Kristin Ess - The One Purple Shampoo

No Image

1 review

I DIY dye my hair light ash blonde and have tried a number of violet shampoos to battle warm, brassy, or yellow tones. Having damaged hair, I prefer to use an SLS free shampoo. If you don't know, it *really* makes a difference to cut out SLS if you have damaged, color treated hair. Unfortunately, there aren't a lot of SLS-free purple shampoos. The only other one I've tried is the Joico Color Endure Violet shampoo (which I liked).

Anyway, I have not tried any other products from Kristin Ess, but when I saw an SLS-free purple shampoo in their line I decided to try it out.

I've now had this shampoo for around a month and it's my new favorite purple shampoo, with or without SLS. First of all, the toning power is insane. Definitely the strongest of any purple shampoo I've personally tried. I left it on for around 5 minutes the first time I used it, and I wound up with a lavender streak in my lightest blonde strand of hair. Please take my advice and when you first use it, try washing this shampoo right out and see if you need to leave it in for longer next time. Now that I know how strong it is, I don't leave this shampoo in for any length of time at all - I just wash it out right away like I would a normal shampoo, and that's more than sufficient for me to get the icy, ashy blonde I want. This is a good thing, because shampoo is drying and I don't want to have to leave it in my hair longer if I don't have to, plus obviously it saves time in the shower. For the record, I wash my hair twice a week and alternate between this purple shampoo and a non-toning SLS free Live Clean shampoo. I don't need to use the toning shampoo every wash.

The shampoo also cleans effectively without stripping my hair. I've found this to be true with most SLS-free shampoos. My hair feels and looks less damaged after using them compared with using a shampoo with SLS, and I know in the long term it's helping my hair repair itself. The Kristin Ess Purple shampoo in particular leaves my hair feeling clean but super soft. Compared with the SLS-free formula Joico Color Endure Violet shampoo, the Kristin Ess shampoo leaves my hair feeling more moisturized and soft.

Finally, this shampoo smells really, really good, and the package is adorable. Honestly, the bottle and fragrance make it seem like it should be high end - it just looks and smells expensive - so I'm happy the price is pretty reasonable.

Bottom line, this is my new HG toning shampoo and I sincerely hope it never gets discontinued.

ETA: I feel like a weirdo returning to this review so soon, but last weekend I colored and toned my hair (Wella T18 + Wella 050 cooling violet), and I noticed the next day it still was somehow an unpleasant shade of yellow. So frustrating that for some reason my usual toning routine didn't work. That night I washed with the Kristin Ess purple shampoo, not leaving it in for any longer than it took to work through my hair, and not really expecting any results if even Wella T18 couldn't pull it off. But when my hair was dry I had that perfect, frosty ice queen ash blonde. The shampoo had achieved what a very popular toner + developer could not - at least not on its own. I love it! Bought a backup bottle.