Ben Nye Neutral Set translucent powder

Filtered by eye Color : Brown
Ben Nye Neutral Set translucent powder
Neutral Set translucent powderNeutral Set translucent powderMy lovely Ben Nye PowdersNeutral Set translucent powder

4.4

Ingredients for Colorless: Talc, Aluminum Hydroxide, Diazolidinyl Urea, Methylparaben, Propylparaben. /////////// Talc, aluminum hydroxide, methylparaben, propylparaben, butylparaben, sorbic acid.

on 12/12/2016 3:42:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Other, Medium

Most mattifying powder for my oily skin (the RCMA No Color did nothing for me), doesn't oxidise on my face by the end of the day. Amazing price, don't care that it contains parabens, I will keep repurchasing for as long as I live.

on 5/28/2016 9:59:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

Overall: 4
Price: 4 (approx $10 CAD for 1.75 oz)
Packaging: 3
Buy again: yes

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I bought the 1.75 oz size from Camera Ready Cosmetics.

I go through a lot of powder each year since I'm oily, and while I'm fine with using pressed powder compacts on the go, I prefer to use loose powders when I'm doing my makeup at home. I bought this powder on a whim several years ago just to try something new.

Ben Nye is a theatrical makeup company so stage performers use it to set their stage makeup to make it last through singing and dancing. It doesn't say anything about oil control specifically, but it does say it "controls perspiration". I suppose if you pack it on with a puff all over your face, it would have that effect. Personally, I only use a puff to set under my eyes or any concealing on blemishes. For all over the face I use a brush to pat it on so that it just mattifies without looking super flat.

Performance:

When I set my undereye concealer with a puff with this powder, my concealer lasts significantly longer than if I just apply powder under my eyes with a brush. It really does set makeup amazingly well. If I wear liquid foundation and set my face with a brush, it again helps my makeup last longer, but does nothing for my shine. I'm usually touching up 2-3 hours later or blotting - but hey that's my face, and this powder says nothing about controlling shine. I imagine if I set my face more heavily with a larger face puff (Patrick Starrr style) I'd get more mileage, but I'm ok with that (that's what mattifying makeup setting sprays are for...)

Texture:

This is a very fine milled, white coloured powder. It goes on translucent but if you're heavy handed you might see the white cast. It feels very light, and you can't really see it once it's on your skin, so it doesn't look powdery. If I do touch up with it, I blot my face first, then apply a thin layer over my oily spots, and voila, looks like fresh skin again, so it's great for touching up without looking cakey.

Packaging:

All sizes have a shaker-top dispenser with a twist off cap. I usually shake some product out onto a small dish (I use the lid of a candle...) and then use a puff or brush to apply to my face. Packaging doesn't leak during transportation, which is a plus, but it does not bode well for on the go touch ups.

I've had my 1.75 oz powder for about 3 years, but I've only been using it daily for about 1 year. I still have TONNES left, even after daily usage. I have only used maybe the first 1/6 of the bottle. You definitely get a lot of product for a very good price.

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Warm

I bought an 8 oz tub of this stuff off amazon for like $15 cause i had gift credit there. It's pretty cheap (i've read you can find it even cheaper in a store).

It gets 3 sticks from me because it provides a pretty good (and yes, surprisingly velvety) finish; it's mattifying without being drying and it doesn't look cakey or make my shallow acne scars stand out (some powders seem to). It makes my makeup last longer and less prone to being wiped off by my hair or clothes etc.

There can be a slight cast immediately after you apply, but it eventually turns slightly glowy on me. I actually liked it.

Unfortunately, this stuff clogs my pores and causes some itchiness every time i use it (maybe it's the talc?). Even so, I still would've given it 4 sticks (I figure i'm just sensitive) if not for the fact that the formula of this stuff seems pretty outdated. If you're one of those people who likes to avoid parabens, this powder isn't for you.

Oh also, a little goes a long way so you don't need a lot. Even if i ended up using it every day, buying an 8oz tub of it was MAJOR overkill on my part.

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Not Sure

This is REALLY effective. So effective that I wondered if I wanted my oily skin to look quite so matte. However, the neutral one definitely leaves a white cast on my dark skin which would look terrible in photos. I wish I had got the coloured ones and have now ordered the Ben Nye mojave powder.

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

PROS

- finely milled
- translucent
- looks natural
- does not alter color of foundation

CONS

- packaging

COMMENTS: Oil control is no better than most powders, but aside from that it's a great no-color powder to set your makeup. I bake with this and it doesn't settle into any fine lines. It works beautifully and does not alter the color of foundation. I transfer this into another container because the packaging sucks, but the product is great.

Will repurchase.

Doesn't do a thing, looks invisible, not sure what the difference is between this and baby powder...

on 7/27/2015 10:26:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

This powder is a MUST if you live in a hot climate. I live in north Texas where summers are very hot & humid. I have tried tons of powders, including Rimmel Stay Matte and most HD silica powders, and this is the *only* one that truly sets your makeup with a matte natural finish and really lasts. It does contain aluminum as an anti-perspirant, but I have not had any issues with that so far, no breakouts or irritation, and I use this powder at least 5 days per week. It doesn't completely stop sweating, but it does definitely minimize it (I tend to get sweaty around my hairline first). I do have to touch up a few times during the day, but overall I am very pleased with how well this wears. It's a stark white powder, but it blends in easily and doesn't cake up, even if you use quite a bit. Honestly though, a thin well-blended layer is probably all you will need. The finish is matte, but not heavy "dollface" matte. It's very natural & sheer, particularly if you blend well. I am pretty fair-skinned (NW15), so you may need to blend more extensively if you have a deeper skin tone. The packaging is boring, unattractive & not easy to work with, but I just decanted the entire bottle of powder into an empty powder jar I had at home and problem solved. Overall I highly recommend this, especially if you live in a hot climate.

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure

i have EXTREMELY oily skin and this only lasts on my skin for like an hour or two so that's sad :( but it feels good on my skin and it diffuses light and blurs imperfections and makes my skin look 10x better. it doesnt cake up no matter how much i put on. would definitely repurchase as a touch up powder. still looking for that supremely mattifying powder for my oily skin though. for people who are normal - oily, this would definitely work for you

on 6/9/2015 10:56:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure

Although I HATE the banana powder, I really like this neutral set to set my concealer. It does not leave me drying or patchy. & specially it does not leave a white cast under my eye. Great product!

Skin: Oily, Medium, Neutral

Best setting powder ever. I used NYX and ELF setting powders prior to this-the main ingredient in those is silica which works well. The first ingredient in neutral set is talc so I wasn't sure how this would compare but It actually wears better because it stops my face from sweating/getting too oily and breaking down the makeup. I don't get cracks or fine lines at the end of the day and my makeup looks better for longer.

Bought a big jar of this off amazon for a good price. It doesn't take much-just a light dust over the face, I focus more on the T-zone and places I get oily, then I follow up with setting spray. I would wait and apply your mascara AFTER you put this powder on-otherwise I had issues with it getting in my mascara before it completely dried it making it looking powdery.