Dior Backstage Face & Body Foundation

Filtered by skin type : Dry
Dior Backstage Face & Body Foundation
Backstage Face & Body FoundationBackstage Face & Body FoundationBackstage Face & Body Foundation

3.6

Cyclopentasiloxane, Aqua, Alcohol, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Polyurethane-35, PEG-9 Polydimethylsiloxyethyl Dimethicone, Phenyl Trimethicone, Glycerin, Silica, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Sodium Myristoyl Glutamate, Glyceryl Undecyl Dimethicone, Phenoxyethanol, Propylene Carbonate, VP/VA Copolymer, Tetrasodium EDTA, Parfum, Aluminum Hydroxide, Linalool, Limonene, Citronellol, BHT, Tocopherol

on 3/30/2019 12:37:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure

UPDATE: WHILE I LOVE THE COLOR MATCH AND CONSISTENCY OF THIS FOUNDATION, SADLY IT BROKE ME OUT. I WAS HOPING IT WASN'T THE FOUNDATION AND I DID A PROCESS OF ELIMINATION OF PRODUCTS (SKIN CARE AND MAKEUP) TO BE SURE. I USED THE FOUNDATION FOR ALMOST A MONTH AND MY SKIN JUST WASN'T HAVING IT:( ONCE I READ THE INGREDIENT LIST IT MADE SENSE. IT WAS A GRADUAL PROCESS STARTING WITH VERY SMALL SPOTS AND AREAS OF IRRITATION (NOT ALL AT ONCE) AND EVENTUALLY ENDED UP ALL OVER MY CHIN, NOSE AND CHEEKS (VERY MINIMALLY ON MY FOREHEAD WHICH IS WHERE I APPLIED IT THE LIGHTEST). I DID FIND A SUITABLE ALTERNATIVE IN COVER FX (SHADE G+40) WHICH IS EQUALLY STUNNING EXCEPT WITHOUT ALL THE HARSH INGREDIENTS (FORMULAS ARE VEGAN AND CLEAN).

Love, love, love this foundation for many reasons, but specifically because I found my perfect shade (2WO). Light/medium warm olive skin is notoriously difficult to color match. There just aren’t a lot of options out there for my skin tone and I end up having to settle with what I hate the least in foundations. Not this one. It’s buildable without being cakey, not matte nor dewey, but rather a nice satin finish on my skin (I’m mostly dry with slight combo in T-zone). I apply with a sponge as that’s my favorite method of applying. Even though there isn’t a pump (it’s similar packaging to Mac’s Face and Body) I can gauge pretty well what a pump is for me and one “pump” (pour) applied with my sponge covers my entire face with coverage similar to a tinted moisturizer or bb cream. A second pour gives me beautiful medium coverage. If I’m having a bad allergy day and fussing with my nose then inevitably it will disappear from that area or get a little patchy, but that’s true for any foundation. I have tried many, many foundations over the years, both high-end and drug store, and have not had one not get patchy or disappear after wiping my mouth with a napkin or blowing my nose throughout the day. I don’t set it with anything after applying because of my dry skin and it still looks beautiful at the end of my work day. It doesn’t transfer during everyday tasks such as talking on the phone or hugging someone. I can’t say enough about this foundation and thank you hardly seems like enough, but thank you Dior for this amazing product; it’s my holy grail foundation. P.S. it photographs beautifully:)

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Although it leaks a bit when you first use it, the formula is brilliant here.

If you are into your medium coverage, semi-matte foundations - I think you might really love this one. I have dry skin, so did not know what to expect at first, but as long as I exfoliate/moisturize well and use a moderate amount of product - I truly get picture perfect results. Skin looks like skin, but a much better version of it.

I also like the fact that there are 40 shades in the range; 1.5 N turned out to be a perfect match for my light-neutral complexion. Blended easily, set relatively fast and you can easily use either fingers or brushes to add more/less coverage. It is a very buildable formula, just don't get carried away. I personally do not set it with powder, so if you have normal, combo or even oily skin - I think you will love just how long-wearing this product is. I'll leave a link to my in-depth review for those of you who want more details, application tips and makeup look (https://www.partyparrotblog.com/single-post/2018/09/05/Dior-Backstage-Face-Body-Foundation-Review). Hope this helps!

on 8/30/2018 1:17:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I absolutely LOVE this foundation! Looks beautiful on my dry skin. I love the look of it and the lasting power, shade range, but took off a lippie because I really only got it to work using a very precise application method, which is also quite time-consuming, so if I’m in a hurry, this would certainly not be my go-to foundation. The method goes like this:

I apply a thick sunscreen for my dry skin, then immediately apply a light layer of this using my fingers. I give it a few minutes to set then go in with a second layer to spot conceal my problem areas. Then I give that another few minutes to set, then dab those areas with a flat top kabuki brush. That’s when I reach perfection with this, then apply a setting powder. The result really is perfect, but as mentioned earlier, is time-consuming.

I haven’t tried this in the winter though, so that’ll be the ultimate test for my dry skin. I will update this post once I’ve had a chance to wear this for a while in the winter weather.

on 7/15/2018 6:39:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure

I bought the Dior backstage foundation about a week ago and I’ve tried everything to make it work. I’ve tried exfoliating, cleansing, all different types of primers, hydration creams etc etc. however for me it is way too drying. I’m only 20 years old and this foundation gives me crows feet and laughing lines because it’s so dry...
The coverage level is light and i think it could look quite natural on someone with oily skin, for me it looked very chalky. My skin isn’t even THAT dry - I will never get patches of dry skin or anything like that but if I didn’t moisturise I probably would...
Overall I definitely do not recommend to someone with dry skin, if you have oily skin get a tester before buying!!!!
Ps. I got the colour 3 Warm

on 7/11/2018 12:10:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

This foundation is one of my go-to's. I wear it all the time overtop of tarte shape tape. I like that it sets pretty quickly, is matte and looks natural on my skin. The coverage is so-so, but I can get more coverage if I build it up.

The packaging is nice, but inside the cap it gets pretty messy and grubby looking over time. You get a lot too so that's nice.

Also, unlike most foundation, I can get a decent shade match out of this. If you are pale with a yellow undertone you may like this in W0, their lightest shade.

on 6/18/2018 11:10:00 AM

I really wanted to like the Dior BackStage Face and Body Foundation, as I see from other reviews so many others do.  If you wear this you will find that it applies easily and very nicely, looks like real skin, and lasts all day without starting to look greasy.  The shade range is also AMAZING!  They have forty different shades, which is amazing selection.  For many reasons I wanted to love this foundation.   The finish is medium coverage but since the formula is so thin it can be built up very quickly.  It  is a very liquid consistency.

For me, with dry and sensitive skin, I used this without reading the ingredient list like I always do to give each product a fair unbiased try.  The third day using this my skin started to get dry and flaky and started to become very sensitive after washing the foundation off.  Doing my skincare routine at night after the third day I could tell my skin was slightly burning and just irritated to the point where I couldn't use most of my normal products because my skin was so irritated

This is because the third ingredient in the Dior BackStage Face and Body Foundation is denatured alcohol.  Denatured alcohol in larger amounts causes free radical damage and even can cause cell death.  This is something that we should be trying to avoid if and when possible.  I wish DIOR would have used almost any other ingredient other than this.  To top this off this product also contains fragrance, another ingredient that can cause irritation.

**If you like the look and feel of this foundation I HIGHLY recommend you try a sample of the BareMinerals BarePro Foundation, I find the wear of both of these to be similar, except the BareMinerals formula does not contain denatured alcohol or fragrance.  My more detailed video review and swatch can be seen here:

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

I have to say I really love it so far. I am around NC20-25 right now (summer shade) and chose 2WO (2 warm olive). I got this shade as lately I have been mixing an olive mixer into my normal foundation and seem to get good results. This matches me ok but I do want to get matched when it reaches the stores. For now shade adjusters seem to be working for me as my skin tone changes a lot.

Comparing this to Mac Face & Body it has the same qualities as it starts off sheer, and is very buildable. But this is best applied with a brush as far as I can tell, where as Mac needs to be applied with your hands to gain coverage. Mac is more fluid. Dior is also so much easier to remove. They both have the same packaging though. Dior dries down very fast, so you have to apply quickly. Dior also has more shades. Mac breaks me out every time (even on first day) whereas I have no new visitors right now. Dior contain both alcohol and fragrance (stay away from this is you cannot tolerate either at all). Mac has no alcohol.

First layer was very sheer, but thankfully this builds like a dream to a solid medium. It covers my redness really well. I have normal skin right now (but can lean dry sometimes) but after hearing reports about the alcohol not doing people favours I was worried but it seems to be great as long as I moisturise and exfoliate well. The foundation looks natural all day, no caking or disappearing and feels comfortable all day without needing to retouch with powder (do not over powder if you don't have oily skin, or this will make it look drier than desired). Doesn't oxidise (on me personally), is transfer resistant, sweat resistant and wears all day without fading. It plays really nicely with my sunscreen and moisturiser too which is a bonus. There is fragrance but I have smelled stronger fragrance in other Dior foundations, and it does seem to dissipate on dry down. Another thing to add, shake the bottle VERY well before use, then bang on the table to force the air to the top of the bottle before opening. I do this and have not had a mess when using that others have noticed.

Update two weeks later: to my surprise I have experienced no additional dryness/sensitivity. I have been wearing this everyday since launch and my skin is doing so well! I do wonder if its due to my moisturiser and sunscreen, but since alcohol is so high on the list I did think maybe my skin wouldn't tolerate it. But, so far so good! I still love this foundation!

Ingredients:
Cyclopentasiloxane, Aqua, Alcohol, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, polyurethane-35, PEG-9 polydimethylsiloxyethyl dimethicone, phenyl trimethicone, glycerin, silica, disteardimonium hectorite, sodium myristoyl glutamate, glyceryl undecyl dimethicone, phenoxyethanol, propylene carbonate, VP/VA copolymer, tetrasodium edta, parfum, aluminum hydroxide, linalool, limonene, citronellol, bht, tocopherol

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Curly, Other

This was a hard review to write because I truly believe some people will love this foundation. It was a bad fit for me because of the ingredients, but I also think those ingredients could be deal-breakers for many. That being said, onto the review ;).

When I got this foundation, I did something I NEVER do and slapped it on without reading the ingredients. Within seconds I felt my face start to become tight, itchy, and uncomfortably dry...which usually only means one thing: Bad alcohols (alcohol denat, sd Alcohol-40, benzyl alcohol, alcohol). .
I quickly checked the ingredients and confirmed my fear. Denatured alcohol is the 3rd ingredient. Cyclopentasiloxane is 1st, water 2nd.
I hurriedly took a makeup wipe to my face but left the foundation along my jawlines and chin, purely in the name of science. I also left the crude swatches on my arm to see how they wore (I had to use an oil-based cleansing wipe!).

My thoughts:
Dry skinned folks, those who are prone to dehydration, sensitive to Cyclopentasiloxane, and those who are sensitive to or prefer to avoid bad alcohols, stay farrrrrrrrrr away. This stuff is loaded.
In the 5 minutes it was on my whole face, it made me look like a roadmap and instantly parched my skin (which hasn’t been happening quite as easily as it used to, I finally repaired my lipid barrier). My expression lines looked like canyons and my fine lines, well, they weren’t fine with this stuff on them!

Application with a brush was a breeze and highly suggested. It blends easily as long as you work fairly quickly. Sephora #56 has been best so far, so I suspect the soon-to-launch Dior Backstage Full Coverage Brush will be great with this! Finger application gave a patchy, uneven finish, and the Beauty Blender didn’t work well because the foundation dries down too quickly and is waterproof.

The finish was a natural soft matte bordering on satin, but quickly started to look dry on my mature/dry skin.

Coverage is actually really versatile and really great. I found it to have more initial coverage than MUFE and MAC F&B, and coverage is definitely buildable to nearly full.

I am on the neutral end of NW15 and wear shade 1.5N. Shade 2.0N was very very close also. I definitely suggest getting matched at a counter if you can because these seem to darken a bit as they dry. Do not go by just looking at the bottles either...the frosted plastic makes them look darker in the bottle as well.

The packaging, while minimalistic, sleek, and fuss-free, is messy as heck. It’s a plastic bottle with a tip like that on MAC face and body, but for some reason this one starts flowing from the opening the second it is opened and it gets everywhere. I should note, this one is heavier plastic that the MAC, in case that matters.

Consistency is a bit runny but not super watery or thick either. Reminds me a lot of Dior Forever (original).

The biggest pro besides the wide shade range is: This foundation wears like iron, it truly is transfer proof and waterproof. I cleaned my house, went outside and worked in the flowerbeds in 90 degree heat/awful humidity, swept off my deck, sweated my butt off, changed my clothes, talked on the phone, etc. and it never budged from my jawline OR my arm after 10.5 hours. It took a good solid double cleanse to finally remove it completely. As I mentioned above, the shade range is also a big plus, there are 40 shades with more on the way!

The cost comes in at $40/1oz. which is low-ish for Dior, but high considering the ingredients, IMO.

It was a MONUMENTAL fail for me, but those folks who dig bases like YSL All Hours or can tolerate high concentrations of denatured alcohol/Cyclopentasiloxane, this is definitely one to try! It’s staying power makes me wish bad alcohols weren’t bad and didn’t make look like a wrinkly crypt keeper.

Alas, I know they’re marketing this as “hydrating” and “for all skin types”, but I STRONGLY disagree with these claims.
I would have rated higher because I think those people who are OK with the ingredients and think it’s other qualities sound good, may definitely want to give it a try. Just because I don’t love the ingredient list doesn’t make it unwearable for everyone. However, I just think Dior could’ve done better. A product with THIS much alcohol is certainly NOT suitable for all skin types.

A company like Dior has so many resources at their disposal...this could have been epic, but frankly it is very cheaply formulated. Some may argue the ingredients are necessary for the weartime, but other brands have launched F&B or waterproof foundations with much less harsh formulas.