CHANEL No.19

CHANEL No.19
No.19No.19No.19

on 3/17/2015 8:14:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

I don't really get the rave reviews of No.19. I'm going to give it 2 lippies because it's OK. I sometimes like wearing my Chanel No.19 EDP to business meetings when I want to come across and feel a bit conservative, matured, yet quite inoffensive.
The scent is very old-school and old-fashioned for me. It's way too harsh for the first couple of minutes and then I only smell a hand soap, that's it. Will definitely not repurchase after I finish (if ever) the bottle that I got as a gift...

on 12/18/2014 2:30:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Neutral

EDT Review

I was bought this as an 18th birthday present by my mother, and I adore it. The scent is fresh and green, without being too overpowering. It's also a very androgynous scent, with lovely woody notes to it. I find it works in all situations, but being a student, it is most definitely the most sophisticated perfume I own, and the one I wear for 'dressy' events

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

My first review! I bought this one yesterday, my first bottle, edp 50ml. I've smelled only the bottle for so long time and hated it but for some days ago I sprayed it on my wrist for the first time and I fell in love directly. I almost never like the topnotes in perfumes because it's always to strong and harsh in the beginning so I waited some hours to smell my wrist and then it was perfect, the kind of perfume i've been looking for without really knowing it. I've read a lot about it and it seems that it smells very different depend on who's wearing it. On me it's lovely, ultra feminine, soapy (which i totally love), fresh and so classic. It's doesn't last as long as it should, a perfume for this price and brand should deliver more on that front. I also think it's boring that the small bottle (35ml) is so ugly.. The bigger bottle is so beautiful, my favorite design ever. The reason why i don't going to buy it again is because i think it will last forever! I love it!

Skin: Normal, Medium, Cool

I was thrilled to receive a large spray bottle of this as a gift after having the original 20+ years ago. While it is only a pale shadow of itself, the longevity was even worse -- actually nonexistent. What a disappointment. This was one of the all-time greats in the '80s. It has now gone the way of YSL Rive Gauche, one of the other stars of the perfume world.

on 10/22/2012 1:57:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

First off, I am a male (23-years-old) and I absolutely love this fragrance (the eau du toilette). Whenever I wear it people ALWAYS ask me what I'm wearing and comment on its sophistication/elegance/allure.

I personally think this fragrance is better-suited for the wintertime—not just because it is very heavy, but I find that it lasts better in the cold.

I am not the best at describing fragrances, but this is what No. 19 smells like to me:
The fragrance opens very big—it has a sharp, distinct smokiness that is undercut by what I think smells like dried irises. It isn't floral at all, though. It is more woody and leathery. As the fragrance develops it maintains its smokiness, but it becomes more subtle, and crosses over somewhat into the 'powdery and green' domain. Some people have commented on how No. 19 disappears on them, but when I spray it (3 on front of neck, once on back of neck, once on each wrist, and two across the collar of my shirt) it never seems to quit. I'd go as far as saying the longevity of this fragrance on me is upwards of 15 hours. And I live in Toronto (lots of pollution and other "city scents"). Also, the scent NEVER leaves your clothing. If you want to leave a nice trail wherever you go, I'd suggest spraying it a few times on a scarf or a jacket.

Overall, No. 19 is a very elegant, very cold/aloof fragrance that lets everyone around you know who's boss.

on 8/11/2012 7:44:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I've worn this perfume for years and have always loved it, but I had never felt the whole "nectar of the wealthy people" vibe. I'm also yet to hear of a perfume that can assess your financial position, and adjust its smell accordingly (wouldn't that be handy in aftershave!). This is a complex fragrance that fares better in cold climates. I live in Melbourne (cool) and if I wear Chanel 19 my friends ask me what I'm wearing as it smells divine. If I wear it in Brisbane (hot and humid) the same friends ask what the heck am I wearing? One friend said it smells like I "ran past a perfume counter spraying myself with anything at random" - utterly overpowering. When at its best, this is just an amazing fragrance. It starts off crisp and "green", then settles in to a powdery yet almost masculine smell with its leathery undertones, but subtle (in cold weather at least). It isn't by any means a "fun" or "extroverted" fragrance and maybe that puts quite a few people off the smell. In short - this fragrance is wine bars, open fires, and chilling out which isn't for everyone. However, if this sounds like you, consider giving No 19 a try as I think its one of those fragrances that easily becomes a "signature" of you, and not of the brand.

My favorite fragrance for 20 years.
Only the deodorant en the body emulsion have a totaly different smell.

Update: Chanel has changed something. The liquid is darker green and the smell is less strong than before they have changed the fragrance. It is so stupid to change this beautiful frangance of Chanel. It lost his character.

on 1/4/2012 9:41:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This EDT doesn't do well on my dry skin. Opens with a crisp green headache in a cloud of powder. The dry down is cold and stale - I get powder and old ladies. No earth, moss, leather or floral on me. Thankfully only lasts 2-3 hours :(

on 10/30/2011 7:37:00 PM

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

I've only tried the EDT so far. I'm in the minority who can't understand why this scent is described as "sharp," "icy," "piercing," "sour," or heaven forbid, "b*tchy". On me, no. 19 edt does open with a blast of fresh green, but then begins to settle in with moss, a breath of rose, and loamy woods that are almost ... well .. cuddly.

No. 19 edt is the smell of laying in a safe spot by a mossy log under a shaft of early spring sunlight with fresh new grass coming up through the dead dry grass around you. It is beautiful and slightly sweet not in a sugary or powdery way but in the tender way of spring leaves. Its sort of a gentle smiling forest nymph fragrance.

WRT formulas changing, Chanel always denies that anything has changed ever, which is ridiculous. Regulations on various ingredients have changed over the years, the availability of raw ingredients is changed, and scents have to be reformulated. Perfume houses do their masterful, artistic best to keep the scent and quality consistent, but I accept completely that the No. 19 I've gotten to know is not what No. 19 used to be. I'm sad that I've missed out on what was probably an even more incredible fragrance.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Happy Birthday Coco! Her birthday was Aug 19, hence this lovely masterpiece was made for her.