Ben Nye Neutral Set translucent powder

Filtered by skin tone : Fair-Medium
Ben Nye Neutral Set translucent powder
Neutral Set translucent powderNeutral Set translucent powderMy lovely Ben Nye PowdersNeutral Set translucent powder

4.4

Price: $

Price: $

Ingredients for Colorless: Talc, Aluminum Hydroxide, Diazolidinyl Urea, Methylparaben, Propylparaben. /////////// Talc, aluminum hydroxide, methylparaben, propylparaben, butylparaben, sorbic acid.

on 4/8/2016 2:32:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I really like this powder. Supposedly it controls oil and prevents makeup from breaking down in heat and humidity. I live in Florida and can vouch for these benefits. I mix this powder with the UD Naked loose powder, which is tinted, just so I don't get an overly chalky effect from using Ben Nye alone. The added tint is just perfect for a flawless finish. I use just a little tinted powder and a considerable amount of Neutral Set and my makeup stays fresh for hours. This powder does contain talc, which I'm normally sensitive to. However, I have no reaction to this powder whatsoever and it doesn't sting my face like other talc based products. So frankly I don't think it has a lot of talc in it. I order it from Amazon but it didn't come with an ingredient list so I don't know for sure how much talc is in it or if it has any at all. I discovered this product through a Pinterest post that claimed it contains talc but I've been unable to verify this. Judging from the fact that I've had no reaction to it at all, I would say that it contains very little if any. It gives my face a nice finish without leaving it looking too matte and flat. It doesn't change the color of my foundation because it has no color to it at all. It's a white powder similar in consistency to MUFE HD powder or ELF HD powder, both of which I've used in the past and liked, but not as much as I like Ben Nye. Apparently Neutral Set is what actors and models are wearing when they're under stage lights and tv cameras and it's supposed to keep makeup from melting under these harsh conditions. As far as harsh conditions go, the relentless Florida sun and climbing humidity are enough of a test for any makeup product, especially a powder. Neutral Set has held up great for me and it keeps my makeup as fresh as possible. I do use either UD All Nighter setting spray or Supergoop SPF 50 setting spray so that may have something to do with the longevity I've experienced. However, using Neutral Set has made a difference because I've found that my makeup stays fresher when I use it compared to using the UD powder or one of the others I mentioned by themselves. Adding Neutral Set to a tinted soft focus powder just ensures the finish isn't chalky. However, when I use a setting spray, this prevents the finish from looking too powdery and it melds everything together nicely. In sum, I really like Neutral Set and find it far superior to either MUFE or ELF and better than using UD powder alone. Whatever the magical ingredients are, they definitely help my makeup stay fresh longer while controlling oil breakthrough at the same time. I recommend this powder for all skin types but especially for oily or combination skin. If it keeps my makeup fresh in Florida, it will surely work anywhere.

on 3/25/2016 10:52:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I love this powder. Very affordable and it works so well with any foundation. It makes my foundation stay on all day. However the packaging, ugh. the cap is useless. You'd have to take something else to put your powder into.

I got a small tube of this product to set my makeup on a daily bases.

I used it back when Ben Nye was a hyped brand among youtubers. The quality is pretty good considering the price but I gave up on Ben Nye after I realized the it clogs my pores and causes me to break out...no surprise there given how cheap the product actually is.

This past Halloween I pulled the powder out in order to set a full "day of the dead" face makeup..... It didn't work. The makeup smudged and it also the "translucent" powder lighted the black parts of the makeup. I did layer a good amount of powder since I was going to spend the night wearing it... but after only a few hours it failed to hold up.

Disappointed in the results when used as its actually meant to be used...for heavy cosmetics.

on 7/4/2014 8:34:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

I had very high hopes for this powder, since it is made for theater and contains an anti-presperant! As gross as it sounds, I get sweaty very fast in warm weather, so makeup that just controls oil was never enough for me.

As a powder, the Neutral Set works like any other loose powder. It does get messy, and because the big 8 ounce jar doesn't have a shaker or some form of packaging to control the product being dispensed, it gets messy. However, it blends well into my skin and doesn't show up as white or cakey. Sadly, I don't think it actually controls sweat as it claims to. As I always say, maybe I'm just overly oily and sweaty, but overall, I was disappointed by the product. It still works nicely as a translucent powder when I want a light finish that doesn't look cakey, but the fact that I still get oily and sweaty was just a bummer.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This product was far too white looking for me, even as a NC20 fair-medium. It is multi-purpose though so I suppose it could be used for other things. I am very particular with color matching on my face and I don't like the white ghost look. Even too white to set my eye concealer. Only recommend for very fair complexion. A shame because the texture and finish are very nice.

on 5/6/2014 2:07:00 PM

I'm so glad I got this powder, it's amazing !! I bought this, the luxury powder in buff and translucent powder in fair and I love them all. If you suffer from an oily t-zone like me then try this little tip... After letting moisturiser sink in, I shake a little neutral set powder on a big powder brush (either Liz Earle large powder brush or Real Techniques powder brush) and buff into my nose, chin and forehead. Then I apply Bourjois CC cream (another amazing find by the way), touch up with concealer if necessary but I find using the neutral set powder as a primer really helps with the coverage of my base, then I powder with either the luxury powder or the translucent powder, quite heavily in fact as they never seem to look overdone no matter how much I apply, then my usual bronzer (if I decide to) and blush. I then take a teeny tiny amount of neutral set on a sheer finish powder brush by Bobbi Brown and lightly dust my nose and chin again and honestly my skin is matt but glowy and pores are airbrushed into oblivion with no white cast. This keeps my nose and chin shine free for about a good five hours and really stops any separation of my base around the creases of my nose. I have an obsession with face powder, especially loose powder and I have tried so many, Chanel was my No 1 until I tried Ben Nye powders and I have to say I'm thrilled. I ordered the 49 gram shaker jar of this for only 4 (30 grams of Chanel loose powder cost me 32) and I plan on purchasing the 226 gram size jar of neutral set, the luxury powder in buff and the fair translucent powder as soon as possible, they're that good. The neutral set powder contains an ingredient to help with perspiration. Even this wee size will last me ages and is good for travelling as it's not bulky. I just wish I'd tried these sooner and will never be without. I personally like the packaging as I just shake the powder into another loose powder lid when applying. All Ben Nye powders are talc based but that doesn't worry me in the slightest. Amazing powders especially for the price and I love the subtle talcum powder smell. It's worth trying anyway, the worst that can happen is you lose a few quid, (you can always pass it on to someone else) and I've personally wasted much more trying products that don't hold a candle to this. Big thumbs up from me :)

on 2/8/2014 2:47:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Sorry to be one of the only few nay-sayers to this wonderful product, but I've had FAR better results using the cheapest drugstore powder I could find, versus using this stuff to set my BB cream. No matter how I applied this powder (using blotting sheets before applying the powder, using a powder puff to apply the powder, using a powder brush to apply the powder, using a stippling brush to apply the powder, tapping off the excess, which I always do anyways, before applying, etc.), I absolutely could not stop this powder from caking HORRIBLY on me. I had to go and wash my face every time I set my make-up with this stuff because the caking was just THAT bad. Also, although I could blend out this powder onto my wrist and have it disappear completely, it very obviously lightened my BB cream by about a shade whenever I applied it onto my face (probably because I tried not to buff it too much into my face as not to displace my BB cream).

I'm so torn over this product; I've never seen a single review saying that this powder (or any other Ben Nye powder for that matter) was the least bit cakey, and I truly believe this because I've watched plenty of demos on YouTube where the people who applied this stuff had the most flawless finishes! I don't know why, but it just cakes so, so, so terribly on me. I got the Ben Nye neutral set powder from eBay from a reputable seller (spotlight_21), so I doubt authenticity is an issue here. Also, the oil control is no different from any other powder I've ever used; I still oiled up considerably by the two-hour mark. The packaging is also quite awful and messy... I really wish I hadn't spent $16 on the massive 8 oz. jar. :(

Despite how awful this stuff looks on me, I wouldn't exactly recommend NOT buying it... And I say this because I seem to be only one of an extreme minority who ends up with a really cakey finish every time I set my BB cream with this powder. For the other 99% of people who use this, this powder sets their make-up really beautifully and so, I can't exactly say not to get it... But I will recommend those who are still interested in this powder to first get a sample of this stuff that comes in a sifter jar. Not only do you have a mess-free way of testing out this powder via the sifter jar, but you also won't regret buying this stuff if you end up not liking this powder like I didn't.

on 9/8/2013 6:59:00 AM

I absolutely love this setting powder. It sets your make-up lightly without getting cakey or heavy. I have tried them all; Nars, MUFE, Tarte, etc. and this is so much cheaper and does a better job.

I found that Tarte and MUFE gave me a white cast no matter how little I used, so I would always have to go back and touch up my blush and bronzer because I looked washed out. That doesn't happen with Neutral Set. It gives my complexion a flawless finish (and trust me, it isn't!), my pores disappear and my make-up stays put.

A huge bottle of this is only $14 and lasts forever so that is less than half of what any of the higher end setting powders run and you get more than twice the amount of product. It is available on-line through numerous retailers but I live in the Houston area and am fortunate to have two theatrical costumers in the area and they always have this on-hand.

on 7/18/2013 8:22:00 PM

Thank you MUA!! NC 25/30 here. I was all set to splurge on Nars light reflecting powder, but decided to look here for a cheaper alternative (setting powders and mascara are two things that I don't like to spend much money on). I'm not saying that this is a dupe of Nars' (and this isn't a comparison review, but I honestly couldn't tell the difference between the two on my face, other than maybe, just maybe the Nars is a bit more brightening??). Anyhow, very impressed by this product. It does everything I want a setting powder to do, and a bit more. It's extremely finely milled, and can go up against any expensive face powder, is not cakey or powdery and looks like nothing on, except that my face looks more "finished" and my skin just a bit nicer. It may initially lighten my face by a tiny fraction, though all face powders seem to do that to me. I got the translucent one/which looks white but fear not, it really is translucent. I have slightly oily skin, and this lasts me at least 4-5 hours, though frankly looking a bit "dewy" by the end of the day doesn't bother me much (I just use blotting sheets if necessary). Not sure how this would work on very oily skin, but I think that if you have normal/dry or normal/oily skin, you'll be happy with this. I got this at a costume shop which has a smattering of stage makeup, though you can easily find it online. Still dirt cheap even including shipping cost (about $6-8 for 1.75 oz -- about 5 times the size of department store loose powders--usually about .33 oz or less). Everyone else has talked about the lousy packaging... I will just transfer it to one of my nice empty powder boxes. In short, highly recommended.

PS--a few people here mentioned that it has parabens...I haven't bothered to check but thought I should mention.

on 4/2/2013 4:09:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I can honestly say that this is not a miracle product, I had to reapply this after a couple of hours . I have combination skin, my skin is not very oily. I bought it, used a couple of times and stopped using it after reading that it has parabens. I will not re-buy or use this powder. Parabens are not good for our health..