CHANEL No.19

CHANEL No.19
No.19No.19No.19

3.9

on 3/22/2013 12:25:00 PM

I have a sample of this, and it smells exactly like a hospital. I mean, it's uncanny. It smells like their cleaning disinfectant. I'll pass on this.

on 4/12/2010 3:16:00 AM

I went to Paris to buy this in several forms, hoping the Euro-available versions would be better than the weak EdT found in the U.S. No.19 is still one of the greats, no doubt. But it has certainly lost the rosy, leathery humor that lent the velvet glove to its iron fist before many of its ingredients were changed. None of today's versions of No.19, (extrait, EDP, or EdT) can match its former glory, but they are still worth visiting.

This holds the dual distinction of being the most interesting fragrance I've ever smelled AND the most maddening. I say maddening because no matter how many times I spray on a sample at the mall, I'm unable to decide whether I like how it smells in the bottle or on my skin. But the fact that it keeps me guessing and obsessing is surely a sign of its greatness.

If you have ever lain awake at night trying to make sense of a love-hate relationship, well, this is the fragrance equivalent. On the one hand, the overpowering green smell practically slaps you in the face and screams, "Stay away from me! Can't you see how aloof I am?", while the pleasantly soapy, cinnamon-like basenote whispers, "Come hither, my dear! I promise I won't bite!" Unable to resolve the psychological contradictions of the fragrance, I have to keep sniffing my wrist again and again and again. And just when I think I have a verdict, the scent (or perhaps just my opinion of it!) seems to morph yet again, requiring a whole new set of adjectives. If I were the kind of person who uses Twitter, I could easily sit here for hours reporting on a moment-by-moment basis all the impressions I have as the scent dries down. It's that complicated.

In short, this is THE greenest fragrance in the world, and I will either love it or hate it, once I make up my mind. Until that moment comes, I'll be curled up in a fetal position, chanting "It loves me. It loves me not. It loves me. It loves me not."

on 12/19/2009 1:08:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

Chanel No. 19 EDT...I havent figured this fagrance out at all... and it is certainly like nothing I am used to wearing. I'm not sure if it even suits me, however, I very much enjoy wearing it. I feel empowered and confident with it on. Very green, I get cucumber and leather.

on 7/16/2009 11:57:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

This is for the EDP. I sampled this early on in my perfumista exposure, and then recently tried it again. I should say that if you like sweet green scents, and understand what a green scent is you'll probably like this. I always assumed they would fit me to a T, and I think i've concluded now after many that they really don't. I don't like grassy notes, although I do like woods. So about the scent: the edp is more powdery than the edt (wich is more like a freshly mowed lawn, and because its Chanel, a fussily mowed one at that). I found it offputtingly sweet, and I occasionally like chinatown so I wouldn't consider my tastes to be acerbic. My best simile is that I found it like those violet pastel candies (the chowards?) and I don't really care for those, though I can't exactly say I detected a violet note in 19, and I don't have a problem w/ any of the notes: bergamot, neroli, tuberose, oakmoss, vetiver, leather. However, as perverse as perfume usually is-- if you like 19 and would like another Chanel in the same vein w/ a powdery sweetness (and one i truly liked) try Bois d'Iles. Usual high quality, that alone should probably merit it a 4, but I liked it so little, my first instinct was to give it a 2.

on 1/10/2009 1:49:00 AM

I've been wearing this scent since turning 22. That is almost a lifetime ago for me. It's a clean scent... definitely not telling of your age. I think it smells differently on me than others, but I think the wift of this scent creates a certain aura around you... one of slight prestige and great style.

on 6/27/2008 4:32:00 PM

I loved No.19 EDT for years and wore it regularly, but it smells very different now, so regretfully I won't be repurchasing. I prefer to keep my memories.

on 6/25/2008 8:00:00 AM

(This review is for EdT)
Chanel No. 19 is a breathtaking masterpiece of modern perfumery, and a premier example of what one might term an aspirational fragrance. While other scents may be thought of as merely evocative of an image, a time, or a place, No. 19 is one of those rare perfumes that one dons when one aspires to transcend the bounds of one’s normal way of being. Not only does it smell good (ça sent bon), but it speaks of a woman who is confident, self-assured, devastatingly elegant, and absolutely comfortable with her own power. It's a fragrance to wear to remind yourself how to be strong, courageous, and in control.

As a composition, No. 19 strikes me also as a paradigmatic example of Chanel’s ultra-soigné style in fragrance. Just as Coco Chanel’s fashion eschewed fripperies and ornamentation for a look that was sleek, modern, and editorial, No. 19 is a beautifully abstract composition whose elements have been perfected, polished, and seamlessly integrated together. The bitter green chill of the opening galbanum-neroli-hyacinth accord is matched by the opulence of the floral heart of rose de mai, jasmine, ylang-ylang, and lily of the valley, like the simple cut of a minimalist dress that, up close, reveals its construction out of beautifully rich and sumptuous materials. But rather than being a literal bouquet of posies, the floral notes dissolve together into a abstract accord that does not let you forget its essential relationship to “flower-ness”, even as it is, in its current evolutionary form, so exquisitely crafted that it utterly exceeds the physical notion of a flower in nature. Throughout in this stylized composition, iris provides a chilly, metallic, inedible sheen, while the dark, mossy, vetiver base maintains a certain regal austerity.

No. 19 is sometimes called “chilly”, “heartless”, and “cruel,” like the scent of a strict dominatrix in stiletto heels and a pencil skirt, as though the idea of a strong, powerful woman necessarily implies that she would have to be an ice queen. Perhaps this lingering attitude is a throwback to a time (No. 19 was released in 1971) when women's forays into the corporate boardroom were evoking this sort of response among their insecure male colleagues. Today, I experience it as the scent of a woman who makes no apologies for her power OR for her femininity. And a scent that any man could wear, provided that he has the balls to aspire to the very best qualities of strong women.

on 5/28/2008 2:48:00 AM

Today's No. 19 (as opposed to yesterday's) seems to have nearly removed the signature leather in favor of a sweeter, soft-focus jasmine/rose/iris bouquet. The leather is what inhibited my initial enjoyment of No. 19; that and the prickly galbanum never seemed to settle. On paper, they did, but in practice the scent always rode very high. I sold a bottle of the vintage EdT for this reason and then regretted it. When I heard that No. 19 was headed towards becoming a boutique-only scent (in north central Florida, the idea of a boutique is laughable), I made a road trip to find what appeared to be the last bottle standing. The amusing detail here is that the SA told me that that I'd gotten the last bottle; the second-to-last had been sold that morning. This fragrance has disappeared from ULTA as well.

The new No. 19 is muted to a blush, presumably favoring or hopefully pandering to the clients of Chance and Coco Mademoiselle. While missing the distinctive profile of the former iteration, I do find the latest more wearable. The galbanum doesn't rap nearly so sharply against the base, although now it seems that this was a desirable signature and not something that should have been sacrificed to market or regulation. I also find that the EdT does not last nearly so long as it once did; the galbanum quickly fades off into the bouquet, which in turns shies towards the dumbed-down base. I'm surprised at the lack of staying power compared with the earlier version. The new version turns No. 19 into a skin scent without the braininess of the original.

Although I can now wear and enjoy this friendlier No. 19 with ease, the awareness of its past makes me feel as if I'm wearing the ghost of an idea. The original had a distinct yellow-greenish cast and the new feels as pale as celadon.

on 5/22/2008 7:49:00 AM

I must say when I first tried it I was quite disappointed. In the EDT form it smells like a weak Dioressence (1969). After about six months I know better as I have learnt to recognise the iris note at the initial stage (thanks to the bois jasmin blog and to Hiris). Iris is taking the centre stage with rose providing the supporting. Then iris waves farewell and rose takes up the centre stage. I am still dissecting the rest of the notes hopefully after a year I'll learn it all in the end!!

Popular Fragrances