3.7

price range

Reviews

3.0

a year ago

This isn't my first Guerlain foundation, I like it, but it isn't a love..I prefer foundations without silicones, but in truth as long as it goes on fluid and smooth, I don't care...This foundation is interesting , it goes on kind of nice but you have to work it...in the end, I don't feel my skin is a lot better with it on !? The choice of Colors is real good...i feel it is almost for all skin types, maybe more for normal..i have it, I use it, but it isn't my first choice if it makes sense..it has a nice smell, the bottle is ok for me...it doesn't waow me, and the natural thing doesn't change much in my opinion..maybe I find the concept too gimmicky, I don't care that my beauty products carry politically correct messages..it is a nice one, nothing more for me.

About reviewer (290 reviews)

Age56 & Over

SkinNormal, Fair, Cool

HairBlond, Straight, Fine

EyesBlue

a year ago

What a great foundation this is! I am absolutely thrilled by the fact that - for the FIRST time!! - an high end luxury brand has finally lauched a NO SILICONES foundation. I am ravished. I have a problem with silicones - combo skin here - I get clogged pores and milia and that's a disaster; so I removed them 100% from my skincare - if I place a silicone-based cream or serum or primer as a first step - I mean at direct contact on my skin - I get bumps in a a matter of hours. I have been triying to eliminate silicones from my make us as much as I could, however foundations still bear a lot of 'cones, and even if they are not causing me the same trouble as silicone-based creams, they still cause buildup in my pores. Until I found L'Essentiel. It is made with 97-percent naturally-derived ingredients. And that's a good starting point. Pacakging is beyond marvellous: it's like a little piece of design for your vanity: two spheres one on the other. That's art. Shades: there is an extented shade range, however in Italy- or at least where I live - we do not get them all. I managed to count 15 of them at my local Guerlain stockist, the good news is that they are (finally!) grouped by undertones: Warm (W) Neutral(N) and Rosy (R). Yay! I am a NW 15-20 with yellow undertones, and I bought shade 03W. It is a tad (just a tiny bit) dark for me now, but the 02W was too light. I did not buy the brush becasue it is way too exepensive for what it is - and I own way too many foundation brushes to justify a small one for 57 Euros - however its design is again superb. The shade fits me brilliantly: even if a tad darker, I like how it adapts to my tone and reflects the light. Onto the foundation: The texture gives a fresh feeling, melting, just perfect to build up the coverage from light to medium with one layer. It is a "My skin but better" sort of foundation BUT it does cover my dark spots, AND it still looks like skin. Two layers and you get a pretty solid coverage. But is still manages to look like skin. The finish is a natural glow that dries to a powdery/satin finish, it is not tacky or wet, but I do set it with powder anyway.. I like the finish; imperfections are concealed and reduced, skin looks even but you barely can feel you are wearing foundation: the formula lets the skin breathe and moisturizes in the meantime. Does not set apart, does not oxidise (like many organic foundation do, they are natural but their performance is poor), does not cake and IT STAYS PUT!! That's the big news: a no-silicone foundation that stays put for a solid 8 hours is something unheard of. Yes, it is expensive because it retails for over 52 Euros here. It has a scented formula - lovely Guerlain scent by the way - but beware if you don't like scented makeup. However to me this is THE foundation of 2019 and I recommend you try it, as it is a winner. Ingredients Aqua (water), C9-12 Alkane, Glycerin, Propanediol, Polyglyceryl-6 Polyricinoleate, Silica, Titanium Dioxide , C15-19 Alkane, Vp/eicosene Copolymer, Dicaprylyl Carbonate, Polyglyceryl-2 Isostearate, Coco-caprylate/caprate, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Sorbitan Sesquiisostearate, Parfum (fragrance), Caesalpinia Spinosa Fruit Extract, Alpha-glucan Oligosaccharide, Sodium Myristoyl Glutamate, Stearic Acid, Sodium Citrate, Xanthan Gum, Alumina, Polyhydroxystearic Acid, Cellulose, Potassium Sorbate, Kappaphycus Alvarezii Extract, Polymnia Sonchifolia Root Juice, Citric Acid, Butylene Glycol, Aluminum Hydroxide, Maltodextrin, Lactobacillus, Tocopherol, Theobroma Cacao (cocoa) Seed Extract, <+/- CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499 (iron oxides), CI 77891 (titanium dioxide), CI 77947 (zinc oxide)>.

About reviewer (1019 reviews)

Age44-55

SkinCombination, Fair, Warm

HairBlond, Other, Fine

EyesGreen

a year ago

This is my very first Guerlain foundation and I must say that it is a keeper (for those with normal or drier skin types). L'Essentiel is a newer launch and this product claims to give natural, long-wearing and glowing finish. While there are 30 shades available, which is a good amount for an old-school high-end brand like Guerlain, finding your match can be a touch tricky (especially since medium-dark tones dry down a touch darker). Thankfully 02N works like magic for my light-neutral complexion and it does not change colour once it sets. You can easily go from light to medium coverage by adding an extra pump. I like that I can still see my skin glow through it. It doesn't accentuate pores, but can settle into lines a bit, so do set with powder. This foundations lasts for 8+ hours on me, without fading or getting blotchy, so I guess it is safe to say that it lives to its claims. I share more application tips, makeup look and thoughts on this product in a separate review here for those of you interested (https://www.nayatilly.com/single-post/2019/02/26/Guerlain-LEssentiel-Natural-Glow-Foundation-Review). Hope it helps!

About reviewer (553 reviews)

Age25-29