Ben Nye Neutral Set translucent powder

Filtered by skin type : Acne-prone
Ben Nye Neutral Set translucent powder
Neutral Set translucent powderNeutral Set translucent powderMy lovely Ben Nye PowdersNeutral Set translucent powder

4.5

Ingredients for Colorless: Talc, Aluminum Hydroxide, Diazolidinyl Urea, Methylparaben, Propylparaben. /////////// Talc, aluminum hydroxide, methylparaben, propylparaben, butylparaben, sorbic acid.

on 5/28/2016 9:59:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

Overall: 4
Price: 4 (approx $10 CAD for 1.75 oz)
Packaging: 3
Buy again: yes

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I bought the 1.75 oz size from Camera Ready Cosmetics.

I go through a lot of powder each year since I'm oily, and while I'm fine with using pressed powder compacts on the go, I prefer to use loose powders when I'm doing my makeup at home. I bought this powder on a whim several years ago just to try something new.

Ben Nye is a theatrical makeup company so stage performers use it to set their stage makeup to make it last through singing and dancing. It doesn't say anything about oil control specifically, but it does say it "controls perspiration". I suppose if you pack it on with a puff all over your face, it would have that effect. Personally, I only use a puff to set under my eyes or any concealing on blemishes. For all over the face I use a brush to pat it on so that it just mattifies without looking super flat.

Performance:

When I set my undereye concealer with a puff with this powder, my concealer lasts significantly longer than if I just apply powder under my eyes with a brush. It really does set makeup amazingly well. If I wear liquid foundation and set my face with a brush, it again helps my makeup last longer, but does nothing for my shine. I'm usually touching up 2-3 hours later or blotting - but hey that's my face, and this powder says nothing about controlling shine. I imagine if I set my face more heavily with a larger face puff (Patrick Starrr style) I'd get more mileage, but I'm ok with that (that's what mattifying makeup setting sprays are for...)

Texture:

This is a very fine milled, white coloured powder. It goes on translucent but if you're heavy handed you might see the white cast. It feels very light, and you can't really see it once it's on your skin, so it doesn't look powdery. If I do touch up with it, I blot my face first, then apply a thin layer over my oily spots, and voila, looks like fresh skin again, so it's great for touching up without looking cakey.

Packaging:

All sizes have a shaker-top dispenser with a twist off cap. I usually shake some product out onto a small dish (I use the lid of a candle...) and then use a puff or brush to apply to my face. Packaging doesn't leak during transportation, which is a plus, but it does not bode well for on the go touch ups.

I've had my 1.75 oz powder for about 3 years, but I've only been using it daily for about 1 year. I still have TONNES left, even after daily usage. I have only used maybe the first 1/6 of the bottle. You definitely get a lot of product for a very good price.

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Warm

I bought an 8 oz tub of this stuff off amazon for like $15 cause i had gift credit there. It's pretty cheap (i've read you can find it even cheaper in a store).

It gets 3 sticks from me because it provides a pretty good (and yes, surprisingly velvety) finish; it's mattifying without being drying and it doesn't look cakey or make my shallow acne scars stand out (some powders seem to). It makes my makeup last longer and less prone to being wiped off by my hair or clothes etc.

There can be a slight cast immediately after you apply, but it eventually turns slightly glowy on me. I actually liked it.

Unfortunately, this stuff clogs my pores and causes some itchiness every time i use it (maybe it's the talc?). Even so, I still would've given it 4 sticks (I figure i'm just sensitive) if not for the fact that the formula of this stuff seems pretty outdated. If you're one of those people who likes to avoid parabens, this powder isn't for you.

Oh also, a little goes a long way so you don't need a lot. Even if i ended up using it every day, buying an 8oz tub of it was MAJOR overkill on my part.

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Not Sure

This is REALLY effective. So effective that I wondered if I wanted my oily skin to look quite so matte. However, the neutral one definitely leaves a white cast on my dark skin which would look terrible in photos. I wish I had got the coloured ones and have now ordered the Ben Nye mojave powder.

on 3/3/2015 11:02:00 AM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

This powder is excellent at setting foundation, causes no pattchy dry bits and does not effect your foundation colour at all (so long as you don't use too much). Yet somehow it creates a sort of flawless look. Can be used for subtle contouring in areas you want to highlight but not wanting to look greasy (forehead etc). Use quite a dense brush and deliberately pat on too much powder, leave for a bit then gently brush off excess. Nice and cheep too. Lovely.

HOWEVER if you have acne you really can't us this everyday. It's okay for nights out or special occasions but will brake you out if you use it everyday. So sad cause it's really beautiful.

on 4/1/2013 12:53:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

I have used MAC Prep & Prime translucent powder for years and absolutely loved it, but it got to the stage where I was repurchasing it every other month and it had become quite an expensive habit, so I did some MUA research and thought I would give this a go. I was surprised when I received it in the post because the bottle contains 49g, which is six times the amount you get with MAC Prep & Prime, but the container itself is really small. It just shows how deceptive the packaging is with the MAC one.

I am not a fan of the bottle-style packaging because I like to dispense loose powder into the lid of the pot and dip my brush into that, which isn't really possible because the lid is so small. I have been transferring this into an old Prep & Prime container to get around that (any loose powder container with a sifter would do). I have already filled the MAC container twice but it has hardly made a dent in the Ben Nye bottle, so you do get an awful lot of product for the money (this cost 5.50 plus postage, which came to about 8 in total. The MAC powder is 18.50 for less than a sixth of the amount!).

In terms of the product itself, the finish it gives is lovely and there is no white cast on my skin, even when I am wearing false tan (which takes me up to about an NC20-25). It does set make-up very nicely without making the skin look overly powdery, and it hasn't broken me out at all. I think the main difference between this and the MAC P&P is that the MAC one is slightly more finely milled and does control my oil for slightly longer. With the Ben Nye I have to touch up after about four hours, so it is still good but not quite as good. I also can't use this under my eyes, but I do have very sensitive eyes and I prefer to use other powders for that anyway. I would be more than willing to repurchase given the massive difference in cost. It is far better than most powders I have tried.

on 12/20/2012 2:05:00 AM

THIS STUFF IS AMAZING. I combine this and the Banana shade, and the result is beautiful. I've tried 100's of powders, and this is the only one that looks absolutely natural and also has staying power. I mean, REAL staying power. and it DOES. NOT. CAKE. HG Loose Powder for sure.

Also, it's super cheap compared to other powders, especially ones as finely milled and high quality.

Oh, and it doesn't break me out at all. My skin has been well-behaved with it, and it'll react to anything if it has a single pore-clogging ingredient in it.

on 6/6/2012 12:29:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I bought this based on the great reviews after I seen pretty cheap on a website. I tried it on half my face...my sampled side had an instant airbrush like quality but still looked natural. There was no trace of white and didn't affect the color my other makeup at all. For those claiming it does they must be heavy handed? I worked out pretty intense at home for half hour and ran to the mirror and reviewers were right, this STUFF IS INCREDIBLE. My makeup was still on and while I was pretty red, my makeup looked ten times better than the other half of my face without the setting powder. I'm pretty excited to own this product:)

I love this! but the packaging is a pain. I just bought a powder dish with a sifter and put it in their. way less work and now I might not spill it everywhere all the time!

on 9/28/2011 1:55:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Neutral

I actually purchased this to set my makeup for my Halloween costume this year. But because I won't be using THAT much over the Halloween season, I decided to bust it out early and use it for my day-to-day makeup as I was seeking a setting powder anyway. The powder doesn't add a pale cast to my face and keeps my makeup set for the entire day. My blush (Everyday Minerals "Back to School") tends to fade by the end of the day or melt off my oily face and this powder preserves my look. Another thing I like is that it keeps my forehead from getting too greasy, which in turns, makes my bangs greasy and separate. Gross huh? This powder is totally worth the money and is readily avaliable on eBay, Amazon and costume make-up websites.

on 12/14/2010 5:47:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

I actually got this at a Halloween store to set my white face makeup I was wearing as part of my costume. I believe it cost $6 for my 0.9 oz. container. After Halloween, I have been using it with my everyday makeup. It gives me a very natural look! I would say it looks better than any other powder I've ever used. Granted, it is my first and only translucent powder. I'm not a big fan of the packaging, as it actually has to be sprinkled out like baby powder, but then again the packaging is travel friendly, unlike other loose powders I've used!