Morphe The Vault - Dark Magic Eyeshadow Palette

Morphe The Vault - Dark Magic Eyeshadow Palette

3.0

So I had really high hopes for this palette. I have been in the market for something with a more unique color variety than the cool-toned/bronze neutrals that are permeating the market and I thought this was the answer to my prayers. However, the color payout that you get does not align with the colors that are seen in the palette. It takes pressing hard on the pan with a brush, for even the matte shades, to get even a hint of the color you see in the pan. also the colors are not what they appear to be. The color 'inside job' looks pretty green in the pan but applies a more blue-teal color which is not what I expected or even wanted. Its not nearly as green as it leads on. Also the more khaki green 'potion' applies like a lime green. The shimmer shades also take a lot of effort to yield color with. I had to wet my brush and dip several times to even get the shade on the brush which shouldn't have been so difficult. I honestly expected better quality compared to other morphe non-collab palettes however it just wasn't there. I'm still gonna try and use it and I didn't hate what I got color wise, It just wasn't what I expected.

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Neutral

The Dark Magic palette performs beautifully. The mattes are dry but still easy to blend. However, the easiest way to work with them is to pack them onto the area you want them to be, then blend them out. I had to get used to this, particularly when using mattes as transition shades, but I quickly got used to it. Working with greens is definitely different than my usual warm tones, which in general seem easier to blend.

The 6 matte shades are all very pigmented except for "Potion", which is like a toned-down chartreuse shade. It also proved a bit more difficult to blend than the others. Again, the "pack and blend the edges" technique is best for these mattes. Instead of building them up gradually, you need to pack on a bunch and diffuse them.

The shade "Temptress", which is a matte black base with some glitter in it, blended easily but had some more fallout than the other shades. I don't use this shade much except when I want to darken up a matte shade underneath it.

The 3 shimmers are gorgeous even when used dry. They produce very little fallout, although I will say "Trickery" has more fallout than the other two shimmers. They don't fade much on my oily lids, but that could be because I usually use them on top of the matte shades. "Power Cut" is fun to layer lightly on top of the darker matte greens like "Inside Job" and "Busted". Also, "Diversion" looks like a brown shimmer in the pan but on the lids, it looks like it wants to be a brown/gold duochrome but is failing. Still a pretty shade!

Overall, the shadows wear very well with a good eyeshadow primer. I love the colours and I don't mind learning a new application technique to make these work. Even though it's mostly greens, the browns keep the palette grounded.
For myself personally, I wish there was more contrast between "Inside Job" and "Trickery" because they really seem to be the same colour in different finishes. Also, "Poof" and "Shh" are much too light for my skin and do not really show up on me, so those shades are kind of being neglected, except if I want to set my eyeshadow primer (which I don't do as much when the weather gets dry). All the shades except "Potion" have excellent pigmentation.
This palette is best suited if you want to do variants of a smokey eye. Otherwise, not too versatile but definitely fun. 4/5 rating.