Parfums Delrae- Bois de Paradis

3.8

on 8/17/2014 9:57:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine

Gorgeous light resin. Really lovely. The rose, citrus and fruit notes go completely unnoticed. In larger concentration, there is a background of faint spiced fruit and delicate floral. Lovely

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

All cinnamon, sandalwood, vanilla, and amber...then, at the 5 minute mark- Surprise! A blast of spearmint. I actually had to doublecheck to see if I was wearing minty lip balm or had gotten some toothpaste on me. It actually made my skin tingle a bit where I had applied just the tiniest dab. After another 2 or 3 minutes the mint blends in with the spice accord, in a very pleasant and way. At 15 minutes the composition finally harmonizes and a vanilla-tonka-cinnamon persists.

This perfume is obviously made with top notch ingredients, especially in the fixatives (my achilles heel!) Hence, it is outrageously potent.

I could not detect blueberry in the least, maybe it is just a smidgen to brighten up the amber accord? As a matter of fact, I couldn't find any fruit or flowers at all.

This is gourmand in the weirdest way ever. I give it a thumbs up for managing to combine some bizarre accords in an agreeable manner.

To Read all 55 Reviews, Login or Join

on 5/13/2010 1:21:00 PM

Not love at first sniff. The first time I tested this I wasn't impressed, sure it was beautiful but the sweet woods seemed too much. I found out the hard way this fragrance needs a light hand. I'm very happy I tried it again- because each time I wore it I liked it a bit more. And then one day while wearing Bois de Paradis I was baking pie and I couldn't tell the difference between the smell from the oven and the smell of my skin. That experience sealed the deal for me. I won't be buying a bottle until the leaves fall; I could imagine summer heat making this scent unbearable. But in the cooler months this will be it for me. It reminds me of fire places and rich food, a glorious winter scent.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

Please sample this before buying! I have a penchant for strong fragrances but one spritz of this made my stomach turn and gave me a powerful migraine. Heavy, woody and incredibly cloyingly sweet. On me it smells like raisins, old cinnamon gum and hamster bedding. Raid smells better than this.

on 4/12/2010 3:19:00 AM

Man I love this stuff: smells like good wood and cinnamon tea... kinda like an orchestral concert in progress. It's got more throw than Babe Ruth, though, so no one else likes it on me. Oh well.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I find this scent complex and addictive & it's not too sweet at all w/my chemistry. A must try if you're a woods lover. This does not smell like anything else I've tried (and I've tried A LOT). Would love to try the body cream too. All Delrae's scents are really very nice but this is definitely my personal fave.

on 1/27/2010 5:46:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Oh,no,this is terrible smell,so sour on my skin.I dont like it,and dont understand how this can be so expensive.This is truly cheap smelly perfume which I smelt many times in drugstore.Nothing special or unique.Dissapointed.Please sample before you buy.

on 7/11/2009 11:14:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

YUCK!! Paradise?? This is the first real scrubber for me and I`ve had loads of fragrances on my skin. It actually kind of reminded me of someone being sick.. (sorry...). This smells so dead without a hint of freshness. Terrible fragrance on me.

Stewed apples and raspberries cooked over an outdoor woodfire, to be served sprinkled with fresh, pink rose petals and a glass of mead---that's what "Bois des Paradis" conjures up for me. It also has a special note of freshness that evokes early morning, when night dew is still drying in the sun. However, this freshness is a tiny piece of the "Bois des Paradis" story, which quickly simmers down and enters the spicy, syrupy, cured fruits realm and stays there for the entire visit. To me, "Bois des Paradis" is reminiscent of the quails in rose-petal sauce scene (in the book, the recipe) of "Like Water for Chocolate"; simmered flower petals and spices---both sweet and savory, an underlying carnality, all served up with fresh rose petals on top and a dusting of nuts. A vital kind of scent. At times, a tad overcooked."Bois des Paradis" would've benefitted from an astringent or green kick---the tiniest dash (or, the tiniest dash more) of benzoin, camphor or cypress would've balanced it out. It's certainly a very pretty fragrance and I'm not surprised that it has so many fans. However, it reminds me of a less soapy version of "Eau Suave" by Parfums D'Empire or a denser version of Bvlgari's "Rose Essentialle", both more affordable options. Here, I'll twist an old adage to suit: "With great prices comes great accountability". I'm left feeling like Parfums DelRae still needs to justify the price of this fragrance, which isn't something I'm often inclined to do.

***Update*** Who was I fooling--this is totally worth every penny of DelRae's asking price; it posseses you unawares, a fairy-tale spell for the "woodland-rose" obsessed. It's luscious, like petal-steeped flower oils and actual fresh air----brisk, windy ozone mixed with multiple countryside molecules and the closest thing to fresh, pink rose petals without the soap, to the actual things themselves (some may even find it shames shabbier varieties, with its idealistic take on the fresh, sun-touched rose). It's every summer morning, like those exciting ones of childhood, before a great "adventure". Wear this in, give it multiple attempts to develop and leave a mark. You'll get a better feel for its initially strange combination of wood chips, prunes and apple-touched roses (perhaps some of the same pommarose essence found in "DKNY Be Delicious" or Furaneol acetate is part of this potion?). Before you know it, "Bois de Paradis" will have latched on to your mamalian brain; you'll find yourself craving its expansive, lush, real-life freshness against other more insipid, astringent versions of rose. Rose and spice-lovers, brace your wallets----this is another one in the budget bracket of "glorious diaster" but you'll feel totally satsfied, like a fiend, with every spritz.

on 5/10/2009 12:43:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Medium

When I wear this fragrance I feel like I am walking through the Blumeninsel Mainau (Flower Island in Mainau, Bavaria) when all the florals are blooming. Ohhhh - I love this so much. The fragrance pampers my little floral loving soul so beautifully and gives it exactly what is wants and need. This fragrance brings a big smile to my face everytime I apply it. Pure sunshine and love. I purchased a sample of this some time ago and now that it is gone I had to order the full bottle immediately! Great thanks to all the lovely ladies on the fragrance board who recommended this to me.

The ingredience in this fragrance are so well balanced that they do not overpower but helps to harmonize and bring out the best of each other. I absolutely love the woody note which is always present to make the florals richer and sweeter. For those of you who found Amoureuse to be too sweet or overpowering but love florals, give this one a try.

Bois de Paradis Notes
Citrus, French rose, blackberry, fig, spices, woods, and amber

Popular Fragrances