CHANEL No.19

4.4

on 12/18/2014 2:30:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Neutral

EDT Review

I was bought this as an 18th birthday present by my mother, and I adore it. The scent is fresh and green, without being too overpowering. It's also a very androgynous scent, with lovely woody notes to it. I find it works in all situations, but being a student, it is most definitely the most sophisticated perfume I own, and the one I wear for 'dressy' events

on 9/22/2012 12:32:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Not Sure

First of all, I really don't get the hype of chanel 19, it's good but it's not great. It was very pricey for me and my mother liked it better. If it were a gift, I'd be very happy to receive it but I'd not wear it every single day. The scent is not as heavy as Coco Mademoiselle or Coco Chanel, it is slightly more subtle, and is definitely powdery. It does not stay that long on my wrists, perhaps because I live in place that is humid making the scent go away in only 3 hours. Let's just say that Chanel no 19 is aimed for an older version of me, a person that yearns for freedom.

on 8/10/2012 1:06:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

Man, I'm really not getting any of the wire mother/ice queen vibes that other people have written about. The EDT I tried today opens with a nice little whack of galbanum and greens, but no curving talons or icy daggers in sight. Then it quickly smooths out into a very pretty early spring day, a mix of bergamot, hyacinth, narcissus, hay and dirt. After a few hours this is just a wisp of powder on my skin. It feels very similar to Parfum de Nicolai's Le Temps d'une Fete, but with less of whatever made me sneezy. It's really growing on me and might need a bottle to cheer me up when winter comes.

I should also note that (as a committed Guerlain girl) Chanel's perfumes strike me as awfully good value. The 3.3 oz EDT I was eyeing was $90. It's not cheap, but compared to so many niche perfumeries it's a bargain. And the parfum is something like $105. $105! Every time I look at what a bottle of L'Heure Bleue parfum would cost me (hint: three times as much) I cry a little.

on 12/27/2010 9:17:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

I think this is one of those perfumes that you either love and wear time and time again, or absolutley hate. I'm in the first category- i recieved a bottle as a gift and am now on my 3rd. I use it amidst other fragrances but always come back to this. Upon first spray it is quite strong and aldehyde-y, but this wears off within minutes on me and leaves the middle/base notes lasting for hours and hours. A classic!

on 9/21/2010 5:37:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

An epic green woodsy floral scent, stands apart from any transient fashion trend and therefore IMO will not date. Definitely womanly not girly. And you need to be quite a self-assured woman to feel comfortable in it...since the fragrance is kinda assertively individual.

on 1/21/2008 2:20:00 AM

This is the only fragrance I've ever sampled that I knew I just HAD to immediately have. I'd passed by this countless times at dept. stores because I thought the green color meant it would smell like grass. I could not have been more wrong! It's green like freshly cut flowers or a misty garden after some rain, not a blurry haze of just mowed grass. I don't know if I get sexiness from this, but I definitely get elegance, intelligence, and autonomy. No.19 is my ultimate self-confidence scent. I just feel good about myself when I wear this. No.19 is a fragrance I wear to please myself, not others (although I've been complimented on it many times). Not only did this fragrance broaden my olfactory horizons (I didn't even know what a chypre was before I tried this, now I can't get enough of them) but along with Chanel No.5 is a fragrance that I will never be without again. As for it being "old lady", I don't think theres a single fragrance on MUA where someone hasn't thrown that term around. All I can say is I'm 21 and this suits me well. I think No.19 is for all ages, but it has an "old soul" quality about it that requires a certain level of maturity from the wearer. It's as unique, beautiful, and independant as Chanel herself and I'm honored to be able to wear such a work of art.

on 11/6/2006 9:32:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

Not as rich or voluptuous in drydown as some of my other favorite chypres like YSL Y, or Vent Vert. But this is lighter and more airy and much less serious than those. Youthful fresh, flitting butterflies and bright skies. It's an entirely different experience for me. I detect some fruity notes in the edp, but perhaps I'm imagining it since I don't think there are any. If I close my eyes it is possible to imagine this as only a floral fragrance w/o much green at all. Sounds crazy but this No 19 seems less green and less heavy to me than a full-blown chypre--I guess by full-blown I mean that I can detect oakmoss in the drydown. I don't get much of that in this scent. Also it is not as fruity as Eau du Soir by Sisley which I think is the fruitiest green scent I own.

on 2/5/2006 12:39:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Not Sure

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Coarse

This is my favorite from the 5 parfums in the Wardrobe 2005. And it is one hell of a green - to me it's the perfect green. Althought I am not a woodsy-grassy person, I really love this. So unique! Chanel gave me the first impression of vetiver, and I plan on looking for more scents with this note.

on 5/29/2005 1:20:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This was immediate love at first sniff. The only scent I've went thru at least 12 bottles of. As for the people that claim it is old-lady smelling, I was a young teen when I started wearing this. My teen boyfriend loved it. True, it is nothing like today's simple, light, fruity-foo-foo concoctions, and perhaps that's why I have loved it so. Chanel No 19 is complex. It takes sensuality, depth and substance to fully appreciate all that it has to offer. To those who tastelessly express their opinion of it with "Yuck", "Bug Spray" and "Not even worthy of being called a Chanel", I say just keep on using your simple, fruity-foo-foo concoctions and leave Chanel No 19 to us "women"! ***Note: Personally, I like the lighter EDT version***

on 4/25/2005 10:01:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

Chanel No 19 is my defining scent. My mum wore it to parties and formal dinners, and as a child I was endlessly fascinated by the tantalizing notes swirling within No.19. That feminine flower-like yet not-quite elusive note tempered by the after hint of leather – so utterly lovely, simply and stunningly a sensuous masterpiece. My reaction to it remains very much a visceral reaction till this present day. After I grew up, I tried very hard to “adopt” other perfumes that were more immediately sophisticated/feminine (Chanel No.5) or find something else that would express myself adequately. Nothing came close to this magnificent combination of soft femininity that is not overt (No. 19 has no need to flaunt or declare its femininity with sheer sex appeal, it is fully confident in her own womanliness and intellect) with leather hues that wraps itself around, and in a indescribable way, compliment and even enhance the feminine aspects.

Even though I am aware No.19 is not a scent which is appealing to most people, I can’t kick my bond to it. No. 19 is my soul mate – like a grand affair that smolders through the ages. Not marriage material to each other perhaps, but belonging to one another nonetheless.

To me No.19 is the embodiment of elegance, it is art deco, it is old world class, it is throwback to another era. It is a Lady.

This is my Ode to you, Chanel No.19.