MAC Cosmetics #217 Blending

4.7

my father's nostril hairs

on 12/19/2017 7:40:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Cool

I have two MAC 217's, they are over 5 years old and they are in excellent condition. They perform beautifully after all these years of near-daily use and countless cleanings. The are not scratchy and they don't irritate my highly allergic, very sensitive eyes. I use a very gentle , non-alxohol, fragrance free cleaner; sometimes ill dry them with a brush cover on to keep their shape, but I've let them just plain air-dry (no shape-covers) and they have kept their shapes and textures perfectly. They pick up product beautifully, handle beautifully, and when I am on autopilot these are what end up in my hands.
Am a makeup brush hoarder (it's an illness 😜😆). I've had to try many different brands and types due to extreme eye sensitivity.. and due to performance issues. I've tried all sorts of dupes for the 217, thinking that if I found the perfect dupe I would save wear & tear on my 217s and have them forever primo! I bought 3 Coastal scents dupes 3 years ago, and they were phenomenal in shape, texture and performance-- when I ordered more for gifts, the CS brushes were cut very poorly and couldn't even perform. Haphazard batches I guess. I have 4 dupes by Crown Brush, which are cut well, have a wonderful texture & perform well--but they aren't the exact shape of the 217, which always does me right! The Crown Syntho line is excellent. But, the MAC 217 reigns supreme as my FAV eye brush! A guaranteed performer!
Am heartbroken these have been discontinued! Yes, they are too expensive. But they are an investment. If eye makeup is your thing, these are WORTH every penny.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Buy it!
Having the right brushes really transforms your makeup look and you can blend to perfection. My brush has lasted me a whole year. It picks up a good amount of product. This is my go to brush and to be honest is really the only brush I use. Yes I understand that investing in this brush can leave you questioning to buy it but I do recommend.
The reason I gave a lower packaging score is due to it being given in a plastic wrapper and not a box or something, but then again it is a brush.
So if you are pondering, take it from me and buy it. Plus I love cleaning it because it goes really poofy.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

I don't understand the hype about this brush. Is too poorly made compare to my Bobbi Brown's.
The shape is perfect, and it's nicely soft and firm at the same time, but the brush doesn't hold it's shape for long, the hair start to fluff.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Sorry, I know you all love the #217, but I hate this brush. It's so very scratchy and way too stiff. I don't feel that it blended very well, albeit this was probably due the scratch factor.

I actually prefer a drugstore brush- Soho Get a Grip Crease Brush or for tight spots Revlon's Contour Shadow Brush (discontinued).

If you like a firm brush this is probably for you.

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

To date, the best brush I have ever owned. I used it for the first time this morning and it made blending as easy as you can get using a makeup brush. It's really hard to mess up your eyeshadow using this brush and I'm as clumsy as you can get at applying eyeshadow. Only con is the price. I mean is it really necessary that any eyeshadow brush be that much unless it's made of pure gold? They can charge that price though because it's the best eyeshadow brush out there and they know people will continue to buy out.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

If I could only have 1 eye brush in my collection it would hands down be the Mac 217. I personally own 5 of them and will probably buy more. I bought my first 217 6 years ago and it still preforms like it did then. Since this is has natural goat hairs it could be used for powder, creams and liquids. Some of the ways I use the 217 are 1. Applying a wash of color from lash line to brow bone. 2. Packing color on the lid 3. Applying color to my crease 4. All over blending 5. Applying cream bases 6. Blending in concealer under my eues 7. Applying a light nose contour. I could serious go on and on about different ways to use this. You could apply a light wash or really pack on the color. I don't mind paying $24. because it is worth every penny and you will get your money's worth Plus. I get why people might say the E25 is a dupe, but I own both and while they are similar they are not Dupes. The E25 is $14 but It will not last and perform as long as the 217. E25 is slightly more pinched at the tip and not as dence. I would recommend to anyone to buy tbsp 217 over any dupe out there.

on 3/22/2015 12:14:00 PM

I`ve tried a couple of blending brushes which I`ve hated and loved to varied degrees. The MAC 217 is by far the best. It blends both powders and creams really well, I mean, I haven`t really started doing make up until 2 years ago and I am not really skilled, but this brush does the work for me. I think it`s the way it is tapered and the texture of the hair because I haven`t been able to achieve effects as good with any other brush.

on 2/21/2015 3:55:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm

I have stupidly tried to dupe this brush to no avail. This was the brush that really go me into trying new make up looks. I used to have the hardest time blending and i ended up looking like a hot mess! This brush is a game changer and is WELL worth the price. A staple for every make up collection!

on 11/6/2014 2:13:00 AM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

As many before me have said, this brush totally changed up my eyeshadow game. I was able to blend before but never with such precision and perfectly gradient edges between shadow and skin. If I could justify it, I would purchase a couple more of these so I could switch between color families more quickly.

Pros:
* perfect size for blending all over the eye
* you can see the amount of product picked up very clearly
* gives an 'airbrushed' finish to eyeshadow edges
* durable (been washed and spot cleaned regularly)
* aesthetically pleasing
* easy to use

Cons:
* needs frequent cleaning (unless you have multiple)
* a slight bit scratchier on the lids than I imagined it would be

on 7/5/2014 5:29:00 PM

This brush is just the best! I've had it for about two years and it works just as great as when I first got it. It makes applying and blending eyeshadow a breeze. Idk how I did my eyeshadow without this for so long. It's worth every single penny. I also have the 224 and this is sooo much better. I don't I will ever buy another blending brush. Buy it you won't regret it.

Video Reviews & Tutorials