Chanel No.19

Chanel No.19
No.19No.19No.19

4.1

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

I, like many before me, have read Perfumes: The Guide about twelve times. I make lists, I edit, I find, I try... and No. 19 was on my list forever. It sounded so familiar because I think for many of us older than age 35 this fragrance was probably worn by women around us when we were little. I smelled and it though, well of COURSE, that's Number 19

I would like to be gentle because on one level I like this, a lot. There's the almost painful silvery green opening, which was my absoute favorite , the flowers, the hair of oak moss, and now, at the end, what smells like just a little ylang ylang. But it's the memories that I have attached this to, and I can't even pin the specific person or place to whom this goes (I visited a lot of elderly relatives as a child), but it just smells like nursing home, specifically the personal care products that were provided for residents back in the 80s, but with a faint whiff of bathroom. Knowing that urine and feces share some notes with flowers like lilies, this should come as no shock, but the trace of poop absolutely kills it. It's so likeable until my brain registers those notes. And, this being fragrance, it may smell far different on you - I seem to be in the minority here; heaven knows I wish this smelled better on me, because it's so nostalgic... it's just the wrong kind of nostalgia. The part of an eight year old who never wants to get old, who would like to be outside playing instead of cooped up here with a relative she doesn't know, the part that feels guilty because Grandma clearly does and is so happy to be here and the part that feels like a little jerk for not being a better behaved child.

I mean, don't you kind of want to try it now just to see how it smells on you? It's weird, I'll never put this on again, but I'll feel a great reverence for those who came before me and this perfume for its ability to bring me back.

on 6/20/2016 5:30:00 AM

Hair: Grey, Other, Other

I ordered a back up bottle today, the equivalent of building a bunker at the edge of the millennium, I fear world war and pestilence. I'm told there is a movie where Adolf HItler wakes up, bemused, and finds that the bullet that blitzed his brain simply sent him to sleep for 70 years.
He's back, and I imagine the fields of Iris pallida and Rose de Mai as scorched earth. Coco, no angel where the Nazi's were concerned, inspired the perfume that is No 19 and I adore it. As many others vocalise this is my one and only, if I wasn't totally unfaithful to any one perfume.

For a more detailed breakdown of what No 19 is driven by (no aldehydes, no labdanum, little oak moss) see Elena from Perfume Shrine's article. It's a perfume that is driven as much by what it doesn't contain as what it does contain, It is a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma; but perhaps there is a key. It's beautiful, just beautiful, forever and a day, until the 12th of never.

on 3/17/2015 8:14:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral

I don't really get the rave reviews of No.19. I'm going to give it 2 lippies because it's OK. I sometimes like wearing my Chanel No.19 EDP to business meetings when I want to come across and feel a bit conservative, matured, yet quite inoffensive.
The scent is very old-school and old-fashioned for me. It's way too harsh for the first couple of minutes and then I only smell a hand soap, that's it. Will definitely not repurchase after I finish (if ever) the bottle that I got as a gift...

This is one of my top 5 favorites of Chanel perfumes. I absolutely love No.19 in edt. Mossy, Cool, Green, woody and casual with an aire of mystery and sophistication. Like being in a lush forest, sort of dry but not stuffy, slightly detached but not cold. I always feel clean and wonderful when I wear this.This is a perfect scent, the projection is great to for an edt. Lasts quite a while with little whiffs here and there. The edp is beautiful as well, there are lots of notes in this perfume. I can detect a rose heart but it's very subtle, still green creamy and wonderful. Takes me back to a bygone era. A very nostalgic fragrance.

on 8/11/2015 9:28:00 PM

People always fuss about No. 5.

They really need to know that No. 19 exists.

Firstly, No. 19 doesn't look like the urine of a dehydrated workaholic in desperate need of water.

Secondly, the scent of this perfume smells like spring in winter, a new budding bloom snap frozen in a droplet of ice. It's both refreshing, fresh, and crisp. The most discernible notes are floral, highlighted by a contrasting heavier woodsy base notes. The combination elevates this scent to a more mature territory instead of flirty and girly.

A little goes a long way. It's a tease, like the aroma of dessert before you see it. This perfume is haughty. I don't know why but that word comes to mind. It's unapologetic, not bold or in your face but sedate and steady, simply there.

I recommend you ask for a small sample or try some on in a department store and going outside to notice the effects, because it'll be rapidly overwhelmed by other scents in the perfume department. If you spray a LOT on, you don't get the light refreshing hits of rose and flowers, you get the woodsy layers punching through, and that's not what any girl aims for unless she's trying to out man her ex-bf.

on 11/13/2015 10:31:00 AM

If I had to wear only one perfume for the rest of my life... this would be it. I love the smell. The first moments after applications it smells stark and woody, but then it settles down to a lovely, sweet, and sophisticated scent.
The only reason I don't give a full score is because I wished it lasted longer on the skin.

on 11/28/2014 6:17:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Back in the '80's I like No 19 - but it seems different tome now.
Not sure if it's my nose or if the formula has changed?
Kinda powdery/aledhydic to me now.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

Omg I fell in love with this perfume. I think I've found the one, my signature smell. So many different notes in one bottle.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

My first review! I bought this one yesterday, my first bottle, edp 50ml. I've smelled only the bottle for so long time and hated it but for some days ago I sprayed it on my wrist for the first time and I fell in love directly. I almost never like the topnotes in perfumes because it's always to strong and harsh in the beginning so I waited some hours to smell my wrist and then it was perfect, the kind of perfume i've been looking for without really knowing it. I've read a lot about it and it seems that it smells very different depend on who's wearing it. On me it's lovely, ultra feminine, soapy (which i totally love), fresh and so classic. It's doesn't last as long as it should, a perfume for this price and brand should deliver more on that front. I also think it's boring that the small bottle (35ml) is so ugly.. The bigger bottle is so beautiful, my favorite design ever. The reason why i don't going to buy it again is because i think it will last forever! I love it!

on 12/18/2014 2:30:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Neutral

EDT Review

I was bought this as an 18th birthday present by my mother, and I adore it. The scent is fresh and green, without being too overpowering. It's also a very androgynous scent, with lovely woody notes to it. I find it works in all situations, but being a student, it is most definitely the most sophisticated perfume I own, and the one I wear for 'dressy' events

Popular Fragrances