Makeup Revolution X Soph Extra Spice Eyeshadow Palette

Makeup Revolution  X Soph Extra Spice Eyeshadow Palette

4.5

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

This is my favorite eyeshadow palette from the drugstore! The mattes are quite pigmented, blendable and the colors all work well together! The silver and the gold shimmers are both outstanding, very metallic! This palette really complements Soph’s first collab, but this one works better with medium to darker skintone so I prefer this one 100 times more! I also love that it has a mirror and the packaging is just gorgeous😍

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Straight, Coarse

The Extra Spice palette contains 18 powder eyeshadows, and this palette has four different finishes to the powders; Everyday (very pale purple with a white shift, duo-chrome finish), Vitamin C (canary yellow, matte finish), Brownies (deep brown, matte finish), Running Late (carrot orange, matte finish), Sweet N Sour (electric orange, matte finish), Chocolate Orange (sienna brown, matte finish), Infinity (silver, metallic finish), Twenty One (cerise pink, matte finish), Mulled Wine (red violet, matte finish), Cheesecake (chestnut brown, matte finish), Romance (burgundy with a pink shift, shimmer finish), LA Sun (gold, shimmer finish), Cookie Dough (soft brown, matte finish), Enchanted (wine purple, matte finish), Aurora (khaki green, shimmer finish), Dreams (warm champagne, shimmer finish), Lakes (dark olive green, matte finish) and Reputation (charcoal black, matte finish).

I can tell that a lot of thought went into the colour selections for this palette; the shades are wearable, can be worn on all skin tones and they actually compliment each other. I really enjoy this palette and will use it regularly as the powders are so easy to work with considering the low price-point, the shades can be worn all year round and either dressed up or toned down to fit any occasion. The pigmentation of the products in this palette is good for a mass-market drugstore brand, and everything wears well on my drier skin - there is some kick-up when I dip my brushes into the pans, but that is something that never really bothers me as long as the powders apply and performs well, which these do. A much nicer quality compared to my other Revolution palettes - and better than my Revolution Pro one too.

My main niggle is that a couple of the shades are too similar to each other or/and shadows in the original palette once applied, so maybe a few more bolder shades could have been included seeing that this palette is meant to be a spicy complimentary companion to the first one and not a remastered version of the original, so we don't need the same kind of easily-found toned-down 'everyday' options repeated. The shades Vitamin C and Reputation are the only real disappointments for me - both are very patchy and under-pigmented so the colours are wishy-washy. All of the darker shades take a bit more work, but that's to be expected in a low-cost mass-market eyeshadow palette.

This palette has lots of the same kind of 'everyday' neutral mattes and shimmers that are in the first Soph palette, plus I prefer the bolder colour pops and additions of duo chromes & a blingy metallic finish that you get in Extra Spice, so I wish that I'd skipped the first Soph eyeshadow palette and had gone straight to this one; we're getting the same sort of shades in a better quality of formula and in a better quality of palette - the palette feels more substantial and the shade names are printed underneath the pans this time. I watch a few smaller beauty channels on YouTube, but I'd actually never heard of SophDoesNails before discovering the first Soph eyeshadow palette, so having a certain name on the palette doesn't sway my opinion of it one way or the other.

The Soph - Extra Spice eyeshadow palette can be bought from the Revolution site for £10 and it'll be coming to stores soon.