Ben Nye Translucent Face Powder - Topaz

4.1

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

I have swatched a variety of Ben Nye powder shades and mistakenly wrote my review for olive sand under this heading Topaz. I have since copied my review under the correct color. since I also have a sample of Topaz which I use in a more limited fashion, Ive kept pertinent comments here. Other reviewers below have referenced the shaker bottle which is the packaging for BN luxury powder; this is my product.

---
I am Asian, combination olive skin, NC 30-35. I use banana as a transluscent setting or finishing powder, but as per the SA, banana would be considered as a highlighting powder or brightening powder. As per SA advice, we selected olive sand as closest to my skin tone. I do have a large sample of Topaz which would be considered a finishing powder for users who have darker complexions. In my case, I use it as a brightening matte bronzing powder in warmer months. Darker bronzers can look dirty on me. Lighter bronzers (like Ulta matte powder in the shade warm could almost be used as finishing powder. So a smaller amount of Topaz serves a function.

Before I started to use Topaz, I sometimes mixed banana with ulta matte bronzer in warm which was cooler in tone than Topaz. Sometimes I mix banana with olive sand which is closest to my skin. I would finish off with Elf matte blush duo in Rosy Flush. It sounds like a lot, but I apply very sparingly with a lot of buffing excess off.

I apply with a big elf kabuki brush. I shake a very small amount into the cap and then press the bristles into it. When I shake off the brush, there is Very little excess product wasted. The amount of powder doesn't cover all bristles. I am too impatient to bake powder, so I merely blend or burnish the brush over my face. The coated bristles get the product on, the naked bristles buff the product out. I have combo skin and am prone to hives and milia. This does not irritate. If you cannot abide talc, mica or corn starch, I suggest you do not buy this.

Note: if you want to dispense less product, I suggest keeping the majority of the stuck protective film on the shaker holes. I only tear off a corner which basically uncovered three holes.

Skin: Normal, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse

Oh, the disappointment! That's what I get for buying into the hype. I loved the quality of the powder and it's finish (initially). You get a ton of product for not too much coin. However, I tried using this powder for baking and my under eyes looked like lined, CREPE paper. I've never had a problem with dry under eyes or visible fine lines until I used this powder. It might be great for oily skin, but it sucked all the moisture out of my under eye. Mind you, I applied the least amount possible and it still looked cakey even with setting spray.

I never pull it out of my Beauty Cube, but when I do it's only to blend out my neckline. This will last you FOREVER, unfortunately, I have no real use for it.

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

I initially purchased banana powder, BIG MISTAKE lol. The powder is fine, just too light.
I got the this loose powder in topaz and it is awesome. I have used this for a variety of things. Under eye highlight, all over face powder. it is awesome

Skin: Dry, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Fine

Loving this powder so far. It's perfect for us medium toned brown girls with yellow/golden undertones. I have this in Banana as well and both work with my C6 skintone, Banana brightens and evens me out, while Topaz adds a warmth and a glow without being orange or muddy. These powders are great for setting makeup and they're relatively inexpensive too. My only complaint is that I wish they were more travel friendly and user friendly, I always make such a mess with the the shaker bottles/jars with the holes no matter how careful I try to be.

Skin: Normal, Dark, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Other, Medium

I'm always on the hunt for setting powders .this one is my hg I use it to set my foundation Lancme m cushion w500 I dnt hv to touch up it handles my t zone bye bye Mac blot powder plus it is cheap hate the packaging but I just poured it n my empty Clinique jar pure heaven

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

blind buy stuff. i was afraid banana powder might be scarily too yellow for me so i searched for another colour. this one on the website is the lightest creme shade, in my mind it would be a perfect match for my skin tone.
i got really surprised when it arrived. its so dark and soooo orange. i tried it all over my face and YES it was wayyyyy too orange, just like tanning went wrong.
i tested it for the whole day let it sit on my face. after half hour+, by time it started to blend with my skintone. oil control is also better than the banana powder.
my conclusion : its not bad but also not my fave. i rarely reach this, but i do using this from time to time. it suits darker ladies out there.

Skin: Combination, Dark, Cool

Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse

I'm DDD with yellow & red undertones(NW45/NC50 or HIP820). I prefer to wear foundation that's a perfect match for my complexion and top with translucent powder. I have used BenNye neutral set for some time now. But wanted to try a translucent with a slight bit of color. Topaz has a firey-gold or amber tint to it. Which BTW, is a difficult shade to find. Similar shade as Iman Oil Blotting Powder in 'Light/Medium'. Perfect lightweight translucent powder for most medium to deep ethnic skintones. I use as a hightlight powder or dust all over face to remove shine w/o adding too much color. On par with all BN powders. Cost $8 for 3.5 oz shaker jar at local theatre supply store. continued >>

Skin: Normal, Dark, Not Sure

This is the perfect matte, loose setting powder for those with yellow or golden undertones.
On my NC50 skin, it leaves a minimal but noticeable amount of 24k-like color without any shine or shimmer, unlike the Banana Powder which completely disappears over foundation and can sometimes look pasty. It gives a natural but polished effect that lasts for most of the day. I touch up once in the late afternoon and that's it. Wish it came in a compact! Budget friendly, and a definite repurchase.

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

After the rave reviews on here, I ordered this product online. That turned out to be the main problem and why I did not rate this as high as I would have liked. Being that it's not easy to find this product anywhere but online, you have to go by the little color swatches they show you in order to determine the color. Which is completely inaccurate. I picked Topaz, as the lighter colors seemed to pale or pink for me. When it arrived, one look at the bottle and I knew this color would NOT be for me. Yup, I was orange. I was even more dismayed to find out that I couldn't exchange this product for another shade. So don't purchase from funhousetheatrical.com unless you know exactly what you need. Really disappointed because I wanted to like this powder, especially at the price.

Skin: Oily, Dark, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

Very happy to have found this powder. Have been on the hunt for a good foundation match since my previous product was discontinued, and as you can imagine, I have several failures at home. This powder has fixed that. It gives a smooth, translucent finish that controls oil for a litle while which surprised me (i.e., when I wear it I don't have to powder by the time I get to work) and corrects the overly red tones in many foundations geared toward women of color. The price for the product is amazing and I just can't believe this product has been around all this time and I have come across it, but I am glad I did. When I run out of this and the cheapie foundations I will pleasantly hunt through the many colors Ben Nye produces for the next holy grail.