Ben Nye Neutral Set translucent powder

Filtered by skin tone : Fair
Ben Nye Neutral Set translucent powder
Neutral Set translucent powderNeutral Set translucent powderMy lovely Ben Nye PowdersNeutral Set translucent powder

4.4

Ingredients for Colorless: Talc, Aluminum Hydroxide, Diazolidinyl Urea, Methylparaben, Propylparaben. /////////// Talc, aluminum hydroxide, methylparaben, propylparaben, butylparaben, sorbic acid.

I bought it because I wanted a translucent powder, as I'm very pale with a strong yellow undertone and I was sick of coloured powders which had the wrong undertone/shade and ruined my makeup. This is not translucent. It's not completely stark white, but it is white and noticeably alters the colour of my makeup.
It's not mattifying, either. It actually causes me to become slightly shiny all over my face after about 2 hours, which is especially strange since most of my face is not oily at all. It's as if I never applied powder to begin with.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

A great product in a very practical shaker container. It's cheap, lasts well, and looks good. And it is cruelty free!!

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

I bought this due to the ingredient list being similar to my favorite setting powder. It's actually pretty hard to find talc in setting powders these days since silica products have gotten more attention. This has both talc and silica. Talc is my favorite oil absorbing ingredient. I thought I was going to love this powder.

The name is misleading as it's not a neutral shade. It's a stark white powder. Yes, most of the white color blends away when you buff it in. I've experienced worse whitecast by other products.However this does lighten my foundation by 1 shade. Ben Nye Neutral Set truly is translucent in terms of coverage. Yet I felt like I could visibly see the powder sitting on my skin.

I tried using this with less matte foundation formulas just to test it out (my go-to fndt is very matte on its own). My face looked really gross within a few hours. I could see the make up separate from my skin once my oil broke through.

I honestly don't get the love so many reviewers have for this product. I think the tinted ones might be worth looking into if they blend more seamlessly. But... I am NC10 (very pale leaning yellow). Cameo and Fair were too pink/dark toned for me. I will admit I do like this better than the Make Up For Ever HD silica powder everyone raves about, but that isn't saying much given the low rating I gave that product too.

on 7/27/2015 10:26:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

This powder is a MUST if you live in a hot climate. I live in north Texas where summers are very hot & humid. I have tried tons of powders, including Rimmel Stay Matte and most HD silica powders, and this is the *only* one that truly sets your makeup with a matte natural finish and really lasts. It does contain aluminum as an anti-perspirant, but I have not had any issues with that so far, no breakouts or irritation, and I use this powder at least 5 days per week. It doesn't completely stop sweating, but it does definitely minimize it (I tend to get sweaty around my hairline first). I do have to touch up a few times during the day, but overall I am very pleased with how well this wears. It's a stark white powder, but it blends in easily and doesn't cake up, even if you use quite a bit. Honestly though, a thin well-blended layer is probably all you will need. The finish is matte, but not heavy "dollface" matte. It's very natural & sheer, particularly if you blend well. I am pretty fair-skinned (NW15), so you may need to blend more extensively if you have a deeper skin tone. The packaging is boring, unattractive & not easy to work with, but I just decanted the entire bottle of powder into an empty powder jar I had at home and problem solved. Overall I highly recommend this, especially if you live in a hot climate.

on 3/3/2015 11:02:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

This powder is excellent at setting foundation, causes no pattchy dry bits and does not effect your foundation colour at all (so long as you don't use too much). Yet somehow it creates a sort of flawless look. Can be used for subtle contouring in areas you want to highlight but not wanting to look greasy (forehead etc). Use quite a dense brush and deliberately pat on too much powder, leave for a bit then gently brush off excess. Nice and cheep too. Lovely.

HOWEVER if you have acne you really can't us this everyday. It's okay for nights out or special occasions but will brake you out if you use it everyday. So sad cause it's really beautiful.

This is good stuff and if you have not you need to try it. It's well worth a try. I have a lot of high end powders that cost a lot and I do believe that this is really good. I got mine off eBay from in* pink in 20 gram sifter jars and they are really nice and labeled beautifully. I got 5 or 6 sample jars for less than $19 and free shipping, that's a lot of powders and realize that's bigger than most high end ones like nars and MUFE. I got a bunch of ben nye powders and I liked all of them I tried.

on 3/19/2014 1:19:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

My favourite powder, lasts ages, sets every foundation I've tried and lasts all day. only downside is the bottle. I paid about 8 pound for it online for it in the UK and compared it to my usual powder which I pay more than double that price for for 0.75 oz and this is a 3oz. Best value powder out there with amazing results.

on 3/5/2014 3:10:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

This powder is serious stuff and when it works, my face stays matte all day. That being said, I've had it look fantastic and I've had it cake up. I've had it look flawless and natural, and I've also managed to look like my face was made of powder particles. It's been rather hit or miss and I suspect it has a lot to do with product interaction, how much is applied, and how long I've waited for my foundation to really dry down before applying. Although it might sound strange, I've found that properly moisturizing my face prior to application helped a lot. When it works, it really works, but it's been such a struggle to get it to work that I usually opt for my more reliable option, the Catrice Prime and Fine mattifying loose powder. I also found this to be more successful for me in the summer than in the winter, because you know, this powder comes in a massive bottle, so I've tried it in all seasons, and I'll probably have enough to last me the rest of my life.

Despite sounding on the fence about it, if you really struggle with oil control, this is worth trying. It's not going to break the bank, and as us oily gals know, we'll try anything to tame our faces. It can work. It does work. It just takes some experimentation to get there.

Hair: Blond, Relaxed, Other

I've had this in the 49g pot, have had it for just under a year and have barely made a dent. It goes on beautifully and doesn't alter your make up colour at all. Makes everything stay put throughout the day and is oh so very cheap.

on 1/14/2014 2:25:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Perfect. This powder doesn't cake, doesn't alter tone, and sets your makeup all day. Plus its dirt cheap! The container isn't awesome but I just tap some out into an old powder cap and I'm good to go. Plus it lasts forever.