3.7

price range

Reviews

1.0

2 months ago

I bought this as a first step cleanser for traveling, because oils are tricky to pack and there’s always the risk of leakage. I usually buy the cleansing balm from Heimish, but because I love The Ordinary, I was really excited to give this squalane cleanser a try. It was so disappointing! I mean, if you don’t wear much base, you’ll probably be okay, but for my trip to Thailand, this could hardly remove my sunscreen at the end of the day. Eye makeup? I had to buy an oil because if I had to rub my poor eyes with this, it would ruin them. Back to cleansing balms for me.

About reviewer (907 reviews)

Age44-55

SkinCombination, Fair

HairBlond

EyesHazel

2 months ago

It is really an affordable primer that works great, it doesn't have an oily feeling and it doesn't leave the skin dry. Here is my video which shows how it removes makeup. (It's straight to the point, no drama, no dogs, my family isn't involved, I am not walking around and talking about random stuff which is happening in my life... etc.. just a simple review how people used to do it a few decades ago...) <object onclick="ga('send', {hitType: 'event',eventCategory: 'Ajax Interaction',eventAction: 'PlayVideo',eventLabel: ''});" width="360" height="320"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/x3LmxyxjJBA"><param name="wmode" value="transparent"><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/x3LmxyxjJBA" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="360" height="320"></object>

About reviewer (234 reviews)

Age19-24

SkinCombination, Fair, Neutral

HairBlond, Wavy, Medium

4 months ago

I bought this after a huge disappointment of trying out a lot of cleanser since my previous cleanser is out and it cant buy it in Canada. I didnt expect it to be more like a makeup remover. It removed my sunscreen and makeup very well that i didnt have any pimple after. Anyway, if I dont use another foaming cleanser after, my skin feels not smooth in the morning. So I mostly use it as a makeup remover and it does its job well.

About reviewer (91 reviews)

SkinCombination, Medium

HairBrown

EyesBlack

4 months ago

I surprisingly love this. I squeeze out a quarter size dollop of this and rub my fingers together until it turns invisible, and then slowly spread it across my face until the consistency is very slippery like an oil. Which brings me to my second point: This is a fabulous cleanser for a face massage. I love the self-care of taking the time to thoroughly cleanse my skin and giving my face a good workout at the same time. Because I spent a while massaging my skin, I find that this does actually take off waterproof makeup quite well, but you have to take your time with it as it's not as fast or efficient as other cleansers. I used a toner afterwards and found no trace of makeup left behind, which is great! To me this is just a slower version of a regular oil cleanser, but much easier to travel with, and not to mention, quite inexpensive as well. No need for pumps because it's a solid balm, that turns into an oil, that emulsifies with water. Recommended, and will buy again.

About reviewer (130 reviews)

SkinOily, Medium, Warm

HairBlack, Straight, Fine

5 months ago

I had ordered this from the Ordinary. I like that it is a balm-type cleanser that is in a squeeze tube as this is great for removing makeup and won't strip your skin. I imagine this would be great for someone with dry skin. I do think the amount you get isn't a lot as I went through this pretty fast, but for 8 bucks you really can't complain. I would purchase again.

About reviewer (321 reviews)

Age36-43

SkinCombination, Fair, Neutral

HairBrown, Other, Medium

5 months ago

With dry, mature and aging skin I am always searching for the best noninvasive regimen for my skin. I’ve used many expensive brands, CeraVe, etc. Decided to give The Ordinary a try as they didn’t make outrageous claims. I love this stuff. I was surprised at how well it actually removed my makeup without stripping skin. I invested in the entire regimen: Buffet, Retinoid, Hyaluronic, EUK, rose hip oil, and moisturizer. In two weeks I see such a big difference. Skin tone and color are improved, pores reduced, no skin reaction, and makeup applies beautifully after using the regimen. Highly recommend

About reviewer (26 reviews)

Age56 & Over

SkinDry, Fair, Cool

HairSilver, Straight, Medium

5 months ago

I adore this cleanser. For reference I have combo/dehydrated skin. It does take a little bit of working into the skin before it becomes truly oily, but I use this as an opportunity for a little facial massage in my routine! If I'm wearing make up, it perfectly removes it and I follow up with a second cleanse straight after, again with this product. It never strips my skin and has never broken me out. I buff it off with a muslin cloth for mild exfoliation, then splash my face after for a final rinse and find it doesn't leave any residue. A little goes a long way too, but I am happy a larger size it out now. My staple cleanser from now on!

About reviewer (5 reviews)

SkinCombination, Fair

HairBrunette

7 months ago

I love having a balm/oil cleanser in a squeezy tube and not the typical tub style packaging for a change, although I wouldn’t exactly call this a balm or an oil cleanser. It looks, smells, and feels like you are spreading Elmer’s glue all over your face. It never really turns into an actual oil but when you add water it turns into a milky cleanser that foams up a bit. It’s definitely like nothing I’ve used before. The tube makes it super easy to bring with you for an overnight stay, or a longer vacation, not to mention the fact you don’t have to stick your fingers in it and get it all up under your nails. This comes in two sizes, 50ml and 150ml so I guess they were listening when people asked for a larger size than what was originally launched. It’s a decent enough balm cleanser but I wouldn’t use only this, rather it is step one in the double cleanse process at night. Maybe it is fine to use on it’s own but I’m conditioned to do the double (for now anyway). I haven’t had any issues using this but I’m not sure it will be a repeat purchase product for me. I have assembled a small arsenal of products from TO that I couldn’t be more pleased with. I love the packaging, the simplicity of ingredients and the price. It’s gets an overall average rating because I have others I’d rather reach for.

About reviewer (951 reviews)

Age44-55

SkinNormal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

HairBrunette, Wavy, Medium

7 months ago

Summary: - Poised between 3 and 4 stars (would repurchase? Idk) - Wonderful for non-stripping, gentle, fragrance -free cleansing (am) when I'm just putting oil and/or sunscreen on top - Does leave a slight film (oil) on skin which is great for avoiding water evaporation, but not so great if I want to use it before with certain water loving products /ingredients such as HA or glycerin - Does not remove my eye makeup very well - I need to use a quarter sized dollop to get this to effectively clean and rinse off. The tube is way too small for very many quarter sized amounts. Overall impressions: So I've been using this for a couple weeks and i just don't find that I can remove eye makeup (non waterproof), heavy sunscreen, powder, and the sparse amount of bb cream that I use WITHOUT USING A TON OF PRODUCT (and it's a very small tube). I do like it very much as a gentle morning cleanser (or in the evening if I've stayed indoors and have no sunscreen or powder or other makeup to get off). For those purposes, a bb to pea size amount is sufficient. I wish it emusified a bit better on contact with water but other than that I would rate this a 4 star cleanser for mornings cleansing. I would repurchase this as I like to use gentle morning cleansers at least 3-4 days a week. As the multi tasking makeup remover/cleanser they've marketed as, though, I can only give it 3 stars unless they double the amount of product for the price (this is a bit off brand, as TO us usually has very generous amounts of products with super affordable prices). ---- 1ST USE: The Ordinary Squalane Cleanser was not what I had hoped it would be and what the company describes: a gentle makeup remover and cleanser in one. I'll start by saying that I do not use waterproof mascara. I do use a fairly heavy / greasy mineral sunscreen (Neutrogena Baby) on my undereyes/lids, followed by sunscreen (physical or chemical, depending) on the rest of my face, a BB cream on my undereyes/lids, liquid eyeshadow, then liquid/pencil eyeliner and a fairly light (non waterproof) mascara. I thought this would melt off my eye makeup and cleanse off all the mineral sunscreen/ loose powder on the rest of my face in one step. I did a test and took off my eye makeup on one eye the normal way (jojoba oil on a cotton pad, followed with a wet cotton pad for any residue). For the other eye, and the rest of my face, I tried to cleanse with this cleanser as indicated. The directions said to rub the product between my palms until it turned into oil, rub it into my face, and rinse with warm water. This method didn't melt my mineral sunscreen off very well (I checked with a magnifying mirror) and left a considerable amount of eye makeup behind. The way I got this to work for me (pretty well) was to put a pea-sized amount of this product into a silipat brush, add water, and fold/rub the pad together. This caused the cleanser to emulsify (it turns kind of foamy) and it was easy to cleanse my face with it after that. It left my skin feeling clean but not over-stripped. So I think I STILL need to remove my eye makeup the old way, with oil and cotton pads but cleanse with this cleanser a brush/ emulsify it with water. I'll have to try this again, as I actually used this product twice to get it to work so I'm not sure if the first go-around as directed got half of the stuff off of my face. Also, the way I got it to work is in no way what the company intended so I'm not sure what to make of that. I do think it's promising (as a gentle cleanser), it's just not what I thought it would be (a one step makeup remover and cleanser). Only giving this three stars until I figure out if it works (not as directed, just one pass) and make sure that it doesn't break me out. -- Product description quote, TO website: &quot;A gentle cleansing product formulated to target makeup removal whilst leaving the skin feeling smooth and moisturized. The formula incorporates Squalane, alongside other lipophilic esters that are gentle, moisturizing, efficient in dissolving makeup and facial impurities and increasing the spreadability of the product. &quot;

About reviewer (180 reviews)

Age36-43

SkinAcne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

HairOther, Wavy, Medium

EyesOther

8 months ago

All my skincare is from Deciem. They are so innovative, their products do what they promise and this one is no exception! I knew the Squalane Cleanser is for me, just reading the ingredient list and it’s vegan and cruelty free. I use a hazelnut size and gently melt the creamy texture with my fingers in my palm for 30 seconds or so and it then becomes an oil. It is very efficient in cleansing my face (I wear mineral sunscreen every day) rinses off easily and leaves my face so soft. No more stingy eyes. The tube lasted me 9-10 weeks and I am now on my second one. They promised to make a bigger one!

About reviewer (7 reviews)

Age19-24