OPI Malaga Wine

Filtered by skin tone : Medium
OPI Malaga Wine

4.9

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Cool

The Malaga Wine appears as a deep, wine red on my nails that flaunts itself on my fingers. The brush makes it easy to apply, and the consistency is sufficiently thick to go on evenly, and watery enough that it is easy to apply. The intensity of its colour is breathtaking, and its effect is elegant and mysterious. This is my to-go colour when I feel like being dark and bold.

on 9/28/2017 3:48:00 AM

This is a nice burgundy shade, perfect for fall. The lacquer finish looks so polished and classy. The shiny lacquer reflects so much light just like mirror!!! Its gorgeous.I would def wear this for Halloween parties!

I'm glad i tried it.. this shade seemed soo popular.. but i felt it was too dark and vampish for my liking. I was looking for sthg more maroon/deep red.

Good thing-OPI lasts and lasts, no chipping for 2 weeks.

Recommend
Yes, Fall is here

on 3/31/2016 5:09:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

Classic red creme, but on the cool side. Note: If you want something warm, maybe a touch dusty or subdued, but still have all the depth and allure of Malaga Wine, I included my alternative suggestions further down, too. If you want something that looks "wine" in all lights, get We the Female, from the Washington DC collection. You won't be disappointed.

Here's a picture (under a skylight) of some other popular OPI reds, so you can see the differences:
Full Size Image

Update Jan 2017: It's not as severe as I originally thought, so maybe I'm too critical of this popular shade.

I bet this color looks great on olive skin, so keep in mind this shade is very cool. Oh, and it changes color soooo much. In sun, cute cherry red. Indoors, it varies, and can go all the way to a dark wine/maroon color.

Application was great. Creamy, perfect. But removal was a nightmare. I have never had such a messy, staining episode. Nails, cuticles, tons of remover and cotton. Not worth it, but tried wearing this color twice, just to be sure.

So, if you are warm like me.... Lost on Lombard is my perfect flattering dark red, and First Date at the Golden Gate is another great red color on warm skin. The first time I tried Malaga, I wore it for a few hours, trying to like it (I mean, look at all the great reviews!) but later on took it off and put on Lombard. I literally felt relieved to see the appropriate warm brick red, and how it complements my skintone so nicely. I like First Date a lot, too. So much I bought backups of both, and wear them year round. They are both brown based and earthy, not screaming red. Very appropriate and classy, too.

These are great for warm and cool tones:
Miami Beet is a great wine-berry red, perfect creamy formula, opaque in 2 coats. It even looks good on warm skin, doesn't stain, and looks good with everything in your wardrobe. I wrote a review on it, if you want to see more.

We the Female (see picture above), from the Washington collection. What a great color! I would call it a marsala (a difficult color to describe: but think... a dusty red/wine/dark berry/brownish color) then this is your color. It does not stain, and it does not change color radically the way Malaga Wine does. It's a very flattering wine color, even on warm skin tones. I reviewed it, too if you want to read that.

on 12/13/2015 11:32:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

Such an intense shade of dark blood red, I absolutely love it. It quickly makes your fingers stand out and I love wearing my pearl ring to make a contrast with the colour of the nail polish. Elegant and sophisticated but also very wearable, OPI has nailes the perfect winter shade in a perfect formula.

One of my absolute favorite shades from OPI. It's a beautiful red color that's not too red and is quite complementary to many skin tones. I'm constantly asked what color this is when I wear it. Definitely a color anyone can wear.

Skin: Very Dry, Medium, Not Sure

Love it. Elegant and sensual and just lovely for fall and winter.

on 1/15/2014 6:05:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

This is the first OPI polish that I've tried and I love it! It makes me feel like licking it lol. Because it's the same colour as some cherry lollipops I used to eat. I only put on one coat because 2 coats makes it too dark for my taste, with one coat it's already opaque, but the colour is lighter. It's the longest lasting nail polish that I have, most nail polishes don't even last 2 days on me. I've had it on now for 4 days and no chipping, I'm going to keep it on until it chips but it looks GREAT at this moment! I'm definitely going to try more OPI polishes.

on 11/5/2013 10:45:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

Malaga Wine is a versatile, fairly unique shade of red. It's a neutral toned red, so it's not orange-y or too purplish. Depending on the light, it's a cherry red (in sunlight) or a crimson/wine shade (indoors/dim light)- it falls somewhere in between under indoor light. This quality alone makes this one of my favorite shades of red, since it's flattering for all seasons. I also love that it's a cream, easy to apply color that doesn't streak; I apply two coats over a base coat and finish with a top coat. I tend to mostly wear it fall/winter, and usually opt for brighter colors in the summer. I have NC 35 skin tone, and Malaga Wine looks great on me. Since it doesn't lean on one end or the other on the red color-spectrum, it's a happy medium that I think would flatter all but the darker skin tones (which would probably look better with lighter and brighter polishes). I'd say if you have fair to medium/tan skin, you'll probably like Malaga Wine. It's a beautiful, classy OPI red.

on 9/10/2011 1:35:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

LOVE this nail polish!
To me this is more of a fall/winter nail polish, since this comes in the darker end of the red polish spectrum.
This wine red color looks beautiful on my NC30skin (asian, yellow toned).
I am an absolute sucker for red polishes. I wear nothing BUT red polishes. And this is definitely one of my faves for the cooler months when I do not feel like going bright nor orangey-red with my red polish. Once again, LOVE.

great colour( a deep cool toned red!), great texture, great pay-off (2 coats and you're ready to go!) it's the best choice for super-duper glossy nails lovers!!!

Popular Polishes