Ben Nye Neutral Set translucent powder

Filtered by hair type : Wavy
Ben Nye Neutral Set translucent powder
Neutral Set translucent powderNeutral Set translucent powderMy lovely Ben Nye PowdersNeutral Set translucent powder

4.5

Ingredients for Colorless: Talc, Aluminum Hydroxide, Diazolidinyl Urea, Methylparaben, Propylparaben. /////////// Talc, aluminum hydroxide, methylparaben, propylparaben, butylparaben, sorbic acid.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

I bought this due to the ingredient list being similar to my favorite setting powder. It's actually pretty hard to find talc in setting powders these days since silica products have gotten more attention. This has both talc and silica. Talc is my favorite oil absorbing ingredient. I thought I was going to love this powder.

The name is misleading as it's not a neutral shade. It's a stark white powder. Yes, most of the white color blends away when you buff it in. I've experienced worse whitecast by other products.However this does lighten my foundation by 1 shade. Ben Nye Neutral Set truly is translucent in terms of coverage. Yet I felt like I could visibly see the powder sitting on my skin.

I tried using this with less matte foundation formulas just to test it out (my go-to fndt is very matte on its own). My face looked really gross within a few hours. I could see the make up separate from my skin once my oil broke through.

I honestly don't get the love so many reviewers have for this product. I think the tinted ones might be worth looking into if they blend more seamlessly. But... I am NC10 (very pale leaning yellow). Cameo and Fair were too pink/dark toned for me. I will admit I do like this better than the Make Up For Ever HD silica powder everyone raves about, but that isn't saying much given the low rating I gave that product too.

on 4/8/2016 2:32:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I really like this powder. Supposedly it controls oil and prevents makeup from breaking down in heat and humidity. I live in Florida and can vouch for these benefits. I mix this powder with the UD Naked loose powder, which is tinted, just so I don't get an overly chalky effect from using Ben Nye alone. The added tint is just perfect for a flawless finish. I use just a little tinted powder and a considerable amount of Neutral Set and my makeup stays fresh for hours. This powder does contain talc, which I'm normally sensitive to. However, I have no reaction to this powder whatsoever and it doesn't sting my face like other talc based products. So frankly I don't think it has a lot of talc in it. I order it from Amazon but it didn't come with an ingredient list so I don't know for sure how much talc is in it or if it has any at all. I discovered this product through a Pinterest post that claimed it contains talc but I've been unable to verify this. Judging from the fact that I've had no reaction to it at all, I would say that it contains very little if any. It gives my face a nice finish without leaving it looking too matte and flat. It doesn't change the color of my foundation because it has no color to it at all. It's a white powder similar in consistency to MUFE HD powder or ELF HD powder, both of which I've used in the past and liked, but not as much as I like Ben Nye. Apparently Neutral Set is what actors and models are wearing when they're under stage lights and tv cameras and it's supposed to keep makeup from melting under these harsh conditions. As far as harsh conditions go, the relentless Florida sun and climbing humidity are enough of a test for any makeup product, especially a powder. Neutral Set has held up great for me and it keeps my makeup as fresh as possible. I do use either UD All Nighter setting spray or Supergoop SPF 50 setting spray so that may have something to do with the longevity I've experienced. However, using Neutral Set has made a difference because I've found that my makeup stays fresher when I use it compared to using the UD powder or one of the others I mentioned by themselves. Adding Neutral Set to a tinted soft focus powder just ensures the finish isn't chalky. However, when I use a setting spray, this prevents the finish from looking too powdery and it melds everything together nicely. In sum, I really like Neutral Set and find it far superior to either MUFE or ELF and better than using UD powder alone. Whatever the magical ingredients are, they definitely help my makeup stay fresh longer while controlling oil breakthrough at the same time. I recommend this powder for all skin types but especially for oily or combination skin. If it keeps my makeup fresh in Florida, it will surely work anywhere.

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

PROS

- finely milled
- translucent
- looks natural
- does not alter color of foundation

CONS

- packaging

COMMENTS: Oil control is no better than most powders, but aside from that it's a great no-color powder to set your makeup. I bake with this and it doesn't settle into any fine lines. It works beautifully and does not alter the color of foundation. I transfer this into another container because the packaging sucks, but the product is great.

Will repurchase.

on 7/27/2015 10:26:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

This powder is a MUST if you live in a hot climate. I live in north Texas where summers are very hot & humid. I have tried tons of powders, including Rimmel Stay Matte and most HD silica powders, and this is the *only* one that truly sets your makeup with a matte natural finish and really lasts. It does contain aluminum as an anti-perspirant, but I have not had any issues with that so far, no breakouts or irritation, and I use this powder at least 5 days per week. It doesn't completely stop sweating, but it does definitely minimize it (I tend to get sweaty around my hairline first). I do have to touch up a few times during the day, but overall I am very pleased with how well this wears. It's a stark white powder, but it blends in easily and doesn't cake up, even if you use quite a bit. Honestly though, a thin well-blended layer is probably all you will need. The finish is matte, but not heavy "dollface" matte. It's very natural & sheer, particularly if you blend well. I am pretty fair-skinned (NW15), so you may need to blend more extensively if you have a deeper skin tone. The packaging is boring, unattractive & not easy to work with, but I just decanted the entire bottle of powder into an empty powder jar I had at home and problem solved. Overall I highly recommend this, especially if you live in a hot climate.

Skin: Oily, Medium, Neutral

Best setting powder ever. I used NYX and ELF setting powders prior to this-the main ingredient in those is silica which works well. The first ingredient in neutral set is talc so I wasn't sure how this would compare but It actually wears better because it stops my face from sweating/getting too oily and breaking down the makeup. I don't get cracks or fine lines at the end of the day and my makeup looks better for longer.

Bought a big jar of this off amazon for a good price. It doesn't take much-just a light dust over the face, I focus more on the T-zone and places I get oily, then I follow up with setting spray. I would wait and apply your mascara AFTER you put this powder on-otherwise I had issues with it getting in my mascara before it completely dried it making it looking powdery.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This product was far too white looking for me, even as a NC20 fair-medium. It is multi-purpose though so I suppose it could be used for other things. I am very particular with color matching on my face and I don't like the white ghost look. Even too white to set my eye concealer. Only recommend for very fair complexion. A shame because the texture and finish are very nice.

on 1/14/2014 2:25:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Perfect. This powder doesn't cake, doesn't alter tone, and sets your makeup all day. Plus its dirt cheap! The container isn't awesome but I just tap some out into an old powder cap and I'm good to go. Plus it lasts forever.

on 9/8/2013 6:59:00 AM

I absolutely love this setting powder. It sets your make-up lightly without getting cakey or heavy. I have tried them all; Nars, MUFE, Tarte, etc. and this is so much cheaper and does a better job.

I found that Tarte and MUFE gave me a white cast no matter how little I used, so I would always have to go back and touch up my blush and bronzer because I looked washed out. That doesn't happen with Neutral Set. It gives my complexion a flawless finish (and trust me, it isn't!), my pores disappear and my make-up stays put.

A huge bottle of this is only $14 and lasts forever so that is less than half of what any of the higher end setting powders run and you get more than twice the amount of product. It is available on-line through numerous retailers but I live in the Houston area and am fortunate to have two theatrical costumers in the area and they always have this on-hand.

on 4/21/2013 4:05:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Considering that I got this product with my school kit, I probably will buy it for the sake of clients but when it come to using this on my own face, I find it irritating.

I ended up switching over to 'Estee Lauder' - Lucidity Translucent Loose Powder because it's the only product that I haven't reacted to yet despite the price.

The packaging is good, just be cautious not to spill out too much and always brush your face with a large clean brush to get rid of excess powder.

on 2/12/2013 1:24:00 AM

This stuff would have serious HG potential, if it weren't for the ingredients. I too was obsessed with the finish it gave to the skin and the lasting power (it makes my oily-combo skin matte all day) until another MUAer pointed out that its "basically like putting deodorant on your face".

The ingredients: Talc, Aluminum Hydroxide, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Butylparaben, Sorbic Acid.

If this doesn't freak you out, then by all means, PLEASE try this powder. It works wonders (I use Neutral Set on my NW20 skin, but it blends in beautifully and matches nearly every skintone) and you won't be sorry. Unfortunately I reserve this only for special nights out when I want to look flawless, or on a day that I know I won't be able to touch up my makeup. I won't repurchase because the ingredients freak me out - I know the deodorant-aluminum/breast cancer link (in regards to underarms) hasn't been 100% proven, but why take the chance? Sad, because I love the look of this powder!