CHANEL No.19

CHANEL No.19
No.19No.19No.19

4.2

on 8/11/2015 9:28:00 PM

People always fuss about No. 5.

They really need to know that No. 19 exists.

Firstly, No. 19 doesn't look like the urine of a dehydrated workaholic in desperate need of water.

Secondly, the scent of this perfume smells like spring in winter, a new budding bloom snap frozen in a droplet of ice. It's both refreshing, fresh, and crisp. The most discernible notes are floral, highlighted by a contrasting heavier woodsy base notes. The combination elevates this scent to a more mature territory instead of flirty and girly.

A little goes a long way. It's a tease, like the aroma of dessert before you see it. This perfume is haughty. I don't know why but that word comes to mind. It's unapologetic, not bold or in your face but sedate and steady, simply there.

I recommend you ask for a small sample or try some on in a department store and going outside to notice the effects, because it'll be rapidly overwhelmed by other scents in the perfume department. If you spray a LOT on, you don't get the light refreshing hits of rose and flowers, you get the woodsy layers punching through, and that's not what any girl aims for unless she's trying to out man her ex-bf.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

My first review! I bought this one yesterday, my first bottle, edp 50ml. I've smelled only the bottle for so long time and hated it but for some days ago I sprayed it on my wrist for the first time and I fell in love directly. I almost never like the topnotes in perfumes because it's always to strong and harsh in the beginning so I waited some hours to smell my wrist and then it was perfect, the kind of perfume i've been looking for without really knowing it. I've read a lot about it and it seems that it smells very different depend on who's wearing it. On me it's lovely, ultra feminine, soapy (which i totally love), fresh and so classic. It's doesn't last as long as it should, a perfume for this price and brand should deliver more on that front. I also think it's boring that the small bottle (35ml) is so ugly.. The bigger bottle is so beautiful, my favorite design ever. The reason why i don't going to buy it again is because i think it will last forever! I love it!

on 2/24/2014 7:40:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

This is for current formulation of EDP only.

Be warned: This is downright awful on the wrong skin. No question about it. Do test on skin before you purchase. Sniffing No19 on a strip or from the bottle repells me and tells me nothing about what's to come. Old lady perfume gone bad anyone? Those top notes are a wreck!

But I'm willing to suffer through this, because as soon as I'm rid of the top, the orris kicks in and softens the greens and the galbanum to a powdery spring forest filled with violets and lifts the leather to more of a living skin scent on me. It stays close to my person and doesn't demand a lot of space.

This is not a revolutionary or supersexy perfume. It's ideal for situations where I don't want to be perceived as sexy, flirty, shady/mysterious, odd or excentric. Where I just want to smell well groomed and professional. Relaxed yet clean. Classy but not attention grabbing. It's a classic for a good reason.

This used to be a five star perfume imo 20 years ago, it's now a four because it's been reformulated. It's a pity every reformulation is always a step down in quality (=aromachemicals replacing naturals). Never a step up. Sorry for the language but I mean it: D**n IFRA and what they do to perfumery!

on 12/31/2013 4:31:00 PM

Simply stated it is sophistication in a bottle. Slight hints of leather among a fresh green scent. It is not a pretty floral scent. It is soft yet empowering and timeless

on 4/20/2013 9:52:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This fragrance is very light, very fresh, very green!!! Its as if im in a rainforest with its fresh dew aroma. The scent is mild and refreshing but the staying power is quite disappointing. Not long lasting on me. Love.love.love

on 6/16/2012 12:15:00 PM

First: I am reviewing the vintage parfum. I was lucky enough to have been given this as a gift. I knew it was coming, so I waited impatiently in the mail for it to arrive. When it finally did, I opened the box, unstopped the small glass bottle, and applied a small dab.

Have you ever seen "Atonement"? When Keira Knightley wears that gorgeous, ethereal, green dress? Now imagine wearing that dress, in the middle of a forest in full leaf, and the rich smell of dirt and loam, with moss at the base of the trees, and sunlight peeking through the branches.
THAT is Chanel 19.

Of course, I tried it in the best possible form. The vintage parfum came in a the beloved Chanel glass bottle, and the juice was a deep golden-brown. I remember almost gasping when I first smelled the galbanum and neroli. The jasmine, iris, and rose appear not too long afterwards, and then you are treated to the rich but not-overwhelming vetiver and leather .

I know that some people find Chanel 19 "cold". Its not the sweet, powdery, accessible Chanel 5..and definitely not the usual sickly-sweet, low quality celebrity scents of today. And I know that Chanel 19 was originally marketed as a scent for 'corporate' women.

To me, is a deep, woody, forestal scent, wearable with jeans and a leather jacket, or a velvet gown. It's understated, and best applied with a light hand.

The woman who knows and loves Chanel19 is an individual and not afraid to show it.

I have absolutely no idea why some classify this as a harsh, bitch scent, unless they are talking about the EDT, which is effectively quite a sharp, intense experience, and could certainly be a bit of a 'Marmite' fragrance.

The EDP however is subtle, beautiful, and a little unusual. The best way I can find to describe it is grassy, aquatic, and powdery. The first thing I think of when I smell it is a lake, roses floating in water.

It's soft, possibly a little too soft for my liking - I would prefer it to last longer. It's extremely feminine, and smells very natural and organic. There's nothing synthetic-smelling about it whatsoever, and to be fair, although we may deplore its lack of staying power, it still hovers quietly close to the skin, which is actually a good thing in many ways. It's as if your body naturally smells like this, like this is just the natural scent of your skin, and would be detected by someone leaning in closer - it just doesn't hit people in the face hours after you've put it on. I'm not a fan of perfumes (however nice they smell) that are so loud and present, it's like ''Hai guys!! I'm wearing perfume!'' Pure Poison is an example of a perfume that does that. Smells good, but it's a bit fake.

For me, the EDP is a scent to suit all occasions. I don't get 'power woman' from it at all. I get 'confident, smart, sensitive' woman from it. The kind of woman who has enough self-belief to not go around shouting about her many talentss. A sophisticated woman, young or old.

on 10/30/2011 7:37:00 PM

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

I've only tried the EDT so far. I'm in the minority who can't understand why this scent is described as "sharp," "icy," "piercing," "sour," or heaven forbid, "b*tchy". On me, no. 19 edt does open with a blast of fresh green, but then begins to settle in with moss, a breath of rose, and loamy woods that are almost ... well .. cuddly.

No. 19 edt is the smell of laying in a safe spot by a mossy log under a shaft of early spring sunlight with fresh new grass coming up through the dead dry grass around you. It is beautiful and slightly sweet not in a sugary or powdery way but in the tender way of spring leaves. Its sort of a gentle smiling forest nymph fragrance.

WRT formulas changing, Chanel always denies that anything has changed ever, which is ridiculous. Regulations on various ingredients have changed over the years, the availability of raw ingredients is changed, and scents have to be reformulated. Perfume houses do their masterful, artistic best to keep the scent and quality consistent, but I accept completely that the No. 19 I've gotten to know is not what No. 19 used to be. I'm sad that I've missed out on what was probably an even more incredible fragrance.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I don't get the rave reviews on this - I gave it a 2 because it's not the worst thing I've ever smelled but it is quite disagreeable to me! It is a musty, musky, somewhat powdery scent - and yes it is "old ladyish" I'm sure but it just smells like an old woman's perfume. It reminds me of Jean Nate. It has such a scent of a cheap, old fashioned dime-store perfume. Save your money on this and try some Jean Nate - a similarly cheap, musty, musky old-fashioned scent.

on 5/2/2010 5:58:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Chilly and unyielding, this one. To me, it comes off as a power scent of the 80's and as an icey stare across the board room. I'm glad I only ordered a sample of this and didn't go whole hog on purchasing an overpriced bottle. It came off as a void, expressionless metrosexual scent on yours truly. I guess I could try to convince my husband to give it a whirl, except after I applied it, he made a face when he sniffed my wrist. Great for an in-charge personality who is comfortable overthrowing her feminine side. I do give it credit for being no-nonsense; but cold mashed potatoes have more personality. I can't say that I hate it because I'm sure it smells luscious on many of its fans.