MAC Cosmetics #217 Blending

4.7

my father's nostril hairs

on 7/22/2016 2:58:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

This brush is very good and deserves its cult status for the most part...but there are a lot of dupes out there that cost less. It's great for crease work and blends wonderfully. It is better than my fav dupe the Morphe M433.

I do have a soft spot for this brush but truthfully the Morphe M433 is close and less than 1/4 the price.

on 4/4/2016 4:12:00 PM

Wow-"game changer" was mentioned in a previous review and that sums it up! I could never get my shadow to look right (natural) until I picked up this gem. I'm using this with UD Darkhorse and my small brown eyes finally look way bigger! I will be picking up a backup, because I'm a hoarder for MU items that actually work...

on 9/23/2015 5:45:00 PM

I first saw Lisa Eldridge use this brush. Actually, I don't think she does a tutorial without it. So finally I caved and bought it a few years ago. I absolutely love it, and decided I needed more of them, but I couldn't justify spending $25 each for 2 more, so I bought the Sigma E25 (they are normally $14 each but I got them on sale). Yes, I do notice a difference between the MAC and Sigma brushes, and I can always pick out my MAC 217 without seeing the name on the handle. I use it for applying concealer and powder under my eyes and for blending eyeshadow. It's just a great brush.

on 8/19/2015 8:39:00 AM

Received this as a gift as this is too expensive to buy.

Wow, this is the only time I'd say this--> "Expensive=Quality"

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

You're either a 224 fan or a 217 fan, I am a 224 girl. I've bought and returned this several times over the years, mostly because they have all been scratchy, and I found them too big. But I decided to give it one more try (mostly because it's such a classic, I have to have one) and sifted through the glass beaker at Nordy's, to find one that was a little more tapered and to make sure it was soft. Even though it's more tapered, it still would be difficult to deposit color in my crease with it, but I'll keep working with it. I use this mostly for softening the edges and overall wash and then the 224 for blending out the crease. I also have the Hakuhodo J5523, and yes, it is a bit softer, but I find that more of a hindrance than a help. My 217 is pleny soft and seems more functional. However, if I could only have one brush, it would be the 224, but I'm warming up to this one, and for the first time, won't be returning it.

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

This deserves all the raves, imo..

Feels great using it. Applies shadow like a dream...Not a whole lot more to say..?? haha..

I will say though that I believe in using a quality shadow brush for your eyes. I might skimp on a face brush now and then, but to me, it is important and smart to use and invest in a good quality eye brush. Too many times brushes shed and getting those bristles in the eyes is not good for your eyes, plus it can mess up your makeup application that you might have already built up. So to me this is 'worth it'.

Will re-purchase and recommend.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

I haven't bought MAC makeup brushes since the early '90s when I purchased several of them and they have lasted me since then. (of course taking care of them helps with longevity)
After reading so many rave reviews about the #217 blending brush I had to check it out. It reminds me of the old #36 brush but the #217 is smaller and not as oval shaped as the #36. (does anyone else remember the #36 brush?)

The SA gave me a demo with the #217 brush and I was hooked. I loved how the shadow went on beautifully and evenly on my lids. The size is perfect for my lid space too.
I've never gotten a duplicate or backup of the same makeup brush but the #217 is an exception and I ended up getting another one as I know I will be using them regularly.

One small gripe: After washing, I find that it can splay a little. Other than that, it's perfect.

on 6/9/2014 1:14:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

When writing this review there were 911 reviews which tells me this brush is popular! I love love this brush so much and was one of the first ever Mac brushes I bought. I own 5 of these brushes and use them for so much. I use them for applying colour on the lid (not just the Mac 239), applying colour in the crease (not just the Mac 224) fantastic for highlighting the cheek bones. Just a smidge of Mac Vanilla pigment using this brush looks fab. Never had any shedding with this brush and washes up a treat.

on 5/16/2014 8:11:00 PM

Now I know what all the hype on this brush is about. It lives up to everything I've read and more.

I had been quite content with my 20yr. old crease brush (brand unknown) to apply shadow to my crease and an ecoTools eye brush to blend when needed but when the kids asked me what I wanted for Mother's Day, I decided it was the best time to try out a more expensive blending brush. I narrowed it down to the It Cosmetics "No‑Tug" Heavenly Luxe Dual Eyeshadow Brush and the MAC #217.

As a blending brush, the It Cosmetics No Tug brush won out (hope to write a review on that product later) because it is fuller and much more soft. But after using the #217 instead to apply eyeshadow to my crease area I was absolutely blown away by the results! Even the cheapest ELF eyeshadows go on my 50+ yr old crease area so incredibly smooth leaving the softest and most seamless finish. I realize now what a difference a quality brush makes.

I also think the shape of the #217 makes it extremely versatile. The width of the brush fits perfectly in my crease area and the pointed edge allows application of another transition color below the brow when desired. As I said previously, it isn't the softest brush but there must be something about the goat hair bristles that deposits eyeshadow in the perfect manner.

If I hadn't tried the It No Tug brush, I probably would have been quite happy using the #217 as a blending brush also. But, for me, it really excels in depositing shadow...it does it so well, in fact, that I often don't even have to blend further.

I think this brush would be well worth the $24 especially considering it makes even the cheapest eyeshadows look high end.

UPDATE 5/29/14 - I freaked out when a good many of my 217's bristles splayed after washing it the first time, and even more the second time. No other brush I own has ever done this to me--ELF, EcoTools, Real Techniques, nor my 3 Christian Dior natural hair brushes. I was tempted to return it until I read that this is a common problem with the 217. After making a homemade brush guard, dampening the bristles, and drying overnight, the bristles returned to the original position. Although I may not return it, I'm still deducting a lippie for the aggravation.

I have one very similar to this which is seriously 30 years old. I have been using it more during the past few months and it has been bunching a bit at the base. I decided to buy another one. I can apply all my eyeshadow so quickly with this. It makes me look like a pro. I use the old one to blend at the end and my eyes look very good. It was about $30 Canadian including tax, but if it lasts me half as long as the original it will be worth it!

Video Reviews & Tutorials