essence Velvet Matte Lipstick

1 review

Price: $

Price: $

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Recently, Essence released the Velvet Matte lipstick range, which I believe is replacing the Matt Matt Matt range. Now, I loooooove the Matt Matt Matt lipsticks, but the improvements made in the Velvet Matte range are huge!

I purchased the shade Greedy Coffee, which is a pretty, medium-dark terracotta. The color is gorgeous. It's got that deep, earthy tone that I love, but has a tad bit of coolness to it that keeps it from pulling too orange. I've never really used a color like this before, so I can't really think of any dupes, but it's very unique.

The formula is a real standout. In a way, I feel Essence has a sort of revolutionary formula with this range. It applies sooooo creamy with no tugging at all, and over time, settles down to a truly velvety finish. I find that most mattes, no matter how creamy they may apply, tend to just feel a bit dry rather than soft and velvety, but these are comfortable and smooth throughout wear. As this lipstick dries down, it really morphs into a super long-wearing finish that doesn't appear clumpy, cakey, or flaky. My lips never look parched while wearing this lipstick, and they never feel super dry either. It does need to be applied after eating, but that seems to be par for the course with any non-liquid lipstick formula. That being said, it outlasts any other stick formula lip color that I've tried.

The packaging is cute but a tad bulky, as it's a stout hourglass shape. I do enjoy that the cap is color-coordinated to the lipstick shade, but it's not an accurate depiction. But, if nothing else, the shape of the tube and the colored cap allow for easy identification in my makeup bag, so there's that. The bullet does swivel all the way down, and the cap feels secure, so no points off really on packaging for me. As long as the packaging is secure, that's all that really matters to me.

These are $4 at Ulta, which is an incredible price for such a great lipstick. Plus, you get nearly 3.7g of product, which exceeds the amount you get with most other brands. $4 for a vegan, cruelty-free, high-performing lipstick, AND you get more of it?! Sign me up!

I'll be heading to Ulta today to pick up additional shades. (If there's one negative, it's that I can see a more diverse shade range, but perhaps they'll expand on it as they see how well the first release does.) Well done, Essence!

Edit: Picked up Dusty Romance (GREAT KVD Lovecraft dupe!!) and Donuts Go Nut (brown-hued nude and what kind of a name is that?!). Both are amazing shades and perform just as beautifully as Greedy Coffee, however the Donuts Go Nut tube seems to have less lipstick in it. The bullet is thinner than the other two shades that I have. I thought the first one I grabbed was a fluke so I exchanged it, and the second tube had the same issue. So Essence may want to check their molds for that one!