Kat Von D Fetish Blush + Highlighter Palette

1 review

on 10/15/2018 12:53:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Straight, Coarse

The Fetish blush & highlight palette contains three shades of highlights in the brand's Metal Crush formula [the Metal Crush highlighters were inspired by KvD Beauty fans using the now-discontinued Metal Crush eyeshadow shades as highlighters], so don't expect a subtle highlight here; we're talking microglitter, and highly pigmented bases with an opalescent finish; Roseshock [pink], Magick [peach] and Telepathy [lavender]. The microglitter/shimmer is finely milled, weightless and it doesn't outlive the bases to the highlighters - such an important factor. When I look straight-on into a mirror after application I can't see anything, but when I turn my head the powders catch the light and flash intensely. A perfect highlighter - it's not just sitting there as a strip of colour on skin ala Adam Ant. When I apply my makeup in the morning I'll sometimes use a setting spray, but I found that the highlighter will last until I'm ready to remove my makeup in the evening no matter if I use one or not.

As the highlighters are intense, the coordinating blush shades are light and have simple matte finishes; Bathory [pink], Salem [peach] and Coven [lavender]. I think that the blushes all apply and wear well - I'll apply my makeup in the morning and the powder almost seems to melt into my skin, resulting in a natural looking finish. Then it will last until I take it off at the end of the day.

The highlighters are universal, so can be worn on any skintone. However two of the blush shades in this palette are pretty light [Salem and Coven], so I think that you need to have fair or light skin, to get the most use out of the palette; I have a similar skintone to Kat so I'm loving them, but I can definitely see where other people are going to struggle. I can understand that the products were developed for and tested on Kat Von D herself, but this is a big downside to the product. Having the shade selections be too reliant on the wearer having a certain skintone instantly cuts of a lot of the brand's fans who are going to want to rush out and buy the palette. So for those with medium to darker skintones I'd recommend skipping the Fetish blush & highlight palette and looking elsewhere - the powers that be didn't think this product release through.