OPI Malaga Wine

OPI Malaga Wine

4.7

on 10/13/2017 1:22:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

I am an artist and looking at my fingers this looks almost exactly like Quinacridone Magenta (oil paint) in the tube. A very deep rich magenta red. I don't think it's a color that photographs well but it dries exactly the color in the bottle. This is a color that feels like "boss bitch" in a don't mess-with-me kind of way. Dominatrix Red.

I found this polish really easy to work with. I was able to manipulate the polish on the nail for more strokes than usual. And for me I had almost perfect coverage in a single coat. It's a classic creme formula it wasn't super shiny on it's own so I put a top coat on and it's immaculate.

on 3/31/2016 5:09:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

Classic red creme, but on the cool side. Note: If you want something warm, maybe a touch dusty or subdued, but still have all the depth and allure of Malaga Wine, I included my alternative suggestions further down, too. If you want something that looks "wine" in all lights, get We the Female, from the Washington DC collection. You won't be disappointed.

Here's a picture (under a skylight) of some other popular OPI reds, so you can see the differences:
Full Size Image

Update Jan 2017: It's not as severe as I originally thought, so maybe I'm too critical of this popular shade.

I bet this color looks great on olive skin, so keep in mind this shade is very cool. Oh, and it changes color soooo much. In sun, cute cherry red. Indoors, it varies, and can go all the way to a dark wine/maroon color.

Application was great. Creamy, perfect. But removal was a nightmare. I have never had such a messy, staining episode. Nails, cuticles, tons of remover and cotton. Not worth it, but tried wearing this color twice, just to be sure.

So, if you are warm like me.... Lost on Lombard is my perfect flattering dark red, and First Date at the Golden Gate is another great red color on warm skin. The first time I tried Malaga, I wore it for a few hours, trying to like it (I mean, look at all the great reviews!) but later on took it off and put on Lombard. I literally felt relieved to see the appropriate warm brick red, and how it complements my skintone so nicely. I like First Date a lot, too. So much I bought backups of both, and wear them year round. They are both brown based and earthy, not screaming red. Very appropriate and classy, too.

These are great for warm and cool tones:
Miami Beet is a great wine-berry red, perfect creamy formula, opaque in 2 coats. It even looks good on warm skin, doesn't stain, and looks good with everything in your wardrobe. I wrote a review on it, if you want to see more.

We the Female (see picture above), from the Washington collection. What a great color! I would call it a marsala (a difficult color to describe: but think... a dusty red/wine/dark berry/brownish color) then this is your color. It does not stain, and it does not change color radically the way Malaga Wine does. It's a very flattering wine color, even on warm skin tones. I reviewed it, too if you want to read that.

on 12/13/2015 11:32:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

Such an intense shade of dark blood red, I absolutely love it. It quickly makes your fingers stand out and I love wearing my pearl ring to make a contrast with the colour of the nail polish. Elegant and sophisticated but also very wearable, OPI has nailes the perfect winter shade in a perfect formula.

on 12/25/2013 2:21:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

Everyone compliments me on my nails when I wear Malaga wine. I literally mean everyone. Cashiers, friends coworkers my (male) doctor the list goes on and on. This amount of compliments from people I don't even know goes to show what a unique and flattering wine shade this is. Perfect for fall and winter. If I want to get noticed this is the nail polish to wear.

on 6/3/2013 3:43:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I just tried this product and I love it! I have a hard time buying red nail polishes, because they usually look too pink for my taste, so it was nice to find a red that was actually red! It's not too dark or too light, it's a nice cherry-color red. The bottle was a good price and works well so I plan on rebuying it whenever it is that I need it.

I am obsessed with this color. I have such a hard time finding a red that is flattering on my skin tone. I'm around NW20, probably a little paler this time of year. One thing I find that can be really frustrating with reds is how different they can look depending on the light. Malaga Wine is so gorgeous in any light! It's not too blue but it's not a screaming bright red either. Depending on the light it can have more of a cherry red appearance, or a vampy crimson tint. The only thing with OPI polishes is that the brushes can make for a slightly messy application, I feel like the brush is a bit clumsy. The consistency of this polish was perfect- not too thin or goopy thick and I only needed two coats for the color to look even. I did add a third coat though for a deeper red hue. This is such a classic elegant red. highly recommended!

Another one of my all time favourites! Malaga Wine is a classic rich berry-toned red perfect for any occasion. Goes on smoothly, fully opaque after a second coat. Drying time is decent and it has a gorgeous shine to it. Perfect!

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I have a hard time keeping polish on my finger nails (I teach food and nutrition so my hands are always in water and at home, I'm "the mom" so it's more cooking and water and hand washing and dishes...). So it's not often that I'll go to the trouble of wearing a coloured polish on my fingers but I love Malaga Wine SOOOO much that for this polish, I will make the effort. It looks so elegant on my toes and my fingernails and I like the look so much that I actually make a point of wearing washing up gloves so that my manicure will last! A rich, elegant looking, very sophisticated looking shade. And it actually wears pretty well.

on 2/8/2010 10:58:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

I never thought I could wear red nail polish - they usually look cheap on me. I am fair with yellow undertones and many blue based reds clash. This one seems to have just enough warmth that it works. It is a classic, deep red. Looks good on both fingers and toes, but requires high maintenance!

on 4/22/2009 6:55:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Beautiful rich, dark red. I found this went on like a jelly polish sorta. Application was good.

Popular Polishes