Dior Backstage Face & Body Foundation

Filtered by hair type : Curly
Dior Backstage Face & Body Foundation
Backstage Face & Body FoundationBackstage Face & Body FoundationBackstage Face & Body Foundation

3.0

Cyclopentasiloxane, Aqua, Alcohol, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Polyurethane-35, PEG-9 Polydimethylsiloxyethyl Dimethicone, Phenyl Trimethicone, Glycerin, Silica, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Sodium Myristoyl Glutamate, Glyceryl Undecyl Dimethicone, Phenoxyethanol, Propylene Carbonate, VP/VA Copolymer, Tetrasodium EDTA, Parfum, Aluminum Hydroxide, Linalool, Limonene, Citronellol, BHT, Tocopherol

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

I really like this foundation. The finish is quite natural but still covers my redness. I find the longevity excellent, and I have only worn it in steamy summer weather. My skin tends to be dry, but this didn’t cling to my cheeks. It also looked good on my shiny nose.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Curly, Other

This was a hard review to write because I truly believe some people will love this foundation. It was a bad fit for me because of the ingredients, but I also think those ingredients could be deal-breakers for many. That being said, onto the review ;).

When I got this foundation, I did something I NEVER do and slapped it on without reading the ingredients. Within seconds I felt my face start to become tight, itchy, and uncomfortably dry...which usually only means one thing: Bad alcohols (alcohol denat, sd Alcohol-40, benzyl alcohol, alcohol). .
I quickly checked the ingredients and confirmed my fear. Denatured alcohol is the 3rd ingredient. Cyclopentasiloxane is 1st, water 2nd.
I hurriedly took a makeup wipe to my face but left the foundation along my jawlines and chin, purely in the name of science. I also left the crude swatches on my arm to see how they wore (I had to use an oil-based cleansing wipe!).

My thoughts:
Dry skinned folks, those who are prone to dehydration, sensitive to Cyclopentasiloxane, and those who are sensitive to or prefer to avoid bad alcohols, stay farrrrrrrrrr away. This stuff is loaded.
In the 5 minutes it was on my whole face, it made me look like a roadmap and instantly parched my skin (which hasn’t been happening quite as easily as it used to, I finally repaired my lipid barrier). My expression lines looked like canyons and my fine lines, well, they weren’t fine with this stuff on them!

Application with a brush was a breeze and highly suggested. It blends easily as long as you work fairly quickly. Sephora #56 has been best so far, so I suspect the soon-to-launch Dior Backstage Full Coverage Brush will be great with this! Finger application gave a patchy, uneven finish, and the Beauty Blender didn’t work well because the foundation dries down too quickly and is waterproof.

The finish was a natural soft matte bordering on satin, but quickly started to look dry on my mature/dry skin.

Coverage is actually really versatile and really great. I found it to have more initial coverage than MUFE and MAC F&B, and coverage is definitely buildable to nearly full.

I am on the neutral end of NW15 and wear shade 1.5N. Shade 2.0N was very very close also. I definitely suggest getting matched at a counter if you can because these seem to darken a bit as they dry. Do not go by just looking at the bottles either...the frosted plastic makes them look darker in the bottle as well.

The packaging, while minimalistic, sleek, and fuss-free, is messy as heck. It’s a plastic bottle with a tip like that on MAC face and body, but for some reason this one starts flowing from the opening the second it is opened and it gets everywhere. I should note, this one is heavier plastic that the MAC, in case that matters.

Consistency is a bit runny but not super watery or thick either. Reminds me a lot of Dior Forever (original).

The biggest pro besides the wide shade range is: This foundation wears like iron, it truly is transfer proof and waterproof. I cleaned my house, went outside and worked in the flowerbeds in 90 degree heat/awful humidity, swept off my deck, sweated my butt off, changed my clothes, talked on the phone, etc. and it never budged from my jawline OR my arm after 10.5 hours. It took a good solid double cleanse to finally remove it completely. As I mentioned above, the shade range is also a big plus, there are 40 shades with more on the way!

The cost comes in at $40/1oz. which is low-ish for Dior, but high considering the ingredients, IMO.

It was a MONUMENTAL fail for me, but those folks who dig bases like YSL All Hours or can tolerate high concentrations of denatured alcohol/Cyclopentasiloxane, this is definitely one to try! It’s staying power makes me wish bad alcohols weren’t bad and didn’t make look like a wrinkly crypt keeper.

Alas, I know they’re marketing this as “hydrating” and “for all skin types”, but I STRONGLY disagree with these claims.
I would have rated higher because I think those people who are OK with the ingredients and think it’s other qualities sound good, may definitely want to give it a try. Just because I don’t love the ingredient list doesn’t make it unwearable for everyone. However, I just think Dior could’ve done better. A product with THIS much alcohol is certainly NOT suitable for all skin types.

A company like Dior has so many resources at their disposal...this could have been epic, but frankly it is very cheaply formulated. Some may argue the ingredients are necessary for the weartime, but other brands have launched F&B or waterproof foundations with much less harsh formulas.