Ben Nye Neutral Set translucent powder

Ben Nye Neutral Set translucent powder
Neutral Set translucent powderNeutral Set translucent powderMy lovely Ben Nye PowdersNeutral Set translucent powder

4.5

Ingredients for Colorless: Talc, Aluminum Hydroxide, Diazolidinyl Urea, Methylparaben, Propylparaben. /////////// Talc, aluminum hydroxide, methylparaben, propylparaben, butylparaben, sorbic acid.

I wanted to add the ingredients list above, but for some reason, it won't let me. So I'm adding them here:
HTH someone! Took me forever to find the ingredients online!

on 5/30/2012 4:35:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

When I was a make up artist at Walt Disney Entertainment stocked this powder in every color/shage that we could get. So this product is old school to me. Males, females, stage, film, society ....it works for every application. It layers beautifully as well. Always a staple in my kit.
Love love love, did I say love it.

Skin: Combination, Dark, Cool

Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse

Finally learned how to use this powder and ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT!!!!! First I apply foundation to face. Then, sprinkle a little Neutral Set into my hand. And dust onto face with a Japonesque blush brush under eyes, down nose, chin, around cheek line, and over eyes. Will sometimes dust on forehead if oily too. Removes shine. Helps control oil. Set foundation/concealer and other cream color w/o depositing any additional color. Does not cover highlighter, contouring, etc. Just leaves a natural, picture perfect finish. But if you apply too much or worried it looks white or ashy, just dust a little colored powder over it. Very affordable. $6 bucks for 3oz shaker bottle. Bottle will last for ever & ever. For reference, I'm an DDD-AAB(NW45 or Loreal HIP #818). continued >>

on 11/29/2013 8:15:00 AM

This is a good powder. It performs as well as higher-end products, and for significantly less money! It's a bit hard to come by, unfortunately but theatrical products shops should stock it. I've used a number of expensive powders in the past, including Giorgio Armani (loved it, though it had a slightly shiny finish), Becca (very good, great shades), Dior (very good) and Chanel (did not like it as it darkened my makeup and was too peachy). This is just neutral and translucent - no colour, no coverage. I like having one powder that is simply sheer. Will update regarding how it performs (oil control etc.).

P.S. Some reviewers are concerned about parabens; actually, the Chanel powder also has these - I would guess all powders do, since they are very common preservatives. They are present in infinitesimally small amounts in skincare, and I seriously would not worry about them. Skincare and cosmetics do not absorb through your skin anyway. (According to Paula Begoun, "In-vivo testing demonstrated parabens [in skincare were] 10,000 times weaker than naturally occurring phytoestrogens, such as those found in the foods and medicines we consume every day.")

on 4/19/2012 11:41:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Warm

I can't believe how long it took me to discover this product and now that I've used it, how can I ever live without it! I'm NC42 and have used for years MAC, Clinique, Estee Lauder, MUFE and just recently purchased Chanel and all were absolutely useless in controlling my oil and terrible to take pictures with. You can use the crappiest foundation but use this powder to set and it will erase all the flaws. It literally leaves a lightweight feel and airbrushed look similar to MUFE HD powder but absolutely no whitecast whatsover! I was skeptical at first but I've taken a million pics in every light possible and it's just perfect. I also use this to dust over my eye primer and it sets no creasing at all. I'm overwhelmed at how amazing this product I tell everyone to purchase this ASAP. And it is so affordable I just can't bear to purchase anything else. The packaging is terrible but my unused Chanel powder top is currently being used to swirl and tap this product on.

on 11/11/2011 6:55:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

I bought the little .9 ounce "salt shaker" canister of this powder to try out. So far, so good. I have only used it for a few days as a foundation setting light dusting of powder after my make up application is finished. It does what it is supposed to do and it does it very very well. The powder is white but goes on with no visible color or color change to my foundation/blush. I have somewhat dry skin and it is mature skin too and I do not have any settling into fine lines or caking. I use very little on my big brush and just fluff it on. I use a little soft eyeshadow brush to pat a bit of the product onto my undereye concealer. Works well there too. There is no luminosity or glow or sparkle here, just a good job at setting and keeping set my foundation for hours. It is very finely milled. I have long been a fan of the T.Leclerc powders and this one is just as nice in my opinion. Of course, it is talc instead of rice powder. Dirt cheap too. The little canister is not sexy looking or especially easy to use. I, so far, have just been shaking a bit in my palm and dipping my brush in and then taping the brush a time or two to distribute the powder into the brush. If I ever use up .9 ounces, I will certainly buy it again.

on 7/18/2013 8:22:00 PM

Thank you MUA!! NC 25/30 here. I was all set to splurge on Nars light reflecting powder, but decided to look here for a cheaper alternative (setting powders and mascara are two things that I don't like to spend much money on). I'm not saying that this is a dupe of Nars' (and this isn't a comparison review, but I honestly couldn't tell the difference between the two on my face, other than maybe, just maybe the Nars is a bit more brightening??). Anyhow, very impressed by this product. It does everything I want a setting powder to do, and a bit more. It's extremely finely milled, and can go up against any expensive face powder, is not cakey or powdery and looks like nothing on, except that my face looks more "finished" and my skin just a bit nicer. It may initially lighten my face by a tiny fraction, though all face powders seem to do that to me. I got the translucent one/which looks white but fear not, it really is translucent. I have slightly oily skin, and this lasts me at least 4-5 hours, though frankly looking a bit "dewy" by the end of the day doesn't bother me much (I just use blotting sheets if necessary). Not sure how this would work on very oily skin, but I think that if you have normal/dry or normal/oily skin, you'll be happy with this. I got this at a costume shop which has a smattering of stage makeup, though you can easily find it online. Still dirt cheap even including shipping cost (about $6-8 for 1.75 oz -- about 5 times the size of department store loose powders--usually about .33 oz or less). Everyone else has talked about the lousy packaging... I will just transfer it to one of my nice empty powder boxes. In short, highly recommended.

PS--a few people here mentioned that it has parabens...I haven't bothered to check but thought I should mention.

on 2/10/2007 5:59:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Fine

HG powder. Forget MAC's Blot Powder, or DDF's powder... this is THE ONE. For the first time, I went out of the house at 6am, came back at midnite, and my makeup was still on, without having looked cakey or chalky when i left.. it is FANTASTIC! When I'm going out to the club, I use this to ensure that when I get down, my makeup doesnt streak and get eaten up by my face..
The only minus is the packaging (the shaker bottle), but i just use the top of my other powder containers and I'm fine.. Seriously, $4 for a 4.3oz life saver is PEANUTS! I will never stray! I bought it online for a total cost of $5 from some theater supplies site.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

This powder is AM-AZ-ING! I have had problems controlling my everyday oiliness, which has really been a pain, as foundation only lasted about 4/5 hrs before creasing etc.
This powder keeps my skin matte for at least 8 hrs+, which is a small miracle for my skin. Packaging isn't pretty, but I just pour some into an old lid and then use my brush/velour puff to apply. Doesn't dry my skin out and never effects the color of my other make-up, goes on transparent. It is totally water resistant, sweat and tear proof!
I paid 9 inc. P&P which for the amount and quality is very good, overall I would highly recommend this, def. HG powder!
UPDATE: I just have to say how much I am loving this powder, even on bad skin days, after applying this my face looks so much better. Really refined and smooth. Great stuff!

on 3/3/2015 11:02:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

This powder is excellent at setting foundation, causes no pattchy dry bits and does not effect your foundation colour at all (so long as you don't use too much). Yet somehow it creates a sort of flawless look. Can be used for subtle contouring in areas you want to highlight but not wanting to look greasy (forehead etc). Use quite a dense brush and deliberately pat on too much powder, leave for a bit then gently brush off excess. Nice and cheep too. Lovely.

HOWEVER if you have acne you really can't us this everyday. It's okay for nights out or special occasions but will brake you out if you use it everyday. So sad cause it's really beautiful.