OPI Malaga Wine

OPI Malaga Wine

4.7

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Grey, Wavy, Medium

This polish has the depth of colour like a jelly, but also the smooth, opaque characteristics of a creme. I'm going to call it crelly (you could also call it a creme; the finish is pretty much that).

This polish is red in the way that wine is red, that is, it's richly medium-dark and leans just a little magenta-purple. This is especially visible on the first coat, which is typically streaky and thin (the plummy-purpley edge is very apparent, though). By the second coat, I have acceptable opacity, and a deeper, more red-wine colour.

This has a lovely, smooth formula and good application. Can be a little stainy; be sure to use a good base coat.

I have to admit, I have a long love affair with juicy, plummy, wine red nail polishes. This one is one of the best I've worn, and I'd certainly buy it again. Yum. :)

on 3/31/2016 5:09:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

Classic red creme, but on the cool side. Note: If you want something warm, maybe a touch dusty or subdued, but still have all the depth and allure of Malaga Wine, I included my alternative suggestions further down, too. If you want something that looks "wine" in all lights, get We the Female, from the Washington DC collection. You won't be disappointed.

Here's a picture (under a skylight) of some other popular OPI reds, so you can see the differences:
Full Size Image

Update Jan 2017: It's not as severe as I originally thought, so maybe I'm too critical of this popular shade.

I bet this color looks great on olive skin, so keep in mind this shade is very cool. Oh, and it changes color soooo much. In sun, cute cherry red. Indoors, it varies, and can go all the way to a dark wine/maroon color.

Application was great. Creamy, perfect. But removal was a nightmare. I have never had such a messy, staining episode. Nails, cuticles, tons of remover and cotton. Not worth it, but tried wearing this color twice, just to be sure.

So, if you are warm like me.... Lost on Lombard is my perfect flattering dark red, and First Date at the Golden Gate is another great red color on warm skin. The first time I tried Malaga, I wore it for a few hours, trying to like it (I mean, look at all the great reviews!) but later on took it off and put on Lombard. I literally felt relieved to see the appropriate warm brick red, and how it complements my skintone so nicely. I like First Date a lot, too. So much I bought backups of both, and wear them year round. They are both brown based and earthy, not screaming red. Very appropriate and classy, too.

**** A new one I just added: We the Female (see picture above), from the Washington collection. What a great color! I would call it a marsala (a difficult color to describe: but think... a dusty red/wine/dark berry/brownish color) then this is your color. It does not stain, and it does not change color radically the way Malaga Wine does. It's a very flattering wine color, even on warm skin tones. I reviewed it, too if you want to read that.

on 12/25/2013 2:21:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

Everyone compliments me on my nails when I wear Malaga wine. I literally mean everyone. Cashiers, friends coworkers my (male) doctor the list goes on and on. This amount of compliments from people I don't even know goes to show what a unique and flattering wine shade this is. Perfect for fall and winter. If I want to get noticed this is the nail polish to wear.

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I realize that this may be an unpopular review, but I'm not crazy about this shade. Here is why: while it is a beautiful, deep shade of wine in certain lighting, when under bright lighting it turns into a screaming bright red. Like, clown red. One of my biggest gripes with red polish is that tendency to look different in different lighting, and this is one of the worst offenders. I think that bright red polish looks garish on pale skin unless it is the *perfect* shade of red (Revlon Valentine comes to mind). Malaga Wine misses the mark for me. That said, it is opaque with 2 coats and I like it on my toes. But I will never again use it on my nails.

on 9/19/2011 11:05:00 AM

My mom has been on a hunt for the best red shade. We are both very fair-skinned, but I have dark Italian hair and she is blonde. On a shopping trip, I suggested this shade based on the rave reviews I read all the time. It was too deep on her fair skin, but luckily I inherited the bottle.
I LOVE it. I love that it looks different colors in different lighting. It varies between a deep autumn brown to a medium rich red in full sun. I only wear my manicures for a week at a time as I hate any sign of deterioration, but I know this shade does not chip within a week. The formula is a delight. I use Butter London Nail Foundation underneath and Essie Good to Go topcoat (I hate the OPIs for base and top). This is the only color that my husband compliments, telling me I have "really pretty nails" (he normally doesn't care). I am finishing grad school and starting the interview process for post-graduate work. I wouldn't wear it to an interview, but I find this shade both work and play appropriate. Though I normally switch shades weekly, I've had this one on for 4-5 weeks. Beautiful, sophisticated, and playful all at once.

on 11/25/2006 1:12:00 PM

Color & finish: Medium deep blue-based red, very slightly berry-toned

Coverage: Opaque

The perfect classic red! Every girl should have a red like this. It really goes with everything. Never over the top bright, never boring or dull. Just perfect, sexy red. (I wish I had a matching lipstick...)

Pic here continued >>

Not sure I can contribute anything original here; all the reviews sum it up and then some. This is a stunner, IMHO, and I'd definitely buy it again. So flattering, vibrant, smart-looking & sophisticated-just a gorgeous ruby red to me-and a cold weather one at that. Despite it's cool undertone, I agree that it would probably look great on just about any skin tone out there. Try it if you haven't!

on 11/5/2013 10:45:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

Malaga Wine is a versatile, fairly unique shade of red. It's a neutral toned red, so it's not orange-y or too purplish. Depending on the light, it's a cherry red (in sunlight) or a crimson/wine shade (indoors/dim light)- it falls somewhere in between under indoor light. This quality alone makes this one of my favorite shades of red, since it's flattering for all seasons. I also love that it's a cream, easy to apply color that doesn't streak; I apply two coats over a base coat and finish with a top coat. I tend to mostly wear it fall/winter, and usually opt for brighter colors in the summer. I have NC 35 skin tone, and Malaga Wine looks great on me. Since it doesn't lean on one end or the other on the red color-spectrum, it's a happy medium that I think would flatter all but the darker skin tones (which would probably look better with lighter and brighter polishes). I'd say if you have fair to medium/tan skin, you'll probably like Malaga Wine. It's a beautiful, classy OPI red.

on 5/6/2015 8:51:00 AM

This is such a beautiful colour: cream deep red with a hint of berry. I love all shades of red, so I am a big fan.

I marked it down slightly because I found the formula I little more difficult to work with than most of other OPIs I own. Difficult to get around the edges, so ended up quite messy around cuticles.

on 10/6/2016 4:43:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I found this and Russian Navy in a sale bin at my local drugstore. I figured what did I have to lose for $3.99. Well, on my fair complexion this is the most lovely deep warm red. No shimmer, very creamy, no cool tones and no chipping. I have passed on this one for many years assuming the color would be boring but to my surprise this is very elegant and perfect for autumn and the deep burgundy lip color trend. If your cool toned don't hesitate to try this.

Popular Polishes