CHANEL No.19

CHANEL No.19
No.19No.19No.19

4.4

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure

Overall, I give this perfume 4.5/5. I have both the EDT and the EDP. I like fragrances that are soft, mellow, comfortable, divine, elegant, simple but unique. I do not like sharp notes as I find them headache-inducing and offensive. I wore this fragrance when I was in my early twenties and I went on a closet clearing spree one day and figured I'd give away some of my fragrances (I have a lot---shhh my husband hasn't clued in on my perfumery hoarding). Anyway, the "cleaning" or "clearing" made me feel good as I have a lot of perfumes I would rotate through and I had not worn Chanel no 19 in a while so I figured I'd share some of my fragrance wealth. I had forgotten all about my love for this scent. Now, in my 30's , I have recently rekindled my nose to the Chanel no 19 scent and I realize how I missed it. It is such a unique, classic, elegant smell. There is an initial sting to the smell right after spraying it...it smells a bit busy and chemical-reaction like, and you would think " ugh, what was I thinking??", then in about 3-5 minutes -- it smells absolutely amazing. There's a sweetness yet clean, sophisticated smell to it. Some people describe the scent as being a bitchy smell ... And I would agree. It's a bitchy smell in an assertive, "I have things under control" smell "and even if I momentarily lose control, I'll regain it back on my bloody own" kind-of smell. I could only wish to embody that image to its fullest but Chanel no 19 dupes you into thinking you are that kind of bitch, everytime you wear this fragrance. It's a soft, mellow, comfortable, divine, and elegant smell...but it's got so much character. You could tell the difference between the Chanel line of fragrances where most of the scents are classic VS some other designer perfumes where the smell seems to be very similar to other perfumes in the market.. very commercial. If you are looking for a unique scent; this would be it. I date most perfumes but I marry Chanel no 19.

on 3/5/2013 10:06:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

The smell is really really nice. It is light and useful for both everyday casual use as well as usable at nicer events too.

Lasting power is not very good though, but maybe it is because I have the EDT. It sounds from the reviews that the EDP is much better so perhaps after I am done with my giant bottle of this perfume, I might go for the EDP.

The bottle, packaging, and the light green color of the perfume makes for a really classic, cultured look. I love the simple design.

It smells better on some people than others.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

This is a review for Chanel 19 (EDP)
I originally fell in love with Chanel 19 EDT and I bought it. After only one day, I realized that I could barely smell it on and I decided to take it back. I went online and I saw the Chanel 19 EDP on Chanel.com and I ordered. I just received it today and it smells absolutely amazing. I can smell it on me now and the smell gives me such peace. It reminds me of the Sleeping Beauty forest. In fact, I'm in love with this scent. I will continue to buy. The EDP is stronger than the EDT, but still not too strong to wear at work. I also love Coco Chanel EDP, but I do find the scent too strong to wear at work.

on 10/18/2011 3:51:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Tan, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

EDIT: I now have a pre-reformulation EDP of No.19, and the difference between that and the current EDT I reviewed below is HUGE. No.19 EDP still retains the galbanum and iris chill, but it's smoother and more well-rounded rather than an icy stab to the heart. The leather and musk are much more pronounced, their thick warmth balancing out the cooler notes. Juicy vetiver lingers in the background, and all in all No.19 EDP is like bottled I'm-wearing-an-expensive-leather-coat-and-walking-through-wintry-woods. LOVE, and if I can find another pre-reformulation bottle I'll certainly buy it again. You can tell current from vintage No.19 by whether the juice is neon lime green (current) or more brown-yellow-green (vintage/pre-reformulation). 5 stars for the vintage, 3-4 for the current iteration.

No.19 EDT is perhaps one of the most polarizing scents I've ever smelled. Reviews tend to validate this as people tend to love or loathe No.19. It starts off with an icy green galbanum dagger to the chest, which remains hilt-deep for hours. Spicy leather and musk begin to creep out after the half hour or so, but No.19 stays primarily the same from first spray throughout its incredibly long dry down. I get absolutely no florals from this whatsoever, and yet, I can't imagine this on a man. No. 19 is too ice queen, bitchy, bespectacled school marm in tweed rapping a yard stick on prim leather gloves to be masculine. Withering glance in a bottle. Wouldn't re-buy as I doubt I'll use up what I have.

on 10/31/2010 10:56:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

My favourite fragrance ever. I was 17 when I first used it and after many many changes depending on the period I was in I always went back to my Chanel 19. Fresh, clean and classy. Very different from any scent you might buy, Individualistic and assertive. I just love it, nothing compares to it.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I don't get what the big deal is on this one?

To me it smells like watered down Aromatics Elixir. I tried the EDT at Macy's. It was quite light and I kept checking my arm for development. But all I got was weak roses, a little moss, followed by some patchouli. That's it. Am I missing something?

on 2/12/2008 7:48:00 AM

I love this. It's one of my favorite perfume. I think No.19 is the most classic fragrance and its scent is forever and everlasting admired.

on 1/11/2008 6:24:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Warm

This is described as a "green floral". I find it to be clean and sexy smelling all at the same time. A classic fragrance that smells like nothing else and is a great break from all those heavily sweet gourmand fragrances which are all the rage today. There's a reason this was Coco Chanel's favorite fragrance and the one she personally always wore. I love this one.

And, for those of you who think this smells "old lady" all I can say is...she's one sexy and sophisticated "old lady". Heck it's a classic, it never goes out. It's fresh and unduplicated. There's nothing "old lady" about it.

on 8/27/2007 11:40:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm

After disliking all the other Chanel fragrances, I'm completely surprised how well No.19 works with my skin chemistry -- it has never been available at the local malls, & I just recently received decants of both the EDT & EDP via swap. I normally gravitate towards warm & woodsy aromas - this is my first love affair with a sweet green floral. No.19 makes me feel like I indulged in a hot bath & used some very expensive imported soaps, oils, and body powder. The scent wafts off my skin (lasts for hours) and makes me feel like a lady even in my ratty jeans and sneakers. I have to use it sparingly though - it can be headache inducing in copius amounts - and I notice that this scent goes vinegary quite fast if it's not stored away properly.

on 5/18/2007 7:16:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I bought a bottle of the EDP rather than the EDT as the latter, although a tad fresher, is also too sharp for my nose at the beginning while the EDP is perfect. After hearing so much about its green-ness, I was expecting that quality to come forth, but it did not. On me, this is a semi-sweet floral - primly white, delicate flower buds, contrasted with even a pinch of fresh, dewy leaves. The sweetness of the perfume comes from the choice of flowers (Iris, Lily-of-the-Vally etc), and not from synthetic fruit scents that that recent perfumes seem to be laced with. Lasting power is alright- I can smell myself after 5 hours with 2 sprays. The base of No. 19 is woody, and dry and the vetiver and oakmoss is noticeable and so are the aldehydes, but it still retains most of its youthful qualities. This is a scent that can take one from work to weekends and special day-time occasions, and is the perfect accompaniment to effortless style. (I always feel that the ladies in Ralph Lauren ads with jeans and white shirts and pearls should be wearing Chanel No. 19 and not the usual Ralph Lauren scents). This will suit people who like flowers tinged with some green (like lily-of-the-valley, orange blossoms, white rose buds, frangipanis etc.) on an elegant woody base. The bottle is classically-pretty as well- Chanel angular bottle with the square cap containing pale, leafy green (not bright emerald green) fluid.