OPI Malaga Wine

Filtered by hair type : Wavy
OPI Malaga Wine

4.7

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Cool

The Malaga Wine appears as a deep, wine red on my nails that flaunts itself on my fingers. The brush makes it easy to apply, and the consistency is sufficiently thick to go on evenly, and watery enough that it is easy to apply. The intensity of its colour is breathtaking, and its effect is elegant and mysterious. This is my to-go colour when I feel like being dark and bold.

on 10/13/2017 1:22:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

I am an artist and looking at my fingers this looks almost exactly like Quinacridone Magenta (oil paint) in the tube. A very deep rich magenta red. I don't think it's a color that photographs well but it dries exactly the color in the bottle. This is a color that feels like "boss bitch" in a don't mess-with-me kind of way. Dominatrix Red.

I found this polish really easy to work with. I was able to manipulate the polish on the nail for more strokes than usual. And for me I had almost perfect coverage in a single coat. It's a classic creme formula it wasn't super shiny on it's own so I put a top coat on and it's immaculate.

on 10/9/2017 7:37:00 PM

Fabulous color for fall. A really deep wine-red almost burgundy. I read on here a while ago that Princess Di wore this polish.. so of course I had to try it, & im obsessed with this color. My daughter said it looks like I painted my nails with blood haha. Opi polish has the best formula, hands down.

on 9/28/2017 3:48:00 AM

This is a nice burgundy shade, perfect for fall. The lacquer finish looks so polished and classy. The shiny lacquer reflects so much light just like mirror!!! Its gorgeous.I would def wear this for Halloween parties!

I'm glad i tried it.. this shade seemed soo popular.. but i felt it was too dark and vampish for my liking. I was looking for sthg more maroon/deep red.

Good thing-OPI lasts and lasts, no chipping for 2 weeks.

Recommend
Yes, Fall is here

on 10/6/2016 4:43:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I found this and Russian Navy in a sale bin at my local drugstore. I figured what did I have to lose for $3.99. Well, on my fair complexion this is the most lovely deep warm red. No shimmer, very creamy, no cool tones and no chipping. I have passed on this one for many years assuming the color would be boring but to my surprise this is very elegant and perfect for autumn and the deep burgundy lip color trend. If your cool toned don't hesitate to try this.

on 3/31/2016 5:09:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

Classic red creme, but on the cool side. Note: If you want something warm, maybe a touch dusty or subdued, but still have all the depth and allure of Malaga Wine, I included my alternative suggestions further down, too. If you want something that looks "wine" in all lights, get We the Female, from the Washington DC collection. You won't be disappointed.

Here's a picture (under a skylight) of some other popular OPI reds, so you can see the differences:
Full Size Image

Update Jan 2017: It's not as severe as I originally thought, so maybe I'm too critical of this popular shade.

I bet this color looks great on olive skin, so keep in mind this shade is very cool. Oh, and it changes color soooo much. In sun, cute cherry red. Indoors, it varies, and can go all the way to a dark wine/maroon color.

Application was great. Creamy, perfect. But removal was a nightmare. I have never had such a messy, staining episode. Nails, cuticles, tons of remover and cotton. Not worth it, but tried wearing this color twice, just to be sure.

So, if you are warm like me.... Lost on Lombard is my perfect flattering dark red, and First Date at the Golden Gate is another great red color on warm skin. The first time I tried Malaga, I wore it for a few hours, trying to like it (I mean, look at all the great reviews!) but later on took it off and put on Lombard. I literally felt relieved to see the appropriate warm brick red, and how it complements my skintone so nicely. I like First Date a lot, too. So much I bought backups of both, and wear them year round. They are both brown based and earthy, not screaming red. Very appropriate and classy, too.

These are great for warm and cool tones:
Miami Beet is a great wine-berry red, perfect creamy formula, opaque in 2 coats. It even looks good on warm skin, doesn't stain, and looks good with everything in your wardrobe. I wrote a review on it, if you want to see more.

We the Female (see picture above), from the Washington collection. What a great color! I would call it a marsala (a difficult color to describe: but think... a dusty red/wine/dark berry/brownish color) then this is your color. It does not stain, and it does not change color radically the way Malaga Wine does. It's a very flattering wine color, even on warm skin tones. I reviewed it, too if you want to read that.

on 12/13/2015 11:32:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

Such an intense shade of dark blood red, I absolutely love it. It quickly makes your fingers stand out and I love wearing my pearl ring to make a contrast with the colour of the nail polish. Elegant and sophisticated but also very wearable, OPI has nailes the perfect winter shade in a perfect formula.

Skin: Very Dry, Medium, Not Sure

Love it. Elegant and sensual and just lovely for fall and winter.

on 5/2/2015 2:57:00 PM

Can't believe I've never stumbled across this gem before. Dark blue-red wine colored and perfect non-streaky and even application. Looks even better on than in the bottle, one of the best reds I've ever seen. Really fantastic in all regards. Trust the raves here and look for this one - it's so perfect.

on 1/15/2014 6:05:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

This is the first OPI polish that I've tried and I love it! It makes me feel like licking it lol. Because it's the same colour as some cherry lollipops I used to eat. I only put on one coat because 2 coats makes it too dark for my taste, with one coat it's already opaque, but the colour is lighter. It's the longest lasting nail polish that I have, most nail polishes don't even last 2 days on me. I've had it on now for 4 days and no chipping, I'm going to keep it on until it chips but it looks GREAT at this moment! I'm definitely going to try more OPI polishes.

Popular Polishes