OPI Malaga Wine

OPI Malaga Wine

4.7

if u don't like looking as though u are wearing blood on ur nails then don't get this! i was after a darker red and was made to believe this was the right colour, alas, it was not. no matter how much i layer it, i still won't achieve the desired colour. this is not a cheap product either. sigh sigh.

on 4/25/2013 7:57:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

I was looking for a replacement for my all-time favourite blood-red polish, OPI's St Petersburgundy (which is discontinued, according to the SA) and the SA introduced this. However, when I got home, I realised it's waay too dark for my liking.

It is quite a vampy colour, almost blood-like in natural sunlight. However, it does come off a little plummy in some lights.

If you're those who like a very dark goth-like red, you'd like this. However, it's not for me; haven't even used it twice.

Hair: Brown, Other, Coarse

Applies like a dream, chips like a nightmare! Maybe it’s just my bottle but every single combination of base coat, top coat, thinness or thickness of application, waiting for coats to dry in between, etc. has resulted in major chipping in less than 24 hours. Beautiful color but the frustration is just not worth a repurchase.

on 3/31/2016 5:09:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

Classic red creme, but on the cool side. Note: If you want something warm, maybe a touch dusty or subdued, but still have all the depth and allure of Malaga Wine, I included my alternative suggestions further down, too. If you want something that looks "wine" in all lights, get We the Female, from the Washington DC collection. You won't be disappointed.

Here's a picture (under a skylight) of some other popular OPI reds, so you can see the differences:
Full Size Image

Update Jan 2017: It's not as severe as I originally thought, so maybe I'm too critical of this popular shade.

I bet this color looks great on olive skin, so keep in mind this shade is very cool. Oh, and it changes color soooo much. In sun, cute cherry red. Indoors, it varies, and can go all the way to a dark wine/maroon color.

Application was great. Creamy, perfect. But removal was a nightmare. I have never had such a messy, staining episode. Nails, cuticles, tons of remover and cotton. Not worth it, but tried wearing this color twice, just to be sure.

So, if you are warm like me.... Lost on Lombard is my perfect flattering dark red, and First Date at the Golden Gate is another great red color on warm skin. The first time I tried Malaga, I wore it for a few hours, trying to like it (I mean, look at all the great reviews!) but later on took it off and put on Lombard. I literally felt relieved to see the appropriate warm brick red, and how it complements my skintone so nicely. I like First Date a lot, too. So much I bought backups of both, and wear them year round. They are both brown based and earthy, not screaming red. Very appropriate and classy, too.

These are great for warm and cool tones:
Miami Beet is a great wine-berry red, perfect creamy formula, opaque in 2 coats. It even looks good on warm skin, doesn't stain, and looks good with everything in your wardrobe. I wrote a review on it, if you want to see more.

We the Female (see picture above), from the Washington collection. What a great color! I would call it a marsala (a difficult color to describe: but think... a dusty red/wine/dark berry/brownish color) then this is your color. It does not stain, and it does not change color radically the way Malaga Wine does. It's a very flattering wine color, even on warm skin tones. I reviewed it, too if you want to read that.

on 12/16/2013 10:29:00 PM

This looks darker in the bottle than it applies. I love how it looks on my nails in artificial light/low light situations, but in the sun it looks very tomato red on me, instead of the darker oxblood that I was hoping for. I will be demoting this one to a pedi shade, but it may end up in my swap pile.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

This applies a little streaky, and definitely needs two coats. While the colour is nice, I find I use it really rarely, so would not buy again.

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I realize that this may be an unpopular review, but I'm not crazy about this shade. Here is why: while it is a beautiful, deep shade of wine in certain lighting, when under bright lighting it turns into a screaming bright red. Like, clown red. One of my biggest gripes with red polish is that tendency to look different in different lighting, and this is one of the worst offenders. I think that bright red polish looks garish on pale skin unless it is the *perfect* shade of red (Revlon Valentine comes to mind). Malaga Wine misses the mark for me. That said, it is opaque with 2 coats and I like it on my toes. But I will never again use it on my nails.

on 4/27/2012 10:50:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

This colour is a deep red, verging on the maroon side, probably could be described as a jelly finish. Average formula.

This is a beautiful, sophisticated red. Can be considered work appropriate, non offensive. I'd even consider this for a work interview. The colour to me says confidence, class, someone who wants to look good, who is glossy and knows what they are doing. On even, well groomed nails, this colour will look very chic. Long or short nails, no problem!

Three coats to reasonable opacity, slight visible nail line. Dries to a glossy finish, but after painting I always top it off with a high shine fast drying top coat.

Even though I own several colours similar to this one, I'll always want to have this colour in my collection. If you are going to a smart event and not sure what nail polish to wear, this colour will look appropriate every time.

on 9/23/2010 1:34:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

This is my favorite deep red, but it looks a little too purple on it's own with my coloring so I pour out about a quarter of the bottle and add a brighter, classic red. Also, I don't like the brush OPI uses so I pour it in an Essie bottle. The OPI brush is too wide for me to use without making a mess.

on 3/26/2009 12:44:00 PM

This is the first polish I have picked up from OPI in ages, this one with the ProWide brush and improved formula... And wow! Went on really well, two thin coats and the colour was thick, shiny and smooth - the new brush is fab too!

Sadly though I was not as impressed with the colour, it is a nice deep colour, but.. I have a few other polishes the exact same shade and much cheaper, and I dont wear this shade often, yet seem to always buy it! It is a very dark shade on me.. very brown red on me, rather than the true red that other reviewers have reported, which is a shame because I would have loved it more had it been so!

I was lured into buying it by the sales lady who told me it came out brighter (lesson learnt: only trust MUA, and never, ever listen to a sales person!)

I will certainly finish the bottle and bin the cheaper ones due to the superior quality, but slightly too dark to be flattering.

Popular Polishes