CHANEL No.19

3.7

on 7/7/2014 11:11:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

EDT Review

No. 19 is a strange one... A lot of people label this as a cold, heartless, "ice queen/boardroom bitch", kind of fragrance. I don't get that at all. To me it smells like a bunch of freshly cut morning spring flowers being newly placed in a vase.

I find this to be very soft, slightly powdery, and sensual. I don't find it "unemotional" or whatever. To me I think Chanel Cristalle fulfills all of those previous labels, that is one that I see as more masculine (and one which as a man I happily wear). No. 19 EDT opens a little like the Cristalle EDT does (hyacinch and bergamot) but the galbanum really gives it an amazing quality (warm and sensual). The powdery iris is really beautiful here. It's clean and fresh and sexy at the same time. I do get Oakmoss and Vetiver and I think the earthiness of the Iris (orris root) and the dryness of the Vetiver compliment each other beautifully.

It's true that this fragrance is the opposite of "girly", as it definitely gives off a grown up vibe, but I wouldn't say it's a "cold-hearted bitch" kind of perfume. To me it's quite alive and soft. The kind of person I would see wearing this would be an intellectual, kind hearted young woman, the kind of girl who is really attractive with a sweater and glasses who always has her head in a book, but doesn't know just how beautiful she is kind of thing. Alternatively any woman who wears a suit to work or academic but deep down is still really kind and loving to those around her.

With reference to the unisex quality often attributed to this, I find Chanel Cristalle (also by Henri Robert) more masculine than this, but something like "Dior Homme" (also an iris leathery fragrance) more feminine than this, it being sweeter and more gourmand than No. 19. Coincidentally... I know that my grandfather sometimes wears on occasion so I think it certainly wouldn't be out of place being worn on a man.

As mentioned before, this was Gabrielle Chanel's signature scent. It was originally private and exclusive to her, before being released publicly just before she died. However, that being said... I'm now starting to get a pattern in late Chanel perfumer, Henri Robert's creations: Chanel Pour Monsieur (1955) is a green Chypre, No. 19 (1971) is a green floral, and Cristalle (1974) is floral Chypre. All have Citrus notes, all have Oakmoss, and all have Vetiver. But what sets No. 19 apart is the beautiful, sublime Iris note. Powdery, soft, warm and somehow elegantly clean... it undoubtedly makes No. 19 the plushest, most sensual, and most feminine of the trio. It really is a masterfully blended perfume.

I don't see Chanel No. 19 as a cold, "unemotional" fragrance, to me (a man's opinion) it's like meeting a very attractive yet quiet, shy, intellectual type of girl with a kind, warm, loving heart who you just want to cuddle up with on the sofa by the fire. This is just one gorgeously grown-up, well- balanced fragrance!

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

A very unique skin scent, with moss, green and leather notes. No sweetness here, just a caressing cashmere feel. The bottle is modern, somewhat art deco elegance. No fru fru embellishments here. Just an "intellectual' fragrance. Although I always come back to this scent, its lasting power is very disappointing.

on 5/6/2010 2:41:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

This is one of those scents that smell fantastic on the right body chemistry. Unfortunately, I don't have that chemistry. I love it because it's a very sophisticated scent, not at all fruity or sweet or flowery. My friend wears this and it just smells so cool and subtle. Very typical of the scents that came out in the 70s. If you can pull it off, go for it.

on 12/19/2009 1:08:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

Chanel No. 19 EDT...I havent figured this fagrance out at all... and it is certainly like nothing I am used to wearing. I'm not sure if it even suits me, however, I very much enjoy wearing it. I feel empowered and confident with it on. Very green, I get cucumber and leather.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Powder and dirt suffocate the beautiful gardenia that struggles to be heard in this disappointing fragrance. Could be an old-lady smell if that old lady played in the dirt and then put powder on instead of bathing.

on 12/31/2008 2:58:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

This review is for the EDP. This fragrance does not go well with my chemistry at all. Pure bug spray on me.

on 10/16/2008 6:02:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I tried the EDP version of this the other day because I keep hearing how fabulous it is all over the place, but I didn't like it at all, for I simply found it way too sharp and "sour" for my taste - I'm about scents on the sweeter side as it seems. Or maybe they just tend to work better with my body chemistry.
I am very clearly the minority, and this just proves once again beyond doubt that scents are really a totally subjective matter; it all comes down to personal taste.

on 8/1/2008 7:27:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

This was the first perfume that became MINE.

I grew up in a house where my mother wore no scent, and my sister drenched herself in Opium or Rive Gauche at 8am, and then sat in the car for 20 minutes with me on the way to school. Ugh. I still cannot stand the scent of them.

So when I encountered 19 it... was perfect. It was nothing like I thought a perfume had to be.

Someone once told me that the way to know if a perfume suits you is if you forget you are wearing it - when the scent becomes so much a natural part of you that you can no longer smell it. 19 does this on me. So much better than wandering round all day catching in-your-face whiffs of yourself - even if you like that whiff.

It is green and glorious in a cool and sophisticated way.
I wear the edt because the edp is heavier and duller on my skin, and does not have the same magic. I was quite shocked when I (as an impoverished student), bought the largest edp that I couldn't really afford, and then discovered that it was a completely different, and not so nice, smell. I ended up giving it away.

I wear 19 for work mainly, because I feel alert, confident, casual and sophisticated in it. Not overtly sexy, but very much me. It is, for me, an aspirational fragrance, and one that, with time, has come to fulfil its promise.

on 5/26/2008 5:53:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

A fragrance for women who want to seem cool and detached. Very green, with biting undertones which become rather unpleasant after a while. Too chilly and heartless for me. Makes me feel depressed.

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

I smelled this in samples and on strips. Finally, I got the courage to try it on my skin. The first five minutes weren't so good. Afterwards was all that everyone says. Green green green. I can imagine my gradeschool teachers wearing this. I can imagine Princess Leia wearing this, but not me wearing this!

Popular Fragrances