L'Oreal Paradise Eyeshadow Palette - Cherry My Cheri

3.0

1 review

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Straight, Coarse

The Cherry My Cheri palette contains 16 powder eyeshadow shades, based around a colour story of "warm cherries, sweet peaches and fresh neutrals". The shadows have a delicate sunfruit fragrance [so soft that I need to have my nose up against the palette to detect it, after the palette has been opened a few times]. This palette is fairly impressive as it is neither too warm or too cool and can be used for a variety of complete 'everyday' eye looks for work or school, with a variety of shades to flatter every skintone. I have liked the majority of looks I've done to date. The blendability is mostly good - I've noticed that layering a matte shadow over a shimmer one when shadowing the edges of the eye can be iffy to blend out. There isn't much fallout. To get a good idea about the wearability of the shadows, I haven't been using eyeshadow primer with this palette and found that the shadows all wear all day, with no ceasing.

I do have a issue with there only being seven truly matte shades, as some of the other 'matte' shades have specks of shimmer in. The configuration is somewhat limiting, as you'd be able to create more looks if some of the shimmers had also been mattes - the more attractive shades are transfer-prone shimmers, so are only really suitable for the lid. My biggest complaint and question is what happened to the colour story promised on the back of the palette? There wasn't a tester in the store and when I got home and opened the palette, I found that only 1 [out of 3] peachy shades isn't a tone I'd call neutral, and only 2 [out of 3] of the warmer richer/darker tones are things I look at and think "I see where the cherry name comes in." - and then only 1 of those shades (the bright peach) keeps it's colour when applied to the eyes. So that's 13 neutral shades and 2 semi-pigmented cherry-tones in a 16-pan, fruit-themed palette and quite a few of the light and mid-tone neutrals end up looking pretty much the same after they've been applied and blended. I'd have much preferred it if some of the close-matching neutral shades hadn't been included and they'd have included some more pops of colour to replace them - expanding on the fruity colour story a bit.

I don't exactly regret buying this palette; the shades are still pretty, the formulas are a good quality for the price and the amount of product you get is impressive for a drugstore brand [each pan is just over 1g]. I continue to use the palette on occasion, but I wouldn't bother replacing it if I lost or damaged it as it just sits around unloved most of the time. If there hadn't been a 3-for-2 offer on L'Oréal cosmetics and I'd been looking for a similarly priced 3rd item to go with the 2 things that I'd already picked, then I don't think that there's anything unique or bold enough in Cherry My Cheri to make it stand out from the crowd and I'd have passed it over.

I do think that this would make a nice 'everyday' option for those who enjoy softer looks with a occasional muted-colour pop. It's also a good starter palette for those new to eyeshadow and/or colour - you can dip your toes in and experiment with this palette, without spending much money.

Popular Palettes