2013 11:34:00 PM

Skin: Other, Olive, Not Sure

Magnificent face powder. I suffer from very oily skin around the T-Zone and this is the only powder I've found to keep it at bay all day long. I love the fact it's both theatrical grade (the special formula controls perspiration making it perfect for high energy performers such as clowns and dancers) and completely colourless. Works far better than MAC 'Studio Fix' Powder ever did and is a good 10 cheaper too! I have the 2oz (49gm) bottle and after 2 months of everyday usage I estimate that I have 98% of powder left, so it's superb value for money. It NEVER cakes on my skin either, I apply it with a damp beauty blender and really buff it into my skin. I imagine it would be perfect for hot, tropical holidays to combat scorching heat and humidity.

on 4/19/2012 11:41:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Warm

I can't believe how long it took me to discover this product and now that I've used it, how can I ever live without it! I'm NC42 and have used for years MAC, Clinique, Estee Lauder, MUFE and just recently purchased Chanel and all were absolutely useless in controlling my oil and terrible to take pictures with. You can use the crappiest foundation but use this powder to set and it will erase all the flaws. It literally leaves a lightweight feel and airbrushed look similar to MUFE HD powder but absolutely no whitecast whatsover! I was skeptical at first but I've taken a million pics in every light possible and it's just perfect. I also use this to dust over my eye primer and it sets no creasing at all. I'm overwhelmed at how amazing this product I tell everyone to purchase this ASAP. And it is so affordable I just can't bear to purchase anything else. The packaging is terrible but my unused Chanel powder top is currently being used to swirl and tap this product on.

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Very inexpensive, I bought this on ebay for less than 15 dollars. And it lasttt soooo long. Since it doesnt come in a jar, I use my empty cream jar and fill it up with it for later touch ups during the day. It is extremely mattyfying and not obvious at all. I have very tanned skin and it doesnt leave any white cast at all. Pure HG material here.

on 9/28/2011 1:55:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Neutral

I actually purchased this to set my makeup for my Halloween costume this year. But because I won't be using THAT much over the Halloween season, I decided to bust it out early and use it for my day-to-day makeup as I was seeking a setting powder anyway. The powder doesn't add a pale cast to my face and keeps my makeup set for the entire day. My blush (Everyday Minerals "Back to School") tends to fade by the end of the day or melt off my oily face and this powder preserves my look. Another thing I like is that it keeps my forehead from getting too greasy, which in turns, makes my bangs greasy and separate. Gross huh? This powder is totally worth the money and is readily avaliable on eBay, Amazon and costume make-up websites.

on 9/9/2010 12:22:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral

My newly favorite setting powder! I've been testing it out for 2 weeks and i am so happy this product works out for me. I am not a fan of the packaging. I use my empty loose powder case from my lancome and transferred the ben nye product there. I use a nice powder fluff and pat it over my face after i'm done doing my make up. it doesn't leave a white cast over my face. (tested even with photograph with or without flash). it's not drying my face or crevices of my face ( especially sides of the nose and chin) but it does a good function of oil-control. i use it hand it hand with my ben nye matte foundation. I have yet to try with other foundations like my mac studio fix and revlon colorstay.

on 2/10/2007 5:59:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Fine

HG powder. Forget MAC's Blot Powder, or DDF's powder... this is THE ONE. For the first time, I went out of the house at 6am, came back at midnite, and my makeup was still on, without having looked cakey or chalky when i left.. it is FANTASTIC! When I'm going out to the club, I use this to ensure that when I get down, my makeup doesnt streak and get eaten up by my face..
The only minus is the packaging (the shaker bottle), but i just use the top of my other powder containers and I'm fine.. Seriously, $4 for a 4.3oz life saver is PEANUTS! I will never stray! I bought it online for a total cost of $5 from some theater supplies site.

Skin: Dry, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

I have the shaker fair powder, it works well for putting all over your face when you are done w/ your makeup. It keeps your makeup in place all day. Great light powder.